B3200 no forward or reverse

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
That would make more sense then a blown clutch with the symptoms, in my opinion. Any idea if you need to tear into the transmission for that or is in front of the trans towards the engine?
Looks like there's a pair of them. I think that's a non-lubricated area. Which raises an interesting question - how do the gears and bearings in the clutch housing get lubed?

Do you have the WSM? I think you drive those roll pins out and then slide coupling parts to disengage and remove without separating the cases.
Screenshot_20230706-161844-128.png

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Looks like there's a pair of them. I think that's a non-lubricated area. Which raises an interesting question - how do the gears and bearings in the clutch housing get lubed?

Do you have the WSM? I think you drive those roll pins out and then slide coupling parts to disengage and remove without separating the cases.
View attachment 106647
The clutch housing case gear portion is lubed, it gets flow from the steering system and has a return.

Reactions: 1 user

terryw

Equipment
2009 Kubota B3200
Jun 13, 2023
Illinois
Update on my B3200. I removed the clutch housing and the shaft turns smoothly. Pressure plate and clutch disc looks good. There’s a straight shaft connecting clutch housing to HST. There is movement, close to a half inch front to rear in this shaft. Push in to the rear and it makes that noise. Pull on shaft towards the front and noise goes away and is smooth turning also. I think I’m close to the problem. I still have to remove the structure supporting the components so I can get access to the HST. I’m only getting to work on this part time so it’s taking a while.

Salmonhound

Equipment
B3200hsd
May 21, 2022
Michigan
So I went up to my local kubota service and talked about the issue and showed them the video. He said the same thing as previously mentioned in this string that is likely one of the ball couplings such as part (090) provided previously in the diagram. I just started to take it apart after getting it off the mower deck. So with this knowledge can a tractor split get to this part fairly easily or is it in the transmission where I need to tear into that assembly? Or some other assembly that may be a pain? I am on the fence to take it in but at 120 a hour I would rather take care of it myself as long as i dont have to worry about getting stuck somewhere. Any info would be helpful.

terryw

Equipment
2009 Kubota B3200
Jun 13, 2023
Illinois
So I went up to my local kubota service and talked about the issue and showed them the video. He said the same thing as previously mentioned in this string that is likely one of the ball couplings such as part (090) provided previously in the diagram. I just started to take it apart after getting it off the mower deck. So with this knowledge can a tractor split get to this part fairly easily or is it in the transmission where I need to tear into that assembly? Or some other assembly that may be a pain? I am on the fence to take it in but at 120 a hour I would rather take care of it myself as long as i dont have to worry about getting stuck somewhere. Any info would be helpful.
Hey Salmonhound, I’m right down on top of problem now. No easy way to get to this. The steel dark gray “tunnel” that holds everything together is a pain to remove. There’s hydraulic return line hoses inside of it that needs unclamped and a linkage rod that has to come out before the tunnel can come off. This tractor is getting stripped down big time. Just make notes on how things came off that were difficult or tricky and take pictures with your cellphone. I’m cleaning everything as I remove so assembling back together will be really nice. All nuts, bolts, etc. put in boxes with a sheet of paper telling what they’re for. Everything goes back together clean and lubed. It’d be nice to have 2 floor jacks but I only have 1 and a cherry picker. It does the job but can be a pain to get everything in position without bumping into everything. Engine is good, its supported with 2 jackstands and a block of wood. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the rest out of the way and find the problem. It’s definitely not the clutch. Look at my previous post. I talked about what I found

terryw

Equipment
2009 Kubota B3200
Jun 13, 2023
Illinois
Hey Salmonhound, I’m right down on top of problem now. No easy way to get to this. The steel dark gray “tunnel” that holds everything together is a pain to remove. There’s hydraulic return line hoses inside of it that needs unclamped and a linkage rod that has to come out before the tunnel can come off. This tractor is getting stripped down big time. Just make notes on how things came off that were difficult or tricky and take pictures with your cellphone. I’m cleaning everything as I remove so assembling back together will be really nice. All nuts, bolts, etc. put in boxes with a sheet of paper telling what they’re for. Everything goes back together clean and lubed. It’d be nice to have 2 floor jacks but I only have 1 and a cherry picker. It does the job but can be a pain to get everything in position without bumping into everything. Engine is good, its supported with 2 jackstands and a block of wood. Hopefully tomorrow I can get the rest out of the way and find the problem. It’s definitely not the clutch. Look at my previous post. I talked about what I found
It’s probably the ball coupling
you talked about so we’ll see soon. I’ll let you know.

terryw

Equipment
2009 Kubota B3200
Jun 13, 2023
Illinois
Found the problem. It is the ball coupling. The outer housing for this is trashed as well as also the input shaft into the charge pump. The splines are destroyed on the input shaft in the charge pump. There were only 3 ball bearings in the ball coupling, no telling what happened to the 4th. There are flat spots all over the ball bearings. Looks like they were scuffing within the coupling finally destroying it. I just hope I can get an outer coupler housing and an input shaft for the charge pump. It says where I get parts from, the outer coupler housing is no longer made and I can’t find an input shaft by itself. It just keeps getting worse it seems like.
image.jpg
image.jpg

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Found the problem. It is the ball coupling. The outer housing for this is trashed as well as also the input shaft into the charge pump. The splines are destroyed on the input shaft in the charge pump. There were only 3 ball bearings in the ball coupling, no telling what happened to the 4th. There are flat spots all over the ball bearings. Looks like they were scuffing within the coupling finally destroying it. I just hope I can get an outer coupler housing and an input shaft for the charge pump. It says where I get parts from, the outer coupler housing is no longer made and I can’t find an input shaft by itself. It just keeps getting worse it seems like.
View attachment 107754 View attachment 107754
Is 160 not the shaft you need?
32721-35160 SHAFT $153.73
Screenshot_20230721-173137-609.png

terryw

Equipment
2009 Kubota B3200
Jun 13, 2023
Illinois
That’s the one for sure. The splines are totally mangled on the outside of the charge pump. I found a new one too for the same price as you posted. I had to use a puller to remove the ball coupling from it, it was bad.
I overlooked the diagram originally showing the #160 shaft and I was under the impression I couldn’t buy one. After looking at the diagrams again I found it. So I’ll be ordering that today. I still have to take it apart to get it out. It’ll make a good paper weight I guess. I’m also replacing all the hydraulic hoses, especially the hidden ones because I don’t want to have to take this apart again any where soon. I bought this tractor new in 2009 and this is the only thing that ever broke. It’s also been kept in the garage and never been left out in the weather so it’s definitely worthy of fixing.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I overlooked the diagram originally showing the #160 shaft and I was under the impression I couldn’t buy one. After looking at the diagrams again I found it. So I’ll be ordering that today. I still have to take it apart to get it out. It’ll make a good paper weight I guess. I’m also replacing all the hydraulic hoses, especially the hidden ones because I don’t want to have to take this apart again any where soon. I bought this tractor new in 2009 and this is the only thing that ever broke. It’s also been kept in the garage and never been left out in the weather so it’s definitely worthy of fixing.
Isn't there another ball coupling? How's it look?

terryw

Equipment
2009 Kubota B3200
Jun 13, 2023
Illinois
Isn't there another ball coupling? How's it look?
The only other one I see is on the output shaft from the clutch housing. I removed it yesterday and it appeared okay. However, I’m replacing it too because it’s just a matter of time. It’s like replacing a timing belt on a car with 100k+ miles and right in there is the water pump. So in 3 months the water pump goes out and then I have to go back in and re visit what I should have done when changing the timing belt. Been there. I wish there was a way to keep these couplings lubed after the initial lube during re assembly.

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
The only other one I see is on the output shaft from the clutch housing. I removed it yesterday and it appeared okay. However, I’m replacing it too because it’s just a matter of time. It’s like replacing a timing belt on a car with 100k+ miles and right in there is the water pump. So in 3 months the water pump goes out and then I have to go back in and re visit what I should have done when changing the timing belt. Been there. I wish there was a way to keep these couplings lubed after the initial lube during re assembly.
Pack them as tight as you can with a good heavy grease. About all you can do

Ktrim

Equipment
B2400, lA352 loader,3pth quick hitch/z122r zero turn/restored 52 farmall super a
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Yes for sure. I was thinking like a moly grease instead of lithium grease. What’s your thoughts?
I recently had to rebuilt my hst and replaced balls and inside pivot on the shaft when i reassembled. I packed with Lucas red and tacky. I use it for everything. Back in the 80s and 90s I loved pyroplex by Dryden. Was discontinued when Castrol bought out Dryden. The Lucas red and tacky is the closest I've found to it.

terryw

Equipment
2009 Kubota B3200
Jun 13, 2023
Illinois
I recently had to rebuilt my hst and replaced balls and inside pivot on the shaft when i reassembled. I packed with Lucas red and tacky. I use it for everything. Back in the 80s and 90s I loved pyroplex by Dryden. Was discontinued when Castrol bought out Dryden. The Lucas red and tacky is the closest I've found to it.
I’m somewhat familiar with Lucas products, that sounds like it would do the job. I’ll check it out, thanks

terryw

Equipment
2009 Kubota B3200
Jun 13, 2023
Illinois
I’m somewhat familiar with Lucas products, that sounds like it would do the job. I’ll check it out, thanks
Oh, is there anything crazy about pulling input shaft out of HST once I get the face cover off? I have to replace that shaft because the splines are destroyed. I already ordered a new shaft.

Ktrim

Equipment
Dec 23, 2020
Nazareth Pa
Oh, is there anything crazy about pulling input shaft out of HST once I get the face cover off? I have to replace that shaft because the splines are destroyed. I already ordered a new shaft.
When I get a chance I'll rebook at exploded view of yours. I'll have to see if it's similar inside to mine. I have a different hst in b2400