B2650HSDC remote start install

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I thought I had a thread on this site, but I don't find it.

I had a thought to add a remote start to my tractor so I can get it warming up before I go out to blow snow.

Nobody around me has done it and I am scared to be the first.

Any thought on the ability to do this myself?
I noticed that the only safety that keeps it from starting is the parking brake. I have started the tractor standing outside of it, so no seat safety. Maybe it comes into play if brake is not on.

Could I get a remote control, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CCSG2ZY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1, device like this and use one button for the glow plugs and another for the starter?
I don't know enough to know if I install additional relays for the remote glow and start functions. Also, how would I simulate the key start function?
The buttons on the remote seem to be able programmable for on/off function.

Any thoughts, cautions, experience

Talenel

Equipment
B2601HST
Dec 10, 2018
Staples, MN
I'm guessing your dealer doesn't have an option if you are looking at sctuff from amazon...

Cheap relays like those wont handle your glow plugs long, and the limited range even w/o obstacles, makes it sound like a good way of starting your tractor on fire. Especially with having to lock your functions to keep it running (you could have your glow plugs stay on...).

Is there a reputable car remote starter installer that you could ask about a remote start?

greeno

Equipment
B2710 w/LA402 FEL, BL4690 hoe, RB1560, GS1560, Haban 5' sickle bar, 5' JD RC
Jul 14, 2018
Big Lake MN
I’ve put a few aftermarket remote starts in cars before that was standard equipment. Not too hard IIRC.

You need to find a system that is diesel compatible, then see if you can get ahold of the manual before purchasing. What your looking for is if they have a relay for the glow plugs and if its programmable. I haven’t started a diesel pickup in awhile but I think the glow time is a lot shorter for a truck than a tractor in cold weather.

Cool idea though I’d go for it! But not with that cheap knock off it won’t last five minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I'm guessing your dealer doesn't have an option if you are looking at sctuff from amazon...

Cheap relays like those wont handle your glow plugs long, and the limited range even w/o obstacles, makes it sound like a good way of starting your tractor on fire. Especially with having to lock your functions to keep it running (you could have your glow plugs stay on...).

Is there a reputable car remote starter installer that you could ask about a remote start?
I would only use that as switching relays. I would install the standard 30/40 amp relay.

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
I’ve put a few aftermarket remote starts in cars before that was standard equipment. Not too hard IIRC.

You need to find a system that is diesel compatible, then see if you can get ahold of the manual before purchasing. What your looking for is if they have a relay for the glow plugs and if its programmable. I haven’t started a diesel pickup in awhile but I think the glow time is a lot shorter for a truck than a tractor in cold weather.

Cool idea though I’d go for it! But not with that cheap knock off it won’t last five minutes.

The manuals are geared towards a vehicle plug and play situation.
Little specifics as far as the wiring.
I can find diesel compatible units.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I don't think it's that hard to do, but I'm good with wiring.
I have several remote start units that will work.

DO NOT use something like the one you linked to on amazon, there is no coding, pairing or interlock, so any random signal could cause it to engage. Think of it just turing all Christine on you! = Christine, Stephen King, deadly possessed car, not good!

And yes you need a unit that is programmable and has a glow plug option.
You will also need to add/make a proof of run device or the system will just keep shutting down, this is done via the tach lead, but if it's a mechanical tach, which i do believe that model is, then you'll have to set that up.

The relay you need for the glow plugs is a 60 amp relay, a 30/40 will fry.

Yes the parking brake bypasses the seat switch, so yes it would be required to be set for the remote to work.

If your in a very cold section of Washington you might also have to add a remote block heater to the equation.

You'll need the WSM and need to be able to understand the wiring schematic and components.

Now the negative side of the system:
Because there is no computer to tie into and be able to read engine parameters, any mechanical malfunction or failure can destroy it in nothing flat, I.E. loss of oil pressure, overheat, hydraulic failure. :eek:

Last edited:

Al2

Equipment
Kubota L4150 & L2900
Dec 16, 2015
Canada
Seems to me it would be a lot easier just to plug in the tractor block heater. Very easy to activate remotely when needed via Google Home or Amazon Echo. See my thread on Tractorbynet " Remote switch for shop furnace or block heater" for more info as others have posted suggestions other than Google Home.
Al

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Seems to me it would be a lot easier just to plug in the tractor block heater. Very easy to activate remotely when needed via Google Home or Amazon Echo. See my thread on Tractorbynet " Remote switch for shop furnace or block heater" for more info as others have posted suggestions other than Google Home.
Al
Yep you are right, I wasn't thinking clearly about it, just a remote on the block heater warms them up enough that remote start is a waste of money! ;)

It's early, snowy and cold outside... so I'm slow! :p

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Yep you are right, I wasn't thinking clearly about it, just a remote on the block heater warms them up enough that remote start is a waste of money! ;)

Keep it in Idaho. We don't want any....:eek:

Interesting thread that I'll be watching. Block heaters don't work here, no power in the barn but a remote start would, provided t would actuate the pre heat.

If you can do it with a diesel pickup (remote keyless start) why not a tractor. Would save me the trek to the barn on a cold winter day.

No interlocking switches on the M's. They start from the ground. In fact, how I usually cold start them anyway. Open the door. reach in and key the start switch.

Last edited:

majorwager

Equipment
MX5100 FEL ford 1620 FEL International 484 FEL Lull 844C
Flipper,

Several points, many folks on OTT who keep their tractors stored inside a garage or building, own smaller tractors. There is generally power available if they elect to employ a block heater.

It is also irresponsible to suggest that defeating factory interlock devices, is sound advice. From previous posts, have not seen an outpouring of owners who have disabled these devices.

By doing so, if an incident arises wherein an insurance claim arises from those circumstances, the insurance carrier may deny the claim based upon unauthorized and irresponsible modifications, even if said mod is NOT the direct cause of the claim. Use common sense.

The diesel pick-up trucks I have observed w/ remote starters, are equipped w/ auto transmission, no interlock to start, but is required to shift into gear. (Can't remove ignition key if park pawl not engaged)

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
You do not have to defeat any safety switches to start the two models I own from the ground. L3560 and B2650, and I suspect also Flip's M. Just don't try to move them from the ground.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You do not have to defeat any safety switches to start the two models I own from the ground. L3560 and B2650, and I suspect also Flip's M. Just don't try to move them from the ground.
That is correct. Only 'safety' switch / buzzer on mine is the PTO proximity switch in the seat. It sounds for 15 seconds if I have the PTO engaged and get out of the tractor. Shuttle and / or main shift has to be in neutral (one or the other or both) to start. Having said that, it will not start with the PTO engaged.

With an Ag tractor not occupying the seat and running the PTO is necessary at times like when powering a grain leg.

Thought I probably could engage the shuttle from the ground, I'd never do that. Don't feel the need to get run over.

Remote start would be nice for me. Would save me the trip to the barn to get one of them running and in the winter, I always warm them up for at least 10 minutes before doing anything. When I'm getting heat from the heater, I feel the tractor is sufficiently warm to work.

Both mine start right up no matter how cold it is. Never felt the need for a block heater not that I could power it anyway. 15 seconds max on the glo plugs and one turn and they are popping over.

I did install the master disconnect switches on both a few weeks ago so I isolate the batteries now when they sit in the barn. Will be a plus too when I leave one of them sit in the field during hay time. I lock them up but it's just another 'layer' of deterrent for any would be thief.

Keeps everyone honest.

majorwager

Equipment
The L3560 hst does not have a clutch pedal. Were it a GST transmission, it would have a clutch interlock.??

Would be very surprised if the M-9000 was a clutch-less shuttle? Clutch pedal interlocks date back to the 1970's. Kubota is very safety conscience, would they market a post 2000 tractor minus a factory clutch interlock?

With a HST, the treadle pedal can be fickle, especially for tractors stored outdoors. NOT uncommon to require some movement before interlock will release. (Especially non-cabbed models)

Not really seeing a future in remote starters for tractors. A significant number of operating variables can manifest themselves when the operator is absent from the seat.

There was a time in the not to distant past when folks were just plain grateful that their tractor would actually start in cold weather. My, the times, they are a changin'

Last edited:

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa

While a block heater is an option, there is still the hydraulics warm up,correct?

I was thinking that the remote start would be more complete of a cold start option.

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Al
Maybe it was yours that I read, as I did read one with that info.

At this time, no power in the pole building, but it is something I want to do.

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Flipper,

Several points, many folks on OTT who keep their tractors stored inside a garage or building, own smaller tractors. There is generally power available if they elect to employ a block heater.

It is also irresponsible to suggest that defeating factory interlock devices, is sound advice. From previous posts, have not seen an outpouring of owners who have disabled these devices.

By doing so, if an incident arises wherein an insurance claim arises from those circumstances, the insurance carrier may deny the claim based upon unauthorized and irresponsible modifications, even if said mod is NOT the direct cause of the claim. Use common sense.

The diesel pick-up trucks I have observed w/ remote starters, are equipped w/ auto transmission, no interlock to start, but is required to shift into gear. (Can't remove ignition key if park pawl not engaged)
I am in no way looking to bypass any safeties. I would not want to have an issue because of that.

As for the warranty issue, that was something I did not take into consideration. This is a brand new tractor with KTAC on it. I would not want to jeopardize that.

Orange1forme

Equipment
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
DO NOT use something like the one you linked to on amazon, there is no coding, pairing or interlock, so any random signal could cause it to engage. Think of it just turing all Christine on you! = Christine, Stephen King, deadly possessed car, not good!
Since you seem well versed in this, what device could I use for a remote function that is similar.

I was thinking of this for some other things, but if it can "randomly" be activated I don't want that.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Since you seem well versed in this, what device could I use for a remote function that is similar.

I was thinking of this for some other things, but if it can "randomly" be activated I don't want that.
The type of remote would be based on what you wanted it to do, there are quite a few options out there. ;)

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
I’ve done remote starts for diesel vehicles professionally. For the tractor, I would find out what safety interlocks are available to tap from to ensure 100% safety and to see if the glow plug time is compatible with the remote start. Some remote starts have programmable glow plug time before it will start. Anything outside of those two parameters, I’d strongly advise against putting one in.

majorwager

Equipment
There is a member, believe he goes by the name fishpick, not certain of spelling.

He has an interesting arrangement. His storage barn has electricity. He set his block heater, believe it was a circulating type?, to operate by WIFI. He has a router in the barn. Believe he also has an air temp sensor, so he activates the block heater from his home through his phone or computer. He has cameras in the barn to monitor the system. Once he reported a faulty plug, and the block heater became deactivated.

Now, with cameras, he can watch the pilot light at the plug to insure the system is active. He further noted that with the block heater, the engine rises to operating temps almost immediately upon start up. Hyd oil temp would be slight delay.

He did a thread on the system but can't remember if it was on OTT or another site.

Much more efficient and safer than starting an unattended tractor.

Back in the 80's I had a circulating block heater on my IH. This is a hard starting tractor in cold temps. That block heater was amazing, tractor started w/ no additional aid, not glow plug equipped, has factory ether injector.

The engine operating temp was almost immediate, upon starting. The heating element was around 1000 watts, perhaps 1200. (120V) GFI circuit

The tractor was housed in a metal bldg, but the unit would likely function outside.

Just seems a simplified solution, as opposed to starting an unattended tractor.

Last edited: