Bar's Stop Leak tablets for radiator leak? B6000E

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
Hey there guys, the radiator on this small tractor is leaking but not terribly bad. I do think it's getting worse so I wanted to try to stop the leak. I grabbed some Bar's stop leak tablets and was going to put 1 or 2 in and see if that would stop the leak before I had to take the radiator in to be repaired.

I wanted to run this past you more knowledgeable folks and see if you thought that I would potentially harm anything doing so?

I'm not a fan of "magic potion" bottle remedies but I've heard all good things about Bar's tablets.

Would you give it a shot or no?

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestions. And a yes or no is just fine too.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I would advise against it. I have seen stop leak plug up the block before and then you really have problems. My opinion you'll be money ahead to take it off and have it fixed the right way, but that's just me.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
In a regular automotive type situation , Yes bars will help buy you some time to get it properly fixed without much harm to the system.

Now your little diesel with no water pump and a thermo-siphon system (heat moves the water around), bars or other "stop leaks" makes a complete mess of things and can cause some serious damage as all of the sealer has the potential to just sit gummed up at the bottom of the radiator. :eek::(

Do yourself and the tractor a favor and take it to a radiator shop and have it fixed, the cost of that repair will be far less than a engine rebuild. ;)

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
I would advise against it. I have seen stop leak plug up the block before and then you really have problems. My opinion you'll be money ahead to take it off and have it fixed the right way, but that's just me.
Bulldog, thank you very much for the reply and suggestion. That's my very fear and I've heard stories about the stop leak products but when I asked or researched online it sounded like the "tablets" are different and people say the car dealerships use them also so I thought maybe it would be different.

I appreciate you advice, I might have to take out the radiator and take it to the shop. It's a far drive but it might be worth it. Thank you.

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
In a regular automotive type situation , Yes bars will help buy you some time to get it properly fixed without much harm to the system.

Now your little diesel with no water pump and a thermo-siphon system (heat moves the water around), bars or other "stop leaks" makes a complete mess of things and can cause some serious damage as all of the sealer has the potential to just sit gummed up at the bottom of the radiator. :eek::(

Do yourself and the tractor a favor and take it to a radiator shop and have it fixed, the cost of that repair will be far less than a engine rebuild. ;)
Wolfman, thank you very much for the reply and the educated response. I will do just that. I'll take it to get fixed. Your reply was very well received.

Thank you, sir.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
3x for the no on using stop leak on your bota. Another thing to consider for other folks reading this thread. I've replaced 5 aluminum radiators this year due to someone adding a bunch of stop leak at around 500$ or more a pop. In each case, the radiator had gotten stopped up, so half the sections weren't allowing coolant through.

Stop leak will clog up most modern thermostats as well. The newer thermostats restrict the coolant flow as is, and have very small ports. Adding stop leak to the mix, will plug em up fast :eek:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The dealer technicians absolutely love it when owners use "stop leak" in their tractors. Guaranteed income.

Big Trees

Aug 28, 2015
Texas
I appreciate the responses. I did not use the tablets. I have not had it fixed yet either. Will do that soon. Thanks again.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
While you're waiting and while it's still winter you'll be adding coolant to the radiator occasionally.

Get a plastic 2.5-gal fuel can, use a can of $1 spray paint and paint it 'bright flourescent green', and use it to mix one (1) gallon steam or other distilled water together with one (1) gallon of your preferred """""100%""""" antifreeze.

You'll have a handy pre-mixed solution (oh!) to your problem(s) pending repair.

Avoid the premixed Ready to Use antifreeze mixes. Use distilled ('steam' or 'reverse osmosis') water in gallon jugs from Wally World, locally $0.75. Avoid tap, drinking, or vending machine bulk-dispensed water.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.