barbed fitting for cab heater BX2370

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I used high pressure fuel injection hose for the connections, and I was able to purchase plastic connectors that are designed for coupling heater hoses together. They are stepped at each end, so you cut off the steps to get to the size that you need for each hose. I bought them from NAPA, as well as the hose. I brought the bypass hose with me so I would get the correct size hose and adapters.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
If you scroll down to post #13 you can see how the heater on the L3200 was tied in. Probably some similarities:

BX'r

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 13, 2020
ipsc
BX'r, your third pic clearly shows the short "bypass hose" on the thermostat/pump housing. When I added a heater to my home made cab, that bypass hose was removed and the heater hoses replaced the bypass hose connections. I ran the same size hose all the way up to the cab and then upsized with barb fittings to the 5/8" hose into the heater itself. Much easier to run the small size hose from the pump to the heater and there was still plenty of circulation for the heater to function properly.

When my cab is removed in the spring the bypass hose just gets reinstalled and all is well until the next winter.
The only issue is, I wouldn't be able to shut the heat off to the cab so the hoses would have to be disconnected in the Spring as you pointed out.
I could install shut off valves in order to retain the fluid to the heater.
Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
The only issue is, I wouldn't be able to shut the heat off to the cab so the hoses would have to be disconnected in the Spring as you pointed out.
I could install shut off valves in order to retain the fluid to the heater.
Thanks for your input, much appreciated.
Mine had valves to direct the (hot) engine coolant either though the heater or to close off the heater and bypass it. Since my tie-in points were the bypass, it was necessary for the system to have flow whether the heater was operating or not.

BX'r

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 13, 2020
ipsc
Since my tie-in points were the bypass, it was necessary for the system to have flow whether the heater was operating or not.
What was the purpose for installing valves if the system had to have flow at all times?

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
What was the purpose for installing valves if the system had to have flow at all times?
The engine coolant always needs to flow somewhere. Cold weather the flow is directed through the heater. Warm weather the water bypasses the heater and the flows just like the heater doesn't exist.

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
The engine coolant always needs to flow somewhere. Cold weather the flow is directed through the heater. Warm weather the water bypasses the heater and the flows just like the heater doesn't exist.
BX'r
Allows me to remove my cab during the warmer months. In your case, you'd could close the valves for supply and return to the cab heater and open the bypass valve in the warmer months. Reverse the process when you want cab heat.
barbs on the left go to the bypass hose, hose barbs to the right to the cab heater.
2019-2-5.jpg

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Thanks for the ideas.
Something like this little beauty would work.

View attachment 56857
The one you pictured will certainly work and last forever once you get all the fittings adapted to work for you.

But something like this might simplify it even more with less fittings to figure out: Heater Valve 5/8 Hose Manual Cable Control FOR universal 85698014

Here's a link to it on Ebay: Heater Valve 5/8 Hose Manual Cable Control FOR universal 85698014 | eBay

If you google: Heater control valve, heater valve manual, auto heater control valve, etc. you'll find different sizes/configurations, etc.

This one already set up for 5/8 inch hose is around $22 delivered. You can find them on Ebay, Amazon and most likely your local auto parts store. At least it's another option for you.

Since I remove my cab for the summer, I decided not to put one in. Uncoupling the heater hoses would still require draining down the system to prevent a mess so just as easy to drain, uncouple heater hoses and reinstall the bypass hose. But if you leave your cab in place.....these would make life much easier. :)

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
The one you pictured will certainly work and last forever once you get all the fittings adapted to work for you.

But something like this might simplify it even more with less fittings to figure out: Heater Valve 5/8 Hose Manual Cable Control FOR universal 85698014

Here's a link to it on Ebay: Heater Valve 5/8 Hose Manual Cable Control FOR universal 85698014 | eBay

If you google: Heater control valve, heater valve manual, auto heater control valve, etc. you'll find different sizes/configurations, etc.

This one already set up for 5/8 inch hose is around $22 delivered. You can find them on Ebay, Amazon and most likely your local auto parts store. At least it's another option for you.

Since I remove my cab for the summer, I decided not to put one in. Uncoupling the heater hoses would still require draining down the system to prevent a mess so just as easy to drain, uncouple heater hoses and reinstall the bypass hose. But if you leave your cab in place.....these would make life much easier. :)
This one doesn't look like it would isolate the lines from the heater.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
This one doesn't look like it would isolate the lines from the heater.
You are correct in that it wouldn't completely isolate the heater hose lines. But it should route the coolant flow through the heater or bypass it. In the bypass mode the one side of the heater is still connected to the "return line" but since the supply side is now only routed to that return line only and not to the heater input side.....There'd be no flow through the heater. Since his cab (and heater) isn't being removed it shouldn't matter that there would still be coolant just sitting in the heater/lines and not flowing. If the cab was going to be removed.....the one common port to the heater would have to be plugged.....or a more complicated valve set up used......or none at all and just replace the bypass hose.

I looked briefly for a flow chart for the valve but couldn't find one readily to post a pic of it. I'll keep looking for a flow chart since it's been quite a few years since we replaced one of these as kids on our high school beater car. :)

BX'r

Equipment
BX2370
Jun 13, 2020
ipsc
I might fabricate one.
One piece of copper pipe, three valves, two T's and four barb fittings.

chim

Equipment
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
You are correct in that it wouldn't completely isolate the heater hose lines. But it should route the coolant flow through the heater or bypass it. In the bypass mode the one side of the heater is still connected to the "return line" but since the supply side is now only routed to that return line only and not to the heater input side.....There'd be no flow through the heater. Since his cab (and heater) isn't being removed it shouldn't matter that there would still be coolant just sitting in the heater/lines and not flowing. If the cab was going to be removed.....the one common port to the heater would have to be plugged.....or a more complicated valve set up used......or none at all and just replace the bypass hose.

I looked briefly for a flow chart for the valve but couldn't find one readily to post a pic of it. I'll keep looking for a flow chart since it's been quite a few years since we replaced one of these as kids on our high school beater car. :)
My mistake. There were mentions of removing the cab but it wasn't the OP.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
If you want to avoid the coolant mess when removing the cab, install quickconnect fittings. Plumbed correctly ,you can easily disconnect cab, reconnect engine hoses. Similar to a BX23S BH system.