B8200 Power Steering

Kubotaed

Oct 8, 2016
Traverse City
This is the system I have installed on my B8200. It works well and was fairly economical. I have about $400 invested. There may be some better ideas out there, but this is what I did. I also installed this system, using the GM pump on my L245DT about 30 years ago and it is still working fine. This system's pump is from a 1986 Nissan Pathfinder although many others will work. Finding one this small, with a v-belt pulley was difficult. The control valve and slave cylinder is from a 1963-1982 Corvette. Many are available on eBay. The reservoir is from a 2006 Hyundai, but again many others will work. I had the hoses made at a local hydraulic shop. The brackets for the pump, slave cylinder and reservoir, I fabricated out of scrap steel. This is a power assist system which allows for much quicker steering than a hydro-static system and still provides steering capabilities in the event of a failure of the system. I hope this is helpful.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Thanks for posting. My neighbor has a B9200 and just asked me if power steering is available for his tractor, so you posting is very timely.

So how well does it work?

Any chance you could post the part numbers used? I might have to follow your lead to help him out... Any advice would be appreciated.

JoeUser

Equipment
B7100
Sep 18, 2018
Carrollton, TX
I know this thread is bit over a year and a half old, but it definitely looks like something I'd like to try with my B7100-D (non HST).

Has anyone else attempted this conversion? I'm definitely interested in that pitman arm assisted valve, as it appears to be the only component that's not as easily procured...

ldunlap

Equipment
B6100
May 26, 2018
Palestine, IL
I would also be interested in more information on this. Preferably, at 3 of the 4 attachment points.

1. The point at bottom of the pitman arm coming from the steering box that attaches to the hydraulic control.

2.The second point at the threaded end of the hydraulic control attaching to the drag link.

3. The third point where one end of the cylinder attaches to the knuckle arm at the top of the king pin.

Kabota

Equipment
Kabota L1801DT special
Nov 30, 2018
Summerville Pa.
I am planing to add power steering to my L1801DT. Have been looking around for solutions. I prefer an assist and found this diy semi kit made for Yanmar.

https://www.hoyetractor.com/PROD/PSC-178.htm

Double click on the thumbnails and they will expand

I like this set up .... it is simpler to mount since the sensor is attached to the slave cylinder.

I have a lot of garden tractor knowledge and the super size Bolens garden tractor had an option for power assist and in principle was exactly like this Yanmar kit.

Last edited:

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I am planing to add power steering to my L1801DT. Have been looking around for solutions. I prefer an assist and found this diy semi kit made for Yanmar.

I like this set up .... it is simpler to mount since the sensor is attached to the slave cylinder.

I have a lot of garden tractor knowledge and the super size Bolens garden tractor had an option for power assist and in principle was exactly like this Yanmar kit.
So when do you plan on starting the PS upgrade?

Please post pictures and part numbers when completed.

Good luck!

Kabota

Equipment
Kabota L1801DT special
Nov 30, 2018
Summerville Pa.
So when do you plan on starting the PS upgrade?

Please post pictures and part numbers when completed.

Good luck!
Well the tractor was bought with cracked head and an engine rebuild is in order starting Jan 1 and I figure on allowing a month since I need to go slow because I do not know what I am doing.

Power steering will follow engine rebuild and then refurbishment which will include body work and paint.

I have a thread on this tractor in Gray Market Forum

However I do presently have quite a bit more commentary here and so as I find time will be posting more here.

I have adapted a JD 400 assist onto a 300 series garden tractor and I have some parts tractors here (garden tractor) and I know some are too small but the Sunstar might not be .... but it is true power steering. Also will comment on some other equipment that might have the right stuff to convert compact tractors (hint) .... Jacobsen commercial grounds keeping mowers for one. :)

Last edited:

ldunlap

Equipment
B6100
May 26, 2018
Palestine, IL

I like this setup as well. Just curious if the ball joint would work on a Kubota. I emailed the above company and asked.

I found a couple of older threads on another forum, (not sure if I can mention the name of the forum so I won't), that talked about a similar kit for Kubotas. The cylinders looked identical. Around 2010, the threads stopped and the listed website is no more.

Thread titles are: "Power steering in 90 minutes" , and
"Now my B6100 has power steering"

If I continue on this adventure, possibly next spring, I will start another thread.

Larry

bmower1

Equipment
Kubota b6100 tractor with fel
Dec 26, 2020
Idaho
Did you continue your adventure adding power steering to your tractor?

doc harper

Equipment
kubota L245dt
Oct 31, 2021
mancos, colorado
This is the system I have installed on my B8200. It works well and was fairly economical. I have about $400 invested. There may be some better ideas out there, but this is what I did. I also installed this system, using the GM pump on my L245DT about 30 years ago and it is still working fine. This system's pump is from a 1986 Nissan Pathfinder although many others will work. Finding one this small, with a v-belt pulley was difficult. The control valve and slave cylinder is from a 1963-1982 Corvette. Many are available on eBay. The reservoir is from a 2006 Hyundai, but again many others will work. I had the hoses made at a local hydraulic shop. The brackets for the pump, slave cylinder and reservoir, I fabricated out of scrap steel. This is a power assist system which allows for much quicker steering than a hydro-static system and still provides steering capabilities in the event of a failure of the system. I hope this is helpful.
im wanting to put the power steering assist on my L245dt. i know this thread is pretty old but maybe you can help. did you mount the power steering pump on the left side of engine as in the picutre. my alternator is on the left. is the picture of a L245dt or the b8200. any help would be appreciated. thanks doc

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
Here are more pictures.
I know this thread is old, but I just stumbled onto it and have to sat, SWEETTTTT, Love it well done!

I am doing a PS upgrade on a L175 right now, got it working but still have stuff to work around for the finish.

Samantha

doc harper

Equipment
kubota L245dt
Oct 31, 2021
mancos, colorado
I know this thread is old, but I just stumbled onto it and have to sat, SWEETTTTT, Love it well done!

I am doing a PS upgrade on a L175 right now, got it working but still have stuff to work around for the finish.

Samantha.
im putting power steering assist on my kubota L245dt. the conrtol valve and cylinder are from a 1968 corvette. i got this idea from kubotoed. the difference between his unit and mine is he used a engine mounted power steering pump from a nissan pathfinder and im using an electric pump from a Volvo s40. year model is 2011. still in early stages because of my welding skills not that good. hope to get some pictures soon

South 40

Equipment
L1500DT, 750 Ford backhoe, 49 D4 Cat Repowered with 6.9L Diesel
Nov 12, 2012
Bloomsdale, Mo. USA
im putting power steering assist on my kubota L245dt. the conrtol valve and cylinder are from a 1968 corvette. i got this idea from kubotoed. the difference between his unit and mine is he used a engine mounted power steering pump from a nissan pathfinder and im using an electric pump from a Volvo s40. year model is 2011. still in early stages because of my welding skills not that good. hope to get some pictures soon
Doc,

Pics, pics, pics, lol, and don't worry about the welds they don't have to be pretty as long as they hold, (Brawn over Beauty) :)

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
So im a car guy first and since adding power steering is probably a lot more common on cars than tractors ive carried some of those thoughts over with me too.. I have a toyota MR-S with electrically driven hydraulic pump, similar to the S40 setup although the volvo stuff is a lot more common probably on ebay or in junkyards etc.

One thought i've wanted to try is to simply mount a rack and pinion longitudinally alongside the tractor engine/trans and use one of the inner tie rods to push on the tractor 'steering arm'. As seen in this beautiful rendering :ROFLMAO: I'll check back if i ever do it..
1677004332598.png

doc harper

Equipment
kubota L245dt
Oct 31, 2021
mancos, colorado
So im a car guy first and since adding power steering is probably a lot more common on cars than tractors ive carried some of those thoughts over with me too.. I have a toyota MR-S with electrically driven hydraulic pump, similar to the S40 setup although the volvo stuff is a lot more common probably on ebay or in junkyards etc.

One thought i've wanted to try is to simply mount a rack and pinion longitudinally alongside the tractor engine/trans and use one of the inner tie rods to push on the tractor 'steering arm'. As seen in this beautiful rendering :ROFLMAO: I'll check back if i ever do it..
View attachment 96287
this may work. the corvette stuff i used requires a lot of fabrication. hope someone tries the rack n pinion