B2650 stalling when pressing forward or reverse pedal

1971Corvette

Apr 13, 2020
Northeastern, USA
I have a low-hours 2019 B2650 that I bought a few months ago. Overall it runs excellent, starts no problem, and idles smoothly. I've used it probably about 10 hours without any issues. This weekend I was using it around the house and noticed that, when traveling in reverse, the engine would simply stall when the reverse pedal was depressed fully. At first I thought it was just a fluke, but they it started to do it when even creeping in reverse, and then the problem also started to occur when moving forward. At idle the engine is fine, but when I press either forward or reverse the engine simply dies. It makes no difference if it's on flat ground, or how high the engine is revving - it's like there's a kill switch being triggered. After it stalls the engine restarts immediately with a turn of the key with no signs of issues.

Any ideas? The problem was getting progressively worse over the weekend to the point the tractor is almost not usable.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Check you seat safety switch..... that will kill the engine quick like and in a hurry if out of adjustment;)

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
9 times out of ten on that model it is the hst safety switch. Had the same problem with mine and several other members with the B2650. No big deal. Replace switch couple of years ago and no problems ever since. Seem like a bad run of those switches for a while.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
The first thing that comes to mind is the seat switch. Or more to the point how you are sitting on the seat. Mine gives me fits sometimes. I put various pads to try to activate it more reliably, but there are times when it will die three or 4 times before I can get it out of the barn. Try sitting hard and back in the seat, and adjust the seat position so you don't have to lean forward to reach the throttle. If you can't get it to work, talk to your dealer about replacing it under warranty.

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The first thing that comes to mind is the seat switch. Or more to the point how you are sitting on the seat. Mine gives me fits sometimes. I put various pads to try to activate it more reliably, but there are times when it will die three or 4 times before I can get it out of the barn. Try sitting hard and back in the seat, and adjust the seat position so you don't have to lean forward to reach the throttle. If you can't get it to work, talk to your dealer about replacing it under warranty.
What she said!!!

1971Corvette

Apr 13, 2020
Northeastern, USA
It is still under warranty. I suppose I could get the dealer to take care of it, but it's such a hassle getting the tractor to and from.

With these tips I'll probably be able to track it down. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so replacing a switch should be relatively simple (provided it's accessible)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It is still under warranty. I suppose I could get the dealer to take care of it, but it's such a hassle getting the tractor to and from.

With these tips I'll probably be able to track it down. I'm pretty mechanically inclined so replacing a switch should be relatively simple (provided it's accessible)
If your experiments with how you sit support the idea that it is the seat switch, it will be easy. On the B2650 the switch is embedded in a pad that is velcroed to the seat. I think it just plugs in. Maybe the dealer would demonstrate on a model there and you could take a new one home and install on yours.

If it is in the HST pedal I don't know, rkidd could tell you.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Here was my quick fix for my seat switch issue...Not saying that you should do this but you can easily see if that is causing your issue ...I doubt it's the seat switch since it only happens to you when reversing...I think its more likely the HST switch.

B2650 switch fix.JPG

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I too have had problems with my B2650HSDC shutting down while attempting to go in forward or reverse. I started troubleshooting it about a month ago, and tested all the safety switches that would cause a shutdown. I came to the conclusion that it must be the seat switch. On the cab b2650 the switch is in the seat pad as previously mentioned. I unplugged the wiring harness behind the seat, and installed a jumper wire on the incoming side of the harness. Since then I have not had a shutdown of the engine when the hst pedal is depressed in either direction. My intention was to not leave it in bypassed condition, however, when I called my dealer to get a new seat pad switch covered under warranty, I was informed that the tractor would have to be brought in and the troubleshooting would have to be performed by them to be covered under warranty. Also if I were to just buy any safety switch and install it myself that part would not be covered by any warranty. This leaves me little choice in correcting the problem other than to leave the seat switch bypassed. Something I would rather not do. My other concern is that any replacement switch I purchased would have the same problem and would not solve anything. I still have until next May before my warranty is done, so if something major happens I will find a way to get my tractor to them, and have them replace the seat pad switch as well. Till then I guess the switch will remain bypassed.