B6100 injector and parts

Quagmire33

Equipment
B6200-d-hst. Great bend 220 FEL
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Few questions. My neighbor just bought a b6100. Seems that one cylinder isn't getting fuel. While it's running if you crack an injector line it'll skip. Crack the second, and it will do the same. Crack the third and nothing changes. Any suggestions of things to check before he orders an injector ?

Also, where's the best place to get parts? It also needs an exhaust manifold. Previous owner rolled the tractor and broke the manifold. So it needs to be replace.

Previous owner said that the glow plugs don't work. What would be the steps to take to diagnose the issue ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Also, where's the best place to get parts? It also needs an exhaust manifold. Previous owner rolled the tractor and broke the manifold. So it needs to be replace.

Previous owner said that the glow plugs don't work. What would be the steps to take to diagnose the issue ?

Messicks and Colemans Eq both have parts. Not sure I would go there FIRST on parts like manifolds.

TO check glow plugs - pull them out, use "good" ohm meter, make sure meter will read zero ohms, then test each plug - reading should be a little higher than zero, like one ish or a tad higher. Something larger than ten would be bad.

You dash glow plug needs to be tested too. And the wiring to the whole circuit checked too

BTW - when you cracked the bad injector , did fuel squirt everywhere?

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Thanks. Will check glow plugs.

We just picked the tractor up late last night. I'm asking based on what the previous owner told us. So I haven't actually cracked the fuel line to experience it for myself. I suppose if there is fuel,then it would have something to do with the injector. But if no fuel it will be before the injector.

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
On the topic of removing the glow plugs - mine have these slotted washers instead of nuts. Is there a special tool to remove them?

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Thanks. Will check glow plugs.

We just picked the tractor up late last night. I'm asking based on what the previous owner told us. So I haven't actually cracked the fuel line to experience it for myself. I suppose if there is fuel,then it would have something to do with the injector. But if no fuel it will be before the injector.

Another thing to note:
If it has the same fuel flow as other injectors, pull the injector and swap it to another cylinder and make sure the issue follows the injector as a bad cylinder (low compression) will also make it not fire.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On the topic of removing the glow plugs - mine have these slotted washers instead of nuts. Is there a special tool to remove them?
No special tool, just a screw driver. ;)

Lencho

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100hst
Jan 21, 2017
NM
OK - I'll try the screwdriver. I was adjusting the valves last weekend and wanted to remove the glow plugs to easily turn the engine over. I Wound up pulling the injectors instead. Pretty straightforward and it let me clean off the carbon as well.:)

Attachments

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That gizmo with the slot is the nut. It may have a very small washer under it, so be careful removing the nut and misplacing the washer.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
OK - I'll try the screwdriver. I was adjusting the valves last weekend and wanted to remove the glow plugs to easily turn the engine over. I Wound up pulling the injectors instead. Pretty straightforward and it let me clean off the carbon as well.:)

How far did you find the valves to be off? And you set them to ? .007?

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Another thing to note:

If it has the same fuel flow as other injectors, pull the injector and swap it to another cylinder and make sure the issue follows the injector as a bad cylinder (low compression) will also make it not fire.

Called the dealer today. New injector is about $75. They also said that the #1 injector has a different part number than 2&3. #1 cylinder is the one with the issue. Can I still swap 1&2 without any issues ? I'm wondering why they would be different.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
I think the difference is the return line fitting on each injector. The front has a hose barb and the hose goes to #2 injector, then to #3. So the front injector has one barb the other two have two barbs. Actual injector bodies are the same.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Just as D2Cat say's, same injector as the rest just different return line fitting, which you remove to swap the injectors. ;)

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Thank you guys for the info. We'll try switching the injectors and see what we find out. [emoji106]

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Update: finally had a couple nice nights... took #1 injector out, took it apart to see what we could see.(and apparently didn't mess it up) Swapped it with #2 and reassembled. All three cylinders are firing now and it's running good. Next step is to figure out why the glow plugs aren't working.

Thank you everybody for the help. This group is awesome!

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
Nothing seems to happen. No indicator and it doesn't matter how long you try and run them, it doesn't help the tractor start. I'm guessing first thing would be to see that they are getting power. (Haven't had time to mess with them). If there's power, do I have to pull the plug out to test it?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Yes, you can check for power at the GP, but probably won't be any there. If the GP indicator is bad no power will get to the GPs, it is like your oven heating element. If it's bad no power passes through it.

I think the wiring is pretty simple, from the switch to the indicator to the GPs. Probably have to take the dash loose to get to the wiring. The indicator is about $20 aftermarket and two screws hold it in place. Look for bad/loose/disconnected wires.

Quagmire33

Equipment
May 27, 2014
Central Mass, USA
So I checked the power at the GP, and nothing. Checked before the indicator and had power, so I used a piece of wire and jumped across the indicator and got power to the GP's. But then something started smoking. There's a crappy connection in the wiring harness. So I think a new indicator and probably rework a couple wires in the plug at the wiring harness and I should be good.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
So I checked the power at the GP, and nothing. Checked before the indicator and had power, so I used a piece of wire and jumped across the indicator and got power to the GP's. But then something started smoking. There's a crappy connection in the wiring harness. So I think a new indicator and probably rework a couple wires in the plug at the wiring harness and I should be good.

So - the bottom line here is the indicator is bad or a wire to it. WHEN you by passed that indicator, you allowed a lot of current to hit other parts of the wire, the indicator and the glow plugs all have a very small resistance together, by bypassing the indicator, more current will flow - get cha new indicator.;):)