B7800 disappointments.

Hodgy

Equipment
B7800, front blade, box blade, subsoiler & 3 PTH snowblower
Apr 19, 2019
Canada

Have had the 06' B7800 for a month now and not really done any work with it. On the weekend we had 40 cm of snow (16"). Got out and used the blade to clear some snow on the 10 driveways I do. Some observations.

The lack of a road gear, speed, is crappy. I don't go further than a mile but it just crawls along, miss my TEA-20 and its' high gear.

This may be fixable but the "cruise control" locks but only at about 2/3's of the highest speed the HST is capable of.

The good thing is the 7800 can sure push snow. This time of the year the snow is wet and heavy and I was pushing with snow coming over the top of the blade and it seamed the tractor was not even working. On one of the long lanes I pushed 1/4 mile in 2WD.

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
That is unfortunate news, pushing snow this time of year..

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
The cruise on my 90 B7100 never worked well. It was supposed to maintain the pedal position by friction, but the steel was too slick. It would only hold about half speed or so- never full. I think it was a good idea, but a less than perfect execution.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
I had to adjust the stop screw on that limits the HST pedal on my tractor to get the cruise control to hold max pedal.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Have had the 06' B7800 for a month now and not really done any work with it. On the weekend we had 40 cm of snow (16"). Got out and used the blade to clear some snow on the 10 driveways I do. Some observations.

The lack of a road gear, speed, is crappy. I don't go further than a mile but it just crawls along, miss my TEA-20 and its' high gear.

This may be fixable but the "cruise control" locks but only at about 2/3's of the highest speed the HST is capable of.

The good thing is the 7800 can sure push snow. This time of the year the snow is wet and heavy and I was pushing with snow coming over the top of the blade and it seamed the tractor was not even working. On one of the long lanes I pushed 1/4 mile in 2WD.

You will not find CUTS/SCUTS, hydrostat or otherwise, that travel much beyond 10-12 MPH due to safety (read liability) concerns.

SDT

Hodgy

Equipment
Apr 19, 2019
Canada
You will not find CUTS/SCUTS, hydrostat or otherwise, that travel much beyond 10-12 MPH due to safety (read liability) concerns.

SDT

Thats why I like my 53' TEA-20, when Harry Ferguson and Henry Ford did a handshake deal to provide a tractor that worked for the common man. (Read before the nanny state started saving the shallow end of the gene pool and letting them loose on the rest of us.) There is a reason that a hand held hair dryer has a warning not use it in the bathtub.

Half of these idiots would not have made it to manhood, they would have not made it out of their home town and the bodys' would never have been found.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Reminds me of my buddy's International. It's what they call a Western tractor. In high gear it runs about 28 mph.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Thats why I like my 53' TEA-20, when Harry Ferguson and Henry Ford did a handshake deal to provide a tractor that worked for the common man. (Read before the nanny state started saving the shallow end of the gene pool and letting them loose on the rest of us.) There is a reason that a hand held hair dryer has a warning not use it in the bathtub.

Half of these idiots would not have made it to manhood, they would have not made it out of their home town and the bodys' would never have been found.

Actually, the Ford/Ferguson handshake deal ended in 1947 (48?), resulting in the Ford 8N and the Ferguson 20.

Though I've slowly sold off most of my vintage Fords after the barn turned orange, I still own the 1952 8N with 1,100 original hours. It has a Sherman combination auxiliary transmission (12 speeds forward, 3 reverse, 3 speed PTO). It will make over 20 MPH in 4th OD and runs away from my RTV-X1100C.

Complete agreement about the nanny state but blame tort attorneys for much of the nonsense.

SDT

Hodgy

Equipment
Apr 19, 2019
Canada
Actually, the Ford/Ferguson handshake deal ended in 1947 (48?), resulting in the Ford 8N and the Ferguson 20.

Though I've slowly sold off most of my vintage Fords after the barn turned orange, I still own the 1952 8N with 1,100 original hours. It has a Sherman combination auxiliary transmission (12 speeds forward, 3 reverse, 3 speed PTO). It will make over 20 MPH in 4th OD and runs away from my RTV-X1100C.

Complete agreement about the nanny state but blame tort attorneys for much of the nonsense.

SDT

Yes but out of the handshake deal came that marvellous 3 PTH Ferguson system on all of the "N" tractors. I have owned 3 Fergusons over the years, 49' TE-20, 50' TE-20 both with Continental Red-Seal engines and the 53' TEA-20 with the Standard engine.

Main work for all three was blowing snow with the 3 PTH, 6 foot, V-Type blower. I have owned 4 of them through the years and the one I have now is the best one.

The Sherman transmission is great. When I lived in Manitoba one of my neighbours had a Ford/Funk flathead V-8 with a Sherman.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Dad had a '40 9N with that two speed (8F, 2R) transmission. In even low gear, low 1st was way too fast to work with it at low speeds. It wouldn't crawl. You had to slip the clutch quite a bit to do slow stuff. Updraft carb was sorry. The engine drinks gas like no tomorrow and makes half the power that a OHV engine of the same size makes for the same amount of fuel used. The 3ph sucked. The engine was weak. 1st high was ridiclous, 4th high (road gear) was stupid and honestly dangerous for that old ill-handling, poor driving excuse for a tractor.

They were fine in 1940, but by today's standards, they SUCK. Novelty is all they are now. Dad's was showroom nice until my brother got a hold of it (now destroyed and sold for scrap). Dad and myself did all the work including completely stripping it for re-painting, all the way down to the internals. Every single part. Rebuild engine, everything. While it was a cool antique and fun to run it as long as you didn't need any kind of slow speed stuff done, it was just hard to use. And with no loader and 4x4, in this area really had no use other than shows and parades.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
The cruise on my 90 B7100 never worked well. It was supposed to maintain the pedal position by friction, but the steel was too slick. It would only hold about half speed or so- never full. I think it was a good idea, but a less than perfect execution.
I tweaked mine to get it to hold at full speed (or very nearly so, anyway). I used it once. Roading the tractor about 2 miles to help out a friend of the wife, I was hugging the shoulder to let a car past when I hit a soft spot where the snowplow filled in the ditch. I felt it starting to sink in, but couldn't release the "cruise control" fast enough before the steering jerked right and pulled me all the way in.

I've never used the cruise feature again.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Dad had a '40 9N with that two speed (8F, 2R) transmission. In even low gear, low 1st was way too fast to work with it at low speeds. It wouldn't crawl. You had to slip the clutch quite a bit to do slow stuff. Updraft carb was sorry. The engine drinks gas like no tomorrow and makes half the power that a OHV engine of the same size makes for the same amount of fuel used. The 3ph sucked. The engine was weak. 1st high was ridiclous, 4th high (road gear) was stupid and honestly dangerous for that old ill-handling, poor driving excuse for a tractor.

They were fine in 1940, but by today's standards, they SUCK. Novelty is all they are now. Dad's was showroom nice until my brother got a hold of it (now destroyed and sold for scrap). Dad and myself did all the work including completely stripping it for re-painting, all the way down to the internals. Every single part. Rebuild engine, everything. While it was a cool antique and fun to run it as long as you didn't need any kind of slow speed stuff done, it was just hard to use. And with no loader and 4x4, in this area really had no use other than shows and parades.
Though I've slowly sold most of my vintage Fords, I kept the 1952 8N with Sherman combination (12 F, 3R, 3 PTO) and just over 1,100 original hours.

I have 5 Kubota tractors but the 8N is still the first one out of the barn.

SDT