B7100 replacement aftermarket seat choices

chickenfriend

Jul 2, 2016
FR, VA
kubota B7100. I need a replacement seat.

The old seat pan is rusted through. This particular tractor has a pivot bracket in the front, so the seat will fold down over the steering wheel, and a bracket in the rear which has two rubber cushioning pillars. Also, that rear bracket spans the distance between the two fenders and bolts to them to brace them.

Will the suspension-style seats, like the one from Tractor Supply or Agri-Supply, work on this without removing the cross-brace?

Moreover, will any aftermarket seat without having to remove the rear bracket/brace?

More interested in aftermarket seat than stock Kubota, which I never liked.

Here are some pics of the stock seat bracketing:

I do see that bolt>

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
kubota B7100. I need a replacement seat.

The old seat pan is rusted through. This particular tractor has a pivot bracket in the front, so the seat will fold down over the steering wheel, and a bracket in the rear which has two rubber cushioning pillars. Also, that rear bracket spans the distance between the two fenders and bolts to them to brace them.

Will the suspension-style seats, like the one from Tractor Supply or Agri-Supply, work on this without removing the cross-brace?

Moreover, will any aftermarket seat without having to remove the rear bracket/brace?

More interested in aftermarket seat than stock Kubota, which I never liked.
I bought one of those suspension seats from tractor supply - got it for about $100. Once installed, it sat too high, I have some hill sides that I cut on and the center of gravity made me a little uneasy. SO I "strapped" it down, I like the ride now, I basically nullified any of the suspension, but now I am back down to a lower more normal level.

chickenfriend

Jul 2, 2016
FR, VA
Thank you for your reply and pictures.

I see from your pictures that you left in the rear bracket which anchors the fenders, or maybe I am seeing something else?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I cut the 2 front brackets off of the old pan, welded those brackets to a flat plate top, drilled 4 holes to match the new seat and bolted on a new seat.

chickenfriend

Jul 2, 2016
FR, VA
Thanks for all the advice! I had not received notifications of replies, so I guess I need to check my forum settings.

I went with a non-suspension Tractor Supply seat. It is called "Black Talon". I think it was around $130.

I cut the two brackets off the old Kubota seat. They are sloppily welded on the ends so it was easy to grind down the weld then split it with a cold chisel.

In addition to the adjustment holes on the sides of the brackets for seat position, there is also one hole on the bottom. It is just a plain hole, no bolt goes through it but it does save you from having to drill a hole, since you can run the hold-down bolt for each bracket through it.

The center-to-center the old Kubota seat of these holes is 17-1/2", and the two pairs of hole spacings on the Talon seat are exactly the same. That means that when the brackets are attached to the seat, they fit the pivot member perfectly, and that the bracket can be mounted in two different areas on the seat pan.

The only problem with using that one hole is that the bolt head will prevent the use of the middle of the three pivot pin adjustment holes.

I tried a few positions, but decided to go middle-of-the-road. I used the most forward position of the seat pan holes, coupled with the rearmost adjustment position with the pin pivots. Here, I can look straight down and see the entire shifter boot, and the seat is not so far forward that I have to do the high hurdle move to get off the tractor, nor am I so far back that it have to lean a lot to steer.

So, I was thankful the seat pan bolt holes, two pairs of them, were exactly 17-1/2" on center, identical to the Kubota.

If I had used the next pair of seat pan bolt holes, I could have a seat which sits way back, or very close to the shifter. Like I said, I could not use the middle pivots because the seat pan bolt head does not clear the rubber pivot bushings holders. You could probably get the middle adjustment if you ground down half the thickness of the bolt head, but I found I could get the same position by using the frontmost set of bolt holes on the pan with the rearmost pin position on the adjustment bracket.

However, the biggest problem was that the 3 pt hitch lever hit the side of the seat where the trim is.

To fix this, I bent the lever toward the fender more, as much as I could manage without removing the fender, and I bent the seat trim and the metal flange supporting it (thus making it non-returnable), with a deadblow hammer.

The combination gives enough clearance.

One alternative would have been to put another hole in each seat bracket slightly offset, to make the seat slightly offset. That might give you another 1/4 inch.

As far as the seat itself, it feels good and feels well-made. I do think I would prefer the same design but with half the height in the back. The back tilts backwards, and I never would drive it that relaxed. You don't lock into the seat--no bolsters, so don't nod-off while you are driving. If you do mowing where you duck to miss branches, be aware that you may clear but the seat might not.

The seat is made in China, but the pan holes are 5/16" SAE. You will need two bolts about 1/2" long, with a plain washer, and definitely locktite on the threads or a lockwasher.

The seat pivots forward just like the original Kubota seat- that keeps the dew off it and the hot sun.

I don't see any mounting bracket of the back of the back for a safety triangle. The original Kubota seat had that and one or two other brackets I never figured out the purpose of.

Pics later....

Last edited:

chickenfriend

Jul 2, 2016
FR, VA
I replaced the seat on my B7100, and now my wife doesn't want me to sell it! She thinks it's her back field mower.
Nice looking seat. Love the armrests.

Here are the Kubota seat brackets, cut off of the old seat. On the right bracket, you can see the existing hole which is prefect for installing the seat holding bolt:

One holder bracket installed. You can see how it abuts the seat flange, and you can see the one bolt fastening it. I needed to clearance the bracket a little with an angle grinder to get the holes to align. The pen is showing where I plan to locate the pivot pin:

Brackets installed and pivot pins located in final position. The alternative hole pairs which would give the most forward and most rearward mounting are shown by my thumb and ring finger pointing:

Picture of the seat mounted and at rest:

Last edited: