B6000 4WD

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada
Hi all, acquired apparently a Grey tractor with a fel and backhoe attachments. They surely appear not kubota genuine but.
It seemed that the 4wd was working but when I got it but while using it with the fel moving some dirt around I felt something sorta give and then no front wheel drive. I did what I had to with it managing without it. Today I decided to get it up on stilts (rear stabilizers and fel,) and with it in gear only rear wheel basically right rear was actually driving, nothing else. The pto shaft from the main transmission is turning but no action on front wheels. I know the lever is down for 4wd. What am I maybe looking at/for to fix this? Something broken in the front differential maybe a shear pin on a gear?
Suggestions are welcomed abd thankyou in advance.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I don’t know anything about your particular tractor model but there is probably a nearly equivalent model for the USA market. There is a list on the forum somewhere (probably under the grey market forum).

But there are many discussions about your symptoms on the forum also and the problems range from front axle repair to drive shaft repair to transmission repair.

See if you can see anything underneath the tractor at both ends of the driveshaft that looks like a problem. The shaft sometimes shears a roll-pin or strips out the splines on the ends of the shaft

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I don’t know anything about your particular tractor model but there is probably a nearly equivalent model for the USA market. There is a list on the forum somewhere (probably under the grey market forum).

But there are many discussions about your symptoms on the forum also and the problems range from front axle repair to drive shaft repair to transmission repair.

See if you can see anything underneath the tractor at both ends of the driveshaft that looks like a problem. The shaft sometimes shears a roll-pin or strips out the splines on the ends of the shaft
From memory NIW pointed out to me that there were two versions of the B6000. A Gray and a USA.
This is a page that shows this.
forum B6000 in two markets.jpg

There is a manual on Kubota books but of poor quality. Look on page 22 for an exploded view of the front axle
B6000 WSM
It would be worth your while to contact forum member 007kubotaguy as he is often parting out older machines.
I assume yours is not a hydrostatic transmission.
Messicks has very clear front axle exploded parts diagrams for both the axle and the drive to the axle.
Front drive shaft
Front Axle

Dave

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There should be a shield that covers the driveshaft from the transmission to the front differential. In that shield is the driveshaft which has splines on both ends. There is a roll pin going through the shaft at each end to hold it in place and allow the power to get to the splines. Check to see the pins are in place and the splines are not sheared off.

With the tractor up off the ground and locked in 4x4 see if you can turn the front wheels by hand. Any resistance or noise may lead you to the problem.

This is what Russell was describing.

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada

Yes thank-you, I Har you and a USE equivalent. Regarding any noise when turning font wheels when off the ground the answer to that from what I saw us no. There definitely is no power being transmitted from pto out if the transmission to the front diff, it's Turning but not operating front diff.

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada
From memory NIW pointed out to me that there were two versions of the B6000. A Gray and a USA.
This is a page that shows this.
View attachment 87659
There is a manual on Kubota books but of poor quality. Look on page 22 for an exploded view of the front axle
B6000 WSM
It would be worth your while to contact forum member 007kubotaguy as he is often parting out older machines.
I assume yours is not a hydrostatic transmission.
Messicks has very clear front axle exploded parts diagrams for both the axle and the drive to the axle.
Front drive shaft
Front Axle

Dave
Thank-you fir your reply. Mine is not a hydrostatic transmission. Seems when having all wheels off the round right rear us driving only and nothing to thefront, but the pto shaft appears to be Turing right into the front diff case.

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
With everything in neutral and at least the front two wheels off the ground, what happens when you try to rotate one front wheel? Then when you rotate the other front wheel ?

Was the shaft into the front differential rotating or just the drive shaft union rotating on that shaft into the case? If the shaft into the case is actually rotating then you probably have something inside the front differential that is broken.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thank-you fir your reply. Mine is not a hydrostatic transmission. Seems when having all wheels off the round right rear us driving only and nothing to thefront, but the pto shaft appears to be Turing right into the front diff case.
When you have both front wheels off the ground, try turning one wheel by hand. The other side wheel should turn in the opposite direction. this test is just to give you an idea how badly stuff could be broken.

You will have a pedal to lock the rear differential for situations when traction is poor. When the rear is elevated depress the lock pedal and then put it into gear. Do not depress the lock pedal when parts are rotating but before.
Dave

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada
HI I didn't try just the front wheels off the ground, but with machine running all wheels off the ground and in gear no action from the front wheels, in neutral, all wheels off the ground could turn either front wheel as well as left rear. I too am suspecting something in the front differential. If there's a shear pin that's probably the cause?
With everything in neutral and at least the front two wheels off the ground, what happens when you try to rotate one front wheel? Then when you rotate the other front wheel ?

Was the shaft into the front differential rotating or just the drive shaft union rotating on that shaft into the case? If the shaft into the case is actually rotating then you probably have something inside the front differential that is broken.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
HI I didn't try just the front wheels off the ground, but with machine running all wheels off the ground and in gear no action from the front wheels, in neutral, all wheels off the ground could turn either front wheel as well as left rear. I too am suspecting something in the front differential. If there's a shear pin that's probably the cause?
My first suspect would be the driveshaft. The do break.....

Dan

20220925_134521.jpg

Russell King

Equipment
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Please be more specific in your answers and you may get better help.

Read Dave_eng and my posts again. Manually rotate one front wheel and tell us what happens. Then do the other front wheel.

Don’t use the engine or transmission to do this test.

Only one rear wheel will be driven through the transmission and differential. Dave describes how to get both to rotate but you don’t need to worry about the rear differential

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada
Please be more specific in your answers and you may get better help.

Read Dave_eng and my posts again. Manually rotate one front wheel and tell us what happens. Then do the other front wheel.

Don’t use the engine or transmission to do this test.

Only one rear wheel will be driven through the transmission and differential. Dave describes how to get both to rotate but you don’t need to worry about the rear differential
Sorry, I don't know how much more specific to be or I can be. I initially trouble shot the driveline with all wheels raised in 4wd mode, in gear and in neutral. I could rotate the front wheel only checked left and in neutral I could rotate it. When running and in gear and neutral pto shaft coming from transmission to front differential shaft was turning. I seriously doubt limiting th3 front axle alone will change m

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada
Sorry, I don't know how much more specific to be or I can be. I initially trouble shot the driveline with all wheels raised in 4wd mode, in gear and in neutral. I could rotate the front wheel only checked left and in neutral I could rotate it. When running and in gear and neutral pto shaft coming from transmission to front differential shaft was turning. I seriously doubt limiting th3 front axle alone will change m
Hi, ok lifed front end with fel, 4wd lever still engaged rotated each front wheel one after the other. Both rotated freely not interacting with the other. Now what? Seems kinda obvious the problem may lie with the mechanism between the 4wd input shaft and the front differential which will require investigating inside the front differential?

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada
Hi, ok lifed front end with fel, 4wd lever still engaged rotated each front wheel one after the other. Both rotated freely not interacting with the other. Now what? Seems kinda obvious the problem may lie with the mechanism between the 4wd input shaft and the front differential which will require investigating inside the front differential?

Oldie68

Equipment
B6000
Nov 21, 2021
Yarker Ontario Canada

They seem to be connected no problem right from the transmission to the shaft going into the front diff. I today lifted the front wheels and rotated each one independently with 4wd lever engaged and no noises at all from either wheel just spun freely.