B3200 no forward or reverse

terryw

Equipment
2009 Kubota B3200
Jun 13, 2023
Illinois
2009 Kubota B3200. I was mowing and took mower out of gear before getting off tractor to pick up debris in front of mower. It has a 5' belly mower. Got back on tractor put mower back in gear, let out clutch and nothing happens. Mower doesn't work nor will it move forward or reverse. Now, there is a rattling noise underneath but goes away when I depress the clutch pedal. Until this, it was working fine. Just happened this morning. Any ideas?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you lost drive and PTO movement all at the same time you've most likely toasted the clutch.

Make sure you haven't knocked the range into neutral and you are engaging the Mid PTO and not just rear PTO.

terryw

Equipment
2009 Kubota B3200
Jun 13, 2023
Illinois
If you lost drive and PTO movement all at the same time you've most likely toasted the clutch.

Make sure you haven't knocked the range into neutral and you are engaging the Mid PTO and not just rear PTO.
Thanks for replying back. Clutch makes sense. That might explain the rattling noise it makes when the clutch is engaged. Disengage it and the noise stops. Definitely not in neutral range,
I understand what you’re saying about the PTO. Thanks again for your time.

Salmonhound

Equipment
B3200hsd
May 21, 2022
Michigan
Did you find the reason this occurred? My b3200hsd just did the same thing. Won't engage mid or rear pto and no forward reverse. Clanking noise goes away when I engage the clutch. Thanks!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you find the reason this occurred? My b3200hsd just did the same thing. Won't engage mid or rear pto and no forward reverse. Clanking noise goes away when I engage the clutch. Thanks!
Most likely the clutch!

Salmonhound

Equipment
B3200hsd
May 21, 2022
Michigan
Yikes. Anybody ever paid to have one replaced- $?. Or done it themselves? -- I know that would be a tractor split. Level of difficulty. I have replaced a few engines in the past but no transmission or clutch work.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
On a 1 to 10 scale I'd give it a 3 for difficulty, it's not hard, just have a flat, hard, level surface jack stands and a floor jack.
Hardest part is disconnecting everything for the split.

Once split the clutch replacement is super easy.

Salmonhound

Equipment
B3200hsd
May 21, 2022
Michigan
Any idea if the 90 page service manual online is worth anything that I could go off? See online I can get a pdf for $30. I did my first truck engine with a haynes manual. But I have not tried splitting a tractor in two before. Haha. Thanks for the help.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The WSM will help with some details, but some of it is just logical.

If your going to try a download WSM it's a 50/50 bet if it's good or not.
I've done some from here and they were all good.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Any idea if the 90 page service manual online is worth anything that I could go off? See online I can get a pdf for $30. I did my first truck engine with a haynes manual. But I have not tried splitting a tractor in two before. Haha. Thanks for the help.
There's a WSM pdf at Kubotabooks

terryw

Equipment
2009 Kubota B3200
Jun 13, 2023
Illinois
Hi there, I’m in the process of taking my Kubota apart right now. I have a loader on it too so that had to come off first. It’s a lot of work that’s for sure. The local Kubota dealer was talking $2,000 to split tractor and replace clutch. With that being said, $96 for the WSM was a bargain. Manual is worth it to me. I’m doing this on my garage floor so I have a good place to do this. So far, job not bad just a lot of things to take apart before I actually split it. Should be doing that tomorrow(Thursday). Busy with other things today. I hope when I take it apart it is the clutch. I’ll know tomorrow. Before putting it back together I have to clean 14 years of dirt and dust out of everything I’ve taken apart, it is FILTHY. That’ll help a lot getting her back together. I’ll let you know what I find.

Reactions: 1 user

terryw

Equipment
2009 Kubota B3200
Jun 13, 2023
Illinois
There's a WSM pdf at Kubotabooks
I bought the B3200 Kubota WSM from the dealer. I had to buy a 3 ring binder because it has loose pages. Good thing is, I can photo copy just what I need and take it out to the garage and don’t worry about getting the original dirty or torn. It even has color pictures. A little pricy but it’ll pay for itself ten fold.

Reactions: 1 users

terryw

Equipment
2009 Kubota B3200
Jun 13, 2023
Illinois
Yeah I saw it. It’s the same as what I have. Oh well too late now, they don’t take back manuals. I’m still money a head though. Thanks for letting me know

terryw

Equipment
2009 Kubota B3200
Jun 13, 2023
Illinois
Yikes. Anybody ever paid to have one replaced- $?. Or done it themselves? -- I know that would be a tractor split. Level of difficulty. I have replaced a few engines in the past but no transmission or clutch work.
Hi, posting an update on my b3200 that sounded like same problem as yours. I had to remove a boatload of parts and drain all the fluids before splitting it. It came apart pretty easy. After separating it I found the clutch to be intact and in good shape. However, the transmission input shaft makes noise when turning by hand. Same noise as before but a hundred times less noisy since I’m turning by hand. That explains why you hear noise when clutch engaged and no noise when clutch disengaged. Disengaged, the shaft doesn’t turn so no noise. Something is broke inside the transmission and now I have to remove it to see what happened. This has been a lot of work but doable. Have you started on yours yet? I bet you have the same problem as me. I was hoping it was the clutch, but now it’s going to be even more work and more cost. At least though it’s not stuck in a repair shop and on the hook for $100+/hr. I’ll keep you updated.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Hi, posting an update on my b3200 that sounded like same problem as yours. I had to remove a boatload of parts and drain all the fluids before splitting it. It came apart pretty easy. After separating it I found the clutch to be intact and in good shape. However, the transmission input shaft makes noise when turning by hand. Same noise as before but a hundred times less noisy since I’m turning by hand. That explains why you hear noise when clutch engaged and no noise when clutch disengaged. Disengaged, the shaft doesn’t turn so no noise. Something is broke inside the transmission and now I have to remove it to see what happened. This has been a lot of work but doable. Have you started on yours yet? I bet you have the same problem as me. I was hoping it was the clutch, but now it’s going to be even more work and more cost. At least though it’s not stuck in a repair shop and on the hook for $100+/hr. I’ll keep you updated.
There are three gears and related bearings in the clutch housing between the clutch and the HST input. Hopefully, your issue is there🤞.

Salmonhound

Equipment
B3200hsd
May 21, 2022
Michigan
Hi, posting an update on my b3200 that sounded like same problem as yours. I had to remove a boatload of parts and drain all the fluids before splitting it. It came apart pretty easy. After separating it I found the clutch to be intact and in good shape. However, the transmission input shaft makes noise when turning by hand. Same noise as before but a hundred times less noisy since I’m turning by hand. That explains why you hear noise when clutch engaged and no noise when clutch disengaged. Disengaged, the shaft doesn’t turn so no noise. Something is broke inside the transmission and now I have to remove it to see what happened. This has been a lot of work but doable. Have you started on yours yet?
I have not started it yet. Been on vacation for the 4th. I had to tow it up to the garage before I left. Hoping to start this weekend. Let me know if you get any further. I will let you know anything I find out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Salmonhound

Equipment
B3200hsd
May 21, 2022
Michigan
That would make more sense then a blown clutch with the symptoms, in my opinion. Any idea if you need to tear into the transmission for that or is in front of the trans towards the engine?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
That would make more sense then a blown clutch with the symptoms, in my opinion. Any idea if you need to tear into the transmission for that or is in front of the trans towards the engine?
It is in front of the transmission. No need to go into transmission but it is a bit of a tough job because of the room to work in there!