B6000 4WD

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada
Drain the oil in the center differential and see what comes out.
With the two front wheel acting independent of each other it is not good news!
Dave
I hear ya and agree. I can turn the pto shaft back and forth a bit each way then it stops so it is connected to the gear at the end if the shaft in the front differential so that part is functioning as it appears to be.

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada
I hear ya and agree. I can turn the pto shaft back and forth a bit each way then it stops so it is connected to the gear at the end if the shaft in the front differential so that part is functioning as it appears to be.
I have a poor copy of a service manual and an operators manual downloaded from this site I think. I'm thinking something like a shear pin/s has let go someplace?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a poor copy of a service manual and an operators manual downloaded from this site I think. I'm thinking something like a shear pin/s has let go someplace?
I don't think you are going to find any "shear pins" in that driveline. If the propeller shaft is turning comiing out of the transmission and there is no external indication of a propeller shaft failure you are going to have to go inside the front axle to find and fix the problem. I would proabbly start by dusassembling the universal and associated parts connecting the propeller shaft to the differential pinion shaft - shown in the boxed area below. I would also be hoping the universal has failed.

Dan

1664281594039.png

Reactions: 1 user

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada
Well from looking at the diagram here, which I'd clearer than my crappy manual pics, everything from the main transmission to the input shaft at the front differential seems connected so the problem I think for sure is/will be with something inside the front differential. I'm assuming it was working when I got it as I attempted to clear some snow the first winter and I didn't experience any problem with traction with the exception of spinning on ice underneath. Can you supply itemized descriptions of the numbered pieces in that diagram?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
In reference to the display Dan posted, remove the shield #15, remove pin #5 and #12, and I think the shaft is removable.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
In reference to the display Dan posted, remove the shield #15, remove pin #5 and #12, and I think the shaft is removable.
Using a pin punch drive pin 5 out of the transmssion universal and pull the universal off the transmssion output shaft. Then the propeller shaft assembly including the cover 15 can be dropped down and withdrawn from the front differrental. See my earlier picture of that shaft and cover as used on the B7200. Looks to be virtually identical.

Dan

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada
I don't think you are going to find any "shear pins" in that driveline. If the propeller shaft is turning comiing out of the transmission and there is no external indication of a propeller shaft failure you are going to have to go inside the front axle to find and fix the problem. I would proabbly start by dusassembling the universal and associated parts connecting the propeller shaft to the differential pinion shaft - shown in the boxed area below. I would also be hoping the universal has failed.

Dan

View attachment 87765
Can you send me a link to download this clearer version of this or entire manual?
I hear you on the origin of the potential trouble. Without getting into that disaembly as I have said, just external observation is as I said when all wheels in the air and in gear running it appears that the complete shaft from the transmission to that input shaft at the front differential is connected and turning, but no output to the front wheels. I'm kinda wondering if something that attaches to that differential ring gear had broken. I see what looks like pins/bolts that attach that housing to the main ring gear?

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Well from looking at the diagram here, which I'd clearer than my crappy manual pics, everything from the main transmission to the input shaft at the front differential seems connected so the problem I think for sure is/will be with something inside the front differential. I'm assuming it was working when I got it as I attempted to clear some snow the first winter and I didn't experience any problem with traction with the exception of spinning on ice underneath. Can you supply itemized descriptions of the numbered pieces in that diagram?
Parts diagrams and numbers are available online at the Kubota parts website, Down load a free copy of the B7200DT WSM and use it as a basic reference - should be pretty close.

Dan

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada
I refer to item 25 possibly becoming separated from the ger?

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada
Parts diagrams and numbers are available online at the Kubota parts website, Down load a free copy of the B7200DT WSM and use it as a basic reference - should be pretty close.

Dan
I got as I said a copy of the B6000 online here or someplace but of course image clarity isn't good as in photocopy quality that's been done a few times then uploaded

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I refer to item 25 possibly becoming separated from the ger?
Could be any number of things - you will not know until you look. As I said I would be hoping its the universal joint which is inexpensive and easy to access. The one in my picture of the driveshaft was the culprit in that failure.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Can you send me a link to download this clearer version of this or entire manual?
I hear you on the origin of the potential trouble. Without getting into that disaembly as I have said, just external observation is as I said when all wheels in the air and in gear running it appears that the complete shaft from the transmission to that input shaft at the front differential is connected and turning, but no output to the front wheels. I'm kinda wondering if something that attaches to that differential ring gear had broken. I see what looks like pins/bolts that attach that housing to the main ring gear?
Go here then expand the parts catalog to get all of the diagrams, part numbers and current prices.

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
As
Question, how hefty (strong) are those splines on the shafts, could they strip easily?
As I said many things are possible. Take the shaft out and look - easy to do. If the splines have failed it will be obvious. If the shaft is intact you will have to dig a little deeper. Again - that universal housing is relatively easy. Accessing the differential and axles is a much bigger job.

One thing for sure - jaw boning here is not going to diagnose or fix anything.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada
As

As I said many things are possible. Take the shaft out and look - easy to do. If the splines have failed it will be obvious. If the shaft is intact you will have to dig a little deeper. Again - that universal housing is relatively easy. Accessing the differential and axles is a much bigger job.

Dan
Ok which pin are you referring to in the driveshaft? the first one up nearer the main traansmssion or the one down closer to the pion shaft of the pto. my dust/boot cover for one join is only half there.

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada
As

Dan
Ok people, an update which basically confirms what I've been saying all along. I popped the pin at the front differential u joint coupling (actually there was a wire through the roll pin holding it in place and it came out when I removed the wire), splines seem ok but worn a bit. Can turn differential pinion shaft by hand completely in both directions no sounds. Guess we're into bigger job opening up front differential. i haven't attempted to drain oil if any in the differential, that will be next. I'll report back.

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada
Ok
Ok people, an update which basically confirms what I've been saying all along. I popped the pin at the front differential u joint coupling (actually there was a wire through the roll pin holding it in place and it came out when I removed the wire), splines seem ok but worn a bit. Can turn differential pinion shaft by hand completely in both directions no sounds. Guess we're into bigger job opening up front differential. i haven't attempted to drain oil if any in the differential, that will be next. I'll report back.
update on front differential oil nt much came out and was light gray in color in the pan but as it flowed out still showed some orange/yellow color to it so...I didn't allow it all to drain just enough to see anything boits of metal and there were none.