Bad tire - good tire

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
After I posted this I realized I didn't post it in the "Service, Repair & Maintenance" forum. Sorry for the mess up.

I purchased my tractor brand new in '05. The only annoying habit this wonderful tractor ever demanded was with the front left tire.
Every time I would do the pretrip checking the oil and tire pressures the front left would always need to be topped off. Eventually it got worse and the tire would be at "0" psi. Put the air in it up and inspected with no screw or other objects stuck in the tire, nothing. Even the valve stem was tight with no leaks. Using the soapy solution I found the leak to be from the the rim/bead location!
I expected the worse thinking the tire or rim was bad and needed replaced. Pulled the wheel and took it to the tractor dealer explaining my problem.
To him it was no problem and said it was actually common with tractors that had a tire run flat. Well, I've nursed that thing but never run it flat. Anyway, he took it to his tire maching and broke the bead loose and cleaned the bead and inside of the rim real well then filled it back up...no leaks.
Long story short if you have a tire that always leaks down there might be some granuals of dirt in the bead area that need to be cleaned out.

Scott

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If you happen to have an air compressor, you can break the bead and re seat in with just the compressor. Go to your local auto parts store and buy a tire tool that takes the valve stem core out from the inside. It opens the whole up and allows more air in to where you can re seat the bead on the rim.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
If you happen to have an air compressor, you can break the bead and re seat in with just the compressor. Go to your local auto parts store and buy a tire tool that takes the valve stem core out from the inside. It opens the whole up and allows more air in to where you can re seat the bead on the rim.
Eric,
Thanks for the very helpful advice. I do actually have an air compressor and I will be trying your procedure next time.

But this way looks FUN!.....

ptwyz

Equipment
BX2660, FEL, tiller, disc cultivator, tine cultivator, rear blade, MMM, & more!!
Jan 7, 2010
McCutchenville, Ohio, USA
Eric,
Thanks for the very helpful advice. I do actually have an air compressor and I will be trying your procedure next time.

But this way looks FUN!.....

OMG, that looks like a small nuclear explosion :eek:
It even looks a little like it has a mushroom cloud :eek:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
LMAO yeah I've used that method too and it scares the hell out of people! Alot of people dont know that you can fill tires without a tire chuck on the end of an air hose, just stick the end of the house over the valve stem and push down it will blow the tires up.

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
OMG, that looks like a small nuclear explosion :eek:
It even looks a little like it has a mushroom cloud :eek:
LMAO yeah I've used that method too and it scares the hell out of people! .....
I work a ten hour shift and just got home after working a double so I'm kinda having one of those mind numbing out of body experiences.
I haven't stopped laughing after reading both of your guys posts.
You two are killing me :p

Well, I'm heading back to the B7800 thread before sacking out.
I need inspiration for some sweet dreams!

Scott

gmtinker

Equipment
'07 BX1850 w/FEL, '06 John Deere X300
Mar 6, 2009
Stony Plain, Alberta
The left front tire on my BX was my Achilles' heel on that thing until I finally fixed the tire about 4 months ago. After buying the tractor, I found the tire leaking down slowly, and discovered 3 plugs in it from the previous owner's repairs. Removed the plugs, replaced the valve stem for good measure, topped it up. It went flat slowly again. Popped the tire off, cleaned the bead, reseated it, it leaked down. Used the bead sealer goop, reseated, leaked down again. At that point, talked with my Kubota dealer, and he said it's actually quite common on these dinky little tractor tires to leak like that, and so I tubed it as he suggested, which finally fixed it.

As for the bead seating using some form of flammable volatile substance, I've seen it done at one of the shops I worked at, and it's definitely NOT an OSHA-approved practice, even if it does evoke the giddy little schoolboy in all of us.:D

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
The left front tire on my BX was my Achilles' heel on that thing until I finally fixed the tire about 4 months ago. After buying the tractor, I found the tire leaking down slowly, and discovered 3 plugs in it from the previous owner's repairs. Removed the plugs, replaced the valve stem for good measure, topped it up. It went flat slowly again. Popped the tire off, cleaned the bead, reseated it, it leaked down. Used the bead sealer goop, reseated, leaked down again. At that point, talked with my Kubota dealer, and he said it's actually quite common on these dinky little tractor tires to leak like that, and so I tubed it as he suggested, which finally fixed it.

As for the bead seating using some form of flammable volatile substance, I've seen it done at one of the shops I worked at, and it's definitely NOT an OSHA-approved practice, even if it does evoke the giddy little schoolboy in all of us.:D
Leaky tires are a pain in the arse! Tubes are a pretty good idea as you can also fill them with a goo to seal them if needed.

As far as OSHA, I can only imagine the look on that fed's face if he walked into the shop while you are lighting the gas :eek:

A long time ago I had a buddy that was lighting off a tire but he was using a small lighter and we had a few beers. His hand was too close and when it lit off his thumb go caught between the tire and rim. I never laughed so hard, that was funny.

Scott

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
You need a better (more flammable) grade of starting fluid than they are marketing now to inflate a tire this way.

It is also not a good idea to do it with aluminum wheels.

Robert, (who used to work in a tire shop).

boz_22182

Equipment
M7800
Sep 9, 2011
Hillsborough County, Florida
Hey guys, I have the same problem. Front left loses half its pressure after a couple of weeks and needs to be topped off. No visible punctures, objects and i cant see any previous plugs. Can a regular tire place take a look at it or do I have to take it to the kubota dealer?

cmorningstar01

Equipment
B7500HST LA302 FEL 5'Finish Mower B5100E 46" Snow Plow 22 ton splitter
Mar 27, 2011
Pemberton NJ USA
Nylon web straps cinched around the circumference of the tire will many times seat both beads and some times you can even remove the cinch before starting to fill them with air.
Not as exciting as the nuclear blast method but certainly much safer, Just remember to loosen the cinch once the beads start to set.

asbug

Equipment
B7001 - looks orange to me... Woods 5' scrape, 42" rotary cutter, shreader/chip.
Feb 11, 2011
Varnell,GA - USA
Nylon web straps cinched around the circumference of the tire will many times seat both beads and some times you can even remove the cinch before starting to fill them with air.
Not as exciting as the nuclear blast method but certainly much safer, Just remember to loosen the cinch once the beads start to set.
X2.
This is how I seat stuff I have around the house.
KC

WinnieCouple

Equipment
L245DT, razor brush hog, small disc, double bottom plow, 5' Turfline Box Blade.
Aug 1, 2011
Hico, Texas
I work in a bunch of big Texas mesquite thorns... so a few pumps of green slime in the tires, works GREAT. But then my tires are so old and dry rotted, with hairy old plugs showing, but it works for me.

meanjean

Equipment
Kubota MX4700
Aug 10, 2010
Hazelridge, Manitoba
Any tire shop should be able to help you.

Aluminium rins are especially bad for bead leaks.
As the tire wears, small particles of rubber inhibit a good seat between tire and rim.