B6100D Hard Starting?

clippy

Equipment
Kubota B6100D w/ Kubota FL1000 Tiller, Kubota Bedder, Brush Hog Mower
Hi everyone. I've read on here about hard starting. I'm pretty new to tractors and I'm not exactly sure what qualifies as hard starting. So I figured I would post a video and ask for some feedback. I sure know that my little B6100D is harder to start this winter compared to last summer (when I bought the thing.)

Here's the link to the video on youtube: http://youtu.be/ClA-M3r8ZUo

Just to let you know, it was the first time I started the tractor in 3 or 4 days. Those nights were getting down to -12 or -15 celsius (5 - 10f) and not warming up much during the day time. I switched the glow plugs on for about a minute prior to trying to start the first time. I then paused the recording at about the 15 sec mark while I switched on the glow plugs for another 30 secs or so.

(Sorry for the poor lighting... a window in the shed is basically directly in front of the tractor.)

Thanks.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Your alright if it's just glow plugs and below freezing ;)That actually did pretty darn good. Mine needs the starter and altenator sent in for rebuilds, so it's not putting a charge on the battery like it should. Only putting out 13 volts. And you have to pull the decompression lever even with a set of jumper cables on it to get the starter wound up enough to get the motor to fire :rolleyes: Starters got a bearing dragging.

So if mine started as quick as yours under those temps, I would be a very happy person :D

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
clippy, your machine is starting FINE! You need to find something else to push your "worry" button.:)
I would say you have that "problem" solved.......at that cold temp - it takes me a lot more than a 30 second glow plug to get me running!:eek::D:)

really - your tractor is in goooood shape!:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yea like everyone is saying, That starts better than when it was new!:eek:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Yep, looks fine to me. Something many are not aware of is that you can hit the glow plugs again after it starts- smooths it out quicker on those cold mornings. About 10 seconds is usually enough to make a big difference in mine.

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
Something many are not aware of is that you can hit the glow plugs again after it starts- smooths it out quicker on those cold mornings. About 10 seconds is usually enough to make a big difference in mine.
huh! Now that's counter-intuitive, and I doubt I would have *ever* thought of it. I should be able to try it out this week since we're due for another couple of days of cold before the wet comes.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I never thought of glow plugging after either. To used to key switches where if you turned it back to the left you would shut it down :D Makes pefect sense on the older models :rolleyes:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Not sure it works on all models, but it works great on my old B7100. An acquaintance with a B6100 got mad at me, saying that using this technique "burned out" his hour meter. Turns out he was just not turning the key all the way back to the "ON" position after "glowing" a second time- the electric meter doesn't run in the "OFF" position, but the engine does.:D

Last edited:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I think it starts very well. Mine at -12 with oil pan heater and a boost doesent take off that easy.
I put it back in the warm shed.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I think it starts very well. Mine at -12 with oil pan heater and a boost doesent take off that easy.
I put it back in the warm shed.
I think the l1501's have a longing to be back in warmer climates and start under protest when it's cold out :eek::p:D

Sparky2k

Equipment
L2800hst
Jan 9, 2012
Belwood, Ontario
I think the l1501's have a longing to be back in warmer climates and start under protest when it's cold out :eek::p:D
When I bought my L2800 5 yr ago, it had 210 hours on it. Not being up to speed fully on the Kubotas, I asked the dealer to install a block heater prior to delivery. He advised that one was not necessary. Upon voicing my skepticism, he offered to come out, and install a heater if it failed to start using the glow plugs at minus 20C within two years.
Minus 28 deg C last night, went out, 30 sec of heat, started right up.
I do believe the 0W40 synthetic makes a huge difference too.
Cheers,
Sparx

clippy

Equipment
Thanks everyone for your input. Very happy to hear everyone thinks my tractor sounds great! We've not had such cold weather since I took that video. So all my starts since that have been even better.

clippy, your machine is starting FINE! You need to find something else to push your "worry" button.:)
I'll have to go find something else to worry about. :D

clippy

Equipment
Yep, looks fine to me. Something many are not aware of is that you can hit the glow plugs again after it starts- smooths it out quicker on those cold mornings. About 10 seconds is usually enough to make a big difference in mine.
Have tried this out. But like I just said above it hasn't been as cold recently. Hopefully it stays that way. But your suggestion makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for the tip.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
You're welcome Clippy, thanks for the acknowledgement!
Thanks Vic, it's nice to be corroborated by the experts!