b7100 HST overheating

Eugene23

Equipment
Kubota b7100 HST D
Mar 5, 2023
Hawaii
My 95 b7100 with 800 hours seems to run fine, although it has thrown steam many times.
I did the radiator test with radiator cap removed. The fluid level goes up and down and the bubbles do escape from the top at a random rate, on and off bursts.
The tractor seems to lose coolant rapidly when mowing with my 4' rotary cutter; seems like a blown head gasket? However, the tractor starts and runs fine and the oil appears to be the normal black (not milky) color.
I would appreciate suggestions as to what to do next.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Use an infrared heat gun to check temp at upper and lower radiator hose. Differential will tell if radiator is doing it's job. Might use something like purple power cleaner to spray on radiator fins and let set for a while before washing off with a garden hose. Often time dust becomes mud and sticks to the fins reducing cooling capacity.

Reactions: 2 users

My Barn

Equipment
Kubota, Ford
Sep 14, 2022
Michigan
Radiator could be plugged-up...I would flush it and the block too! D2Cat is giving a good way of checking it out.
Or the coolant might need to be change and fresh Anti-Freeze put in? Have you cleaned the screen in front the radiator.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Your getting bubbles in the radiator right?
If you are you have a cracked head.

Eugene23

Equipment
Kubota b7100 HST D
Mar 5, 2023
Hawaii
No pressure tester, but I did replace the radiator cap a few yeas ago. Radiator kind of 'burps' with cap off. fluid rises up and then drops. Again, oil looks fine, not milky. I will be working on it off and on as time permits. Thanks for the replies.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Interesting diagnosis. Could you explain why you suspect a cracked head as opposed to a leak thru the head gasket?
I'm really just playing the odds, I've seen or heard of heads cracking about 1000 to 1 on leaking gaskets.
Normally If it's a leaking head gasket it will fill the cylinder with coolant, where a cracked head has a 50/50 chance of doing it or not.
Because the head crack can be higher than radiator and fluid level and expands when hot, and the head gasket is lower on the radiator and isn't normally effected by temp.
But hey I would love to be proven wrong, it's the same work to check for both. ;)

Eugene23

Equipment
Kubota b7100 HST D
Mar 5, 2023
Hawaii
I did the temperature test on the radiator today. The top of the radiator got to over 200 degrees while bottom temperature were 120 or 130. This is all with no load on the tractor. FWIW, it only seems to overheat when mowing thick pasture grass.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I have a temp sensor on my upper radiator hose outlet and it only hits 180+ under heavy load for several minutes straight. It will NEVER hit 200 if idling or lightly loaded.

It seems like you have a combustion leak into the cooling system. The fluid level rising and lowering is probably because a gas pocket is forced into the cooling system which displaces an equal amount of water and causes fluid level to rise, but as air bubble reaches the upper radiator tank and 'purges' to the air, the fluid returns to its previous level. If you had a cooling system pressure tester you would actually see this on the pressure gauge, plus the general non-conformity of pressure rising 'out of step' with coolant temp rise. Generally the pressure would only rise slowly in conjunction with coolant temp, but never rapidly or spiking, unless combustion leaks into cooling system.

Regardless of what's causing it you have to take the head off to properly fix it.

07wingnut

Lifetime Member
Feb 13, 2016
Clearwater, BC, CA
I'm really just playing the odds, I've seen or heard of heads cracking about 1000 to 1 on leaking gaskets.
Normally If it's a leaking head gasket it will fill the cylinder with coolant, where a cracked head has a 50/50 chance of doing it or not.
Because the head crack can be higher than radiator and fluid level and expands when hot, and the head gasket is lower on the radiator and isn't normally effected by temp.
But hey I would love to be proven wrong, it's the same work to check for both. ;)
Thanks for the explanation. Experience counts for a lot when diagnosing this kind of stuff.