B3350 SU died during regen, now won't turnover

Bouten

Equipment
B3350 SU
Dec 29, 2019
Clayton, WA
Hi and thanks in advance for any help. My 2016 Kubota B3350 SU with 189 hours on it died during normal regeneration cycle, not parked regen, and will not start. If you shut off the key and turn it straight through to the start position, the starter will click and move the engine just a little bit, then it sounds like a relay clicks and stops the starter. If you turn on the key and then proceed to warm the glow plugs, then move to the start position, there is nothing, the starter does not even turn, just a click from a relay near the front of the machine. I have checked safety switches, pto position, park brake, etc., including trying a new battery, but still nothing. I have all dash and guage lamps working. It has died a few times before at full operating throttle but as always restarted after a time or two. The operating Regen light is on as the process was mid cycle when it died. Engine moves freely and oil is midway between full and add. I would say it is the starter, but it shut down like you turned it off, which makes me think the silly regen cycle went screwy or a relay croaked. Any help is tremendously appreciated.:)

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Given the long history of dpf problems with the B3350, I suspect your first move would be to get the machine into the Kubota service dept. Emissions warranty is longer than other components, so hopefully the issue is addressed under warranty.

There are some very knowledgeable B3350 owners here that will come along with their experience and recommendations. They will likely want to know if your tractor has had any updates related to the dpf system.
Best of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Since you posted no voltage readings or other electrical trouble shooting information, I'm going to assume you don't have a volt meter and/or know how to use it for diagnosing problems. If this is the case, suggest you consider rjcorazza advice and take it to the dealer and hope it is something covered under the emissions warranty.

Good luck and let us know the outcome.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
Hi and thanks in advance for any help. My 2016 Kubota B3350 SU with 189 hours on it died during normal regeneration cycle, not parked regen, and will not start. If you shut off the key and turn it straight through to the start position, the starter will click and move the engine just a little bit, then it sounds like a relay clicks and stops the starter. If you turn on the key and then proceed to warm the glow plugs, then move to the start position, there is nothing, the starter does not even turn, just a click from a relay near the front of the machine. I have checked safety switches, pto position, park brake, etc., including trying a new battery, but still nothing. I have all dash and guage lamps working. It has died a few times before at full operating throttle but as always restarted after a time or two. The operating Regen light is on as the process was mid cycle when it died. Engine moves freely and oil is midway between full and add. I would say it is the starter, but it shut down like you turned it off, which makes me think the silly regen cycle went screwy or a relay croaked. Any help is tremendously appreciated.:)
You may well have more than one problem.

The failure to crank issue sounds like a discharged or failing battery or a loose or dirty cable connection. I would diagnose this before looking to the regen system (unless you are seeing error codes). Have you checked all fuses?

The engine should not shut down during regen but there are issues that can cause this so post back once the cranking issue has been addressed.

Edit: Missed the comment about new battery. Is the new battery fully charged and are all connections clean and tight?

As previously suggested, the regen system on your 3350 will be more reliable if ALL of the updates released during the model run have been performed. Is yours FULLY up to date? One of the updates replaces a relay with another having a higher capacity terminal to address a heat related failure issue.

SDT

Last edited:

KHW59

Equipment
L-3901 Brushhog, Finish mower, road planner, box blade.
Apr 28, 2016
Palatka Fl
My old B3350 did that to me allot. Hence the reason for my L now. It showed the same exact symtoms you have. I would have to wait until the safety thermal switch cooled off and allowed full electrical restoration to start.

Bouten

Equipment
B3350 SU
Dec 29, 2019
Clayton, WA
UPdate to all and many thanks for the input. Finally had a chance to look at it again and it turns out to be something very simple, but not expected at 189 hours. The behavior seemed to make me think that it was a safety cut off switch. I called the dealer and they just wanted me to bring it in, which was my next step. However, after climbing underneath again and looking more closely, there is a safety switch on the forward/reverse pedal that was causing the problem. The plunger at the end of the switch has worn a small dimple into the strike plate and caused the plunger to not move enough to allow the machine to start. A simple adjustment to the switch position and we are off and running again, with no problems. Again, thanks to all for your input and hopefully this helps someone else on the forum. Now, if I can just get the axle back into my Chevy snow plow truck..................Happy New Year to all!!!!

Reactions: 1 user

Bmccolley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC, FEL hooks/Pirahna bar, RB3784,, 72 BB
Oct 8, 2019
MI, US
Wow. That’s a very valuable tip. I had no idea and would have never thought to look for such a thing.

Thank you for the info.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
UPdate to all and many thanks for the input. Finally had a chance to look at it again and it turns out to be something very simple, but not expected at 189 hours. The behavior seemed to make me think that it was a safety cut off switch. I called the dealer and they just wanted me to bring it in, which was my next step. However, after climbing underneath again and looking more closely, there is a safety switch on the forward/reverse pedal that was causing the problem. The plunger at the end of the switch has worn a small dimple into the strike plate and caused the plunger to not move enough to allow the machine to start. A simple adjustment to the switch position and we are off and running again, with no problems. Again, thanks to all for your input and hopefully this helps someone else on the forum. Now, if I can just get the axle back into my Chevy snow plow truck..................
But what caused the tractor to shut down during parked regen?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: ....But what caused the tractor to shut down during parked regen?

Without seeing the wiring and computer code, it 'might' be that that switch 'glitched'( fwd/neu/fwd/neu) sending a false signal to the computer.Without you sitting in the seat and 'fwd/rev' pedal moved, engine will shut off.

If you were in the seat that shouldn't have mattered and sounds more likey faulty software, aka 737MAX8 syndrome.

vanquisher

Equipment
B3350
Sep 21, 2018
Lagrangeville NY
My father in laws b3350 had similar issue. Lubed linkages for F/R pedal to cure
i had computer problems and couldn't respond. I was going to say basically the same thing :) My pedal had the same problem and the first thing I thought about was Regen issues because of all the negatives Then i noticed it when going from forward to reverse a quick shut down in the motor knew it was a switch in the treadle pedal.... Good call

vanquisher

Equipment
B3350
Sep 21, 2018
Lagrangeville NY
re: ....But what caused the tractor to shut down during parked regen?

Without seeing the wiring and computer code, it 'might' be that that switch 'glitched'( fwd/neu/fwd/neu) sending a false signal to the computer.Without you sitting in the seat and 'fwd/rev' pedal moved, engine will shut off.

If you were in the seat that shouldn't have mattered and sounds more likey faulty software, aka 737MAX8 syndrome.
it was just coincidence mine has done same thing. has nothing to do with seat position has to do with pedal position and switch.

Last edited: