Battery replacement, with no issues…yet.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I have a 2014 BX25D, and although I have never had issue with starting or charging, I’m going to pick up a new fresh battery for it. I think I’ve gotten max life out of it, after almost 10 years, so off to get a new one today, BEFORE it is an issue.
I do use my tractor every month, and once fired up, usually runs for 30 minutes plus. I’ve been told I over maintain it, 100 hour synthetic oil changes, fuel additives always etc. Filters and fluids more than standard. The battery is the one thing I’ve let go too long.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I have a 2014 BX25D, and although I have never had issue with starting or charging, I’m going to pick up a new fresh battery for it. I think I’ve gotten max life out of it, after almost 10 years, so off to get a new one today, BEFORE it is an issue.
I do use my tractor every month, and once fired up, usually runs for 30 minutes plus. I’ve been told I over maintain it, 100 hour synthetic oil changes, fuel additives always etc. Filters and fluids more than standard. The battery is the one thing I’ve let go too long.
Not sure I would run out and buy another jussst yet!

YOU will have to take that one IN for a core charge - basically "wasting" a good battery that has a little life in it. While I understand your logic - and I get the idea of being prepared, it is a good idea?

Now ....... if you have another 12 volt battery laying around, I have several! TAKE one of those dead ones in and get a new one. Take the new one and place on a maintainer and that way you the best of both worlds!

Reactions: 6 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
If you keep a battery "maintainer" attached while the machine is stored, then 10 years is not unusual.
I just replaced an OEM Corolla battery after 12 years.
Similar to your situation, I replaced it BEFORE it failed!
I ALWAYS have a "maintainer" attached, when machine is not expected to be run in next 30 days

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Not sure I would run out and buy another jussst yet!

YOU will have to take that one IN for a core charge - basically "wasting" a good battery that has a little life in it. While I understand your logic - and I get the idea of being prepared, it is a good idea?

Now ....... if you have another 12 volt battery laying around, I have several! TAKE one of those dead ones in and get a new one. Take the new one and place on a maintainer and that way you the best of both worlds!
BINGO!
I also hold on to one or two dead batteries, just for exchange purposes!

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
I’ve never had to use a maintainer on the tractor, as its usage and constant movement keeps it going. On very cold days, (under 15 or so) I’ll plug in the block heater for a little before I fire it up.
I don’t want to wait till there’s snow on the ground, and I need it. 9-10 years is good for me, I’ll replace it today, as the weather is mild and I’m heading to town anyway.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I think I would just use a battery maintainer on the existing battery when the tractor is stored until it became obvious it was time to get a new battery. UNLESS a day delay in being able to use the tractor was a serious consideration. Even then jumping it one time to get it running would probably fix that issue and provide time to get a replacement, since that tractor is not used daily.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Personal preference. I don't buy a battery until it's needed. I never buy anything lesser quality than Interstate for vehicles. My last tractor had a Strong Box brand, and my researching said they'd crap out at about 1.5-2 years. I connected it to battery maintainer after every use and got 6 years until I sold it and bought my Kubota. The Kubota has been connected after every use shortly after delivery. At this point I'm dollars ahead.

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
My 2013 and 2016 OEM batteries are still working good. Regular battery maintenance. No maintainer. Doubt replacement batteries would last as long.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
bearskinner is practicing “scheduled preventive maintenance”. It’s his tractor and his money. and His peace-of-mind. There’s nothing more maddening than to need something to start NOW….and the battery dead on a piece of equipment parked in some inconvenient spot where it can’t be easily jumpered.

Reactions: 1 users

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
To me replacing the battery before it dies, is no different than changing a fuel filter before it is plugged. I also take in my worst spare battery for a core. Not all batteries are created equal, so I would look into what type you want, before replacing your current one.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Go get a new battery! :):mad: I just got off the phone with Orielly Auto parts. A 750 CCA, style 34/78 PLT is $249.99. It's a dual post battery, but just a battery. I need two of them for a '95 Chev diesel. Seems like $500 dollars to get a junk truck going is out of line. Called Bomgaards (they bought out Orschelen). They have have Interstate batteries with their label on them, same battery dual post on sale $124.95.

Personally, I'd do as others suggested, put a maintainer on it and use it until it give up the ghost.

bearskinner

Equipment
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
It was dated 3/2014, so almost ten years of use. New Interstate is dated 11/2023, so I should be good thru 2031. Heck, I may not be around by then.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Personal preference. I don't buy a battery until it's needed. I never buy anything lesser quality than Interstate for vehicles. My last tractor had a Strong Box brand, and my researching said they'd crap out at about 1.5-2 years. I connected it to battery maintainer after every use and got 6 years until I sold it and bought my Kubota. The Kubota has been connected after every use shortly after delivery. At this point I'm dollars ahead.
The BEST two things about Interstate is (1) that they have high prices, and (2) a VERY slick marketing program.:(

Last edited:

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
Go for it. I’m a big fan of preventative maintenance. If it’s ten years old then I don’t see the issue with putting a new one in. 5 years and ya I’d probably not unless I thought it was getting week. Nothing like a non starting tractor to make you say dang I knew it was getting old and close to the end of its life. I should’ve done it when I was thinking about doing it. When a battery dies on me it’s always at the worst time and place. Not to mention batteries just keep going up in price every year so is waiting really gonna save ya money???

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The BEST two things about Interstate is (1) that they have high prices, and (2) a VERY slick marketing program.:(
I disagree. The BEST thing about Interstate is… they’ll test an Interstate battery and tell you if it can be saved or not…even going so far as to tell you WHICH cell is failed.
The Second-Best thing about Interstate is…. WalMart will accept a failed Interstate for a core-charge when you buy an EverStart. :ROFLMAO:

(while on this subject… can anyone tell me why ANYone will buy a replacement battery at Tractor Supply..?? The same battery at TSC is 30-40% higher than everyone EXCEPT Interstate. TSC is only about 5% higher than Interstate.)

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I disagree. The BEST thing about Interstate is… they’ll test an Interstate battery and tell you if it can be saved or not…even going so far as to tell you WHICH cell is failed.
The Second-Best thing about Interstate is…. WalMart will accept a failed Interstate for a core-charge when you buy an EverStart. :ROFLMAO:

(while on this subject… can anyone tell me why ANYone will buy a replacement battery at Tractor Supply..?? The same battery at TSC is 30-40% higher than everyone EXCEPT Interstate. TSC is only about 5% higher than Interstate.)
My response is:
Buy the EverStart Maxx at Walmart!
They are the best battery buy for the buck!

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
We all have different experiences, I went thru hell with those batteries. NEVER AGAIN!
Yeah, me too.
I had several crap out within 2 years. Just under the free replacement time frame. I replaced 2 under warranty, for free, and when the third battery crapped out, still under warranty, that was the last straw. I happily "paid again" on a different brand. No more problems.

They always gave out with no warning and in an inconvenient location. I wouldn't even consider a Walmart "special" unless there was no other brand available.