Backhoe advice

alabamatoy

Dec 24, 2017
Somewhere, Alabama
New owner of a L3901. Looking at adding a backhoe. I will not be doing the 3-point thing, too many disasters there. What is best brand, source for purchase? The Kubota seems high priced compared to Woods, for example. Any experience with the Woods equipment? Any lessons learned from yall who DIYed install of BH would be appreciated.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Woods builds good products. Kubota builds a great unit also! Technically if not an approved implement it will void the warranty on the tractor.

Pat

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I don’t know if this is any help - I bought a woods 3ph blade and 3ph finishing mower 30 years ago. After 10 years the mower gear box failed and I bought a Land Pride (Kubota) 3ph finishing mower as replacement and I’m still using it today. I also owned a frame mounted NH backhoe (8 foot digging depth) and now own a Kubota TLB.

Here’s my observations:
Woods blade is heavy duty and no problems-I still use it regularly.
Woods mower was lightweight, poorly designed and didn’t last. I had a lot of maintenance issues with it. Homeowner duty at best.
The land pride mower is built like a tank. Heavy construction, greasable fittings everywhere. I currently use it as a bush hog mower in tall grass in the back 40 and it certainly takes a lot of abuse finding hidden rocks, tree saplings etc. Farm duty for sure.
After 10 years the NH backhoe just plain wore out. Lots of breakages, bushings all oval. PITA to hook up on the tractor. I would consider this homeowner duty at best.
The Kubota TLB is way heavier duty built and is considered construction duty by Kubota. All pins and bushings are HD and have protected zerks. Way easier to put on and remove from the tractor and solidly attached to the frame. Overall I will say it’s well designed.

So what’s my point?
Don’t buy on price alone. I will now only buy heavy duty well made attachments. I will not buy homeowner duty stuff anymore because you end up paying twice as much for it as you will have to buy a new one after a short time to replace it.

As another aside 7 years ago I bought a Kubota ZD326 zero turn at the same time my neighbor bought the Cub Cadet HD zero turn mower. He rolled his eyes and told me I got screwed by paying twice as much for my machine as he did. I just shrugged my shoulders and thought we’ll see how our machines do in comparison- commercial duty vs homeowner duty both doing similar work.

My ZD is built like a tank and other than regular maintenance items like blades and a new set of scalp wheels my machine is still going strong. Last summer my neighbor traded his machine in for a JD commercial duty Zero turn unit. He said he got tired of constantly welding breaks and fixing breakdowns on his club cadet and wanted to be cutting grass instead.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Mike, excellent points!!!

Better to spend a little more and have a device work longer and better! Thus Kubota's story!:p

TRA

Equipment
B2601, LA434, BH70, LP BB1260
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
I live by “Buy once, cry once”. Get the best in class what ever and never look back. Go with the Kubota BH.

bluelou212

Equipment
BX2670, L3901 TLB
Nov 20, 2017
Callicoon, NY, USA
New owner of a L3901. Looking at adding a backhoe. I will not be doing the 3-point thing, too many disasters there. What is best brand, source for purchase? The Kubota seems high priced compared to Woods, for example. Any experience with the Woods equipment? Any lessons learned from yall who DIYed install of BH would be appreciated.
I had to make the exact same call this past Friday. Bought an L3901 with Kubota hoe and thumb. Having the Kubota warranty on both the tractor and hoe was what mattered to me.

If you think about it in terms of time to failure, most defective equipment should fail early in its life. I wanted to make sure I was covered end-to-end for that first 100 hours or so.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Best advice I can give you is buy one for an L3560 and send it this way. All kidding aside the other guys gave good advice, spend the money once, buy the best you can.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I went round and round looking at different backhoe's from different mfg.'s including 3ph type. I finally settled with a Kubota BH92 with sub-frame installed by dealer. Peace-of-mind and warranty, as well as one hell of a machine.

Mike.O

Equipment
B2650
Mar 28, 2017
CT
This post is a few days old, but I figured I would share my experience with both.

I have the BH77 on my B2650 and my dad has the Woods Groundbreaker 80 on his L2800. Its a clean swap for the backhoes, as in if went the Woods route on my machine it would be the 80 and if my dad went with the Kubota one on his it would have been the BH77.

I find the Kubota BH77 to be much more refined and user friendly. Its very easy to be smooth and have the machine do what you want. Multi functions are very easy to find/use. It is a very well built unit and hasn't disappointed me one bit.

The Woods Groundbreaker 80 is a little tougher to use. Its a lot jerkier and it is a hell of a lot harder to find the sweet spots for multi-functions (Boom and Stick) at the same time. It is 100% way more powerful and much faster through the movements. Its a very well built unit and very heavy duty. Once you get acquanited with the controls it I find it to be a better unit than the BH77.

gkk2001

Equipment
F3680, L3800 HST
Aug 14, 2011
Central GA, USA
All excellent advice. Probably not adding much here but I have the BH77 and also find it to be a superb unit. A truely great purchase. My rational was a Kubota brand will aid in resale if I reach that day and we never know.
And I trust Kubota engineering, who knows the tractor better than Kubota, nobody. I do not doubt the Woods unit would also be quite good but I really did not consider it for more than 2 minutes.

gkk2001

Equipment
F3680, L3800 HST
Aug 14, 2011
Central GA, USA
Thought I would add, you ask about any DIY experience with the installation. I am an old guy, >60 and my DIY days are over, surely for jobs like this.

My hunch, if you have help, the subframe would be not too much to handle. Once installed, the BH77 mounts easily with the proper procedure. Hydraulics plumbing might pose some challenge.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I'm picking up my sub-frame for my BH77 today for my L3901, I will let you know how hard it is to install. I bought the BH77 used and the guy didn't want to sell the sub-frame in case he would want a BH again.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
sounds like you made a good choice. I've always liked the way Kubota runs the hydraulic lines inside the booms. They are well protected. I don't think you often find that on after market brands.

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Ok, now this is just a Thought. I am looking to expand just a little with my tractor and get a hoe. Just small jobs that’s why I’m looking at this instead of a mini. I’d like a 3pt and am impressed with woods 750. With all the stories I’m really considering the BH92. What kind of jobs are you guys doing / getting with this machine. It obviously not the big dog on the block but it’s obviously bigger and stronger than a BX and people seem to love them on those machines. Also, what are you guys charging to run his attachment? I don’t k is if I will, but I’d love to make a move on this, this year .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alabamatoy

Dec 24, 2017
Somewhere, Alabama
I’d like a 3pt and am impressed with woods 750.
I have had two different professional tractor guys tell me that they have seen the 3PT backhoes do serious damage to a tractor on multiple occasions. One was the TAG Equipment Kubota dealer in Chattanooga and the other was John Irby used tractor dealer near Birmingham where I purchased my L3901. For this reason I am staying away from the less expensive 3PT style BH.

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
I have had two different professional tractor guys tell me that they have seen the 3PT backhoes do serious damage to a tractor on multiple occasions. One was the TAG Equipment Kubota dealer in Chattanooga and the other was John Irby used tractor dealer near Birmingham where I purchased my L3901. For this reason I am staying away from the less expensive 3PT style BH.

You’re absolutely correct and I’ve heard the same. I shouldn’t go cheap. Do it, and do it right.

With that said, I’m pretty sure there is no need to get a miniex at this point. Just want to add a few odd jobs to my current company. Not go into excavating. I like to be able to give an entire package to a customer and not have to get someone else for that part. Also, it could cause losing a job. With having a small backhoe on my machine, I think this fits that niche. Not looking to jump into a bigger payment / insurance for another machine plus the increase of insurance for the business etc.

Also, bare with my thoughts as I am rambling but trying to decide which way to go with a purchase when the time allows.

I really don’t see digging more than 4’ or can 5’ tops. But I do know is a bigger hoe has a nice reach and better loading height. And I “assume”, if I get a hoe, I will find things to do with it.

I don’t even feel like rereading my ramble, doubt anyone else will either

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk