b2650 Operating RPM's...

RLinNH

Equipment
B2650,LA534,BH77
Mar 10, 2018
NH
I have to ask as I saw it mentioned someplace else here that the "normal" operating range for his/her tractor was 1500 rpm's. Like I said in my intro, tractor virgin here. I have been running her at 1800ish for normal operating such as driving, scraping snow off the driveway, just the normal every day stuff. Dealer told me to max out the rpm's whenever using the bucket, so that's what I have been doing. Do ya think 1800 rpm's is to much for normal operations such as driving? I just feel that 1500 is to slow. Opinions?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Nothing is too much....
It's a self governed setup, you can not over rev the motor. ;)

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It really depends on the individual tractor model and engine and the gear you're in. People run the new common rail dpf engines a little higher than average to reduce the frequency of regens. That doesn't apply to the B 2650, but it does have the same engine design as the 3350 which does. I run mine full blast when using the pto for snow blowing and in low gear.

I used the loader on the 2650 a bunch last summer, and seems like I used about 1800. The L3560 I have to dial back when using the loader to avoid clanging the bucket when unloading and up it when diving into a pile. You'll get the feel of it pretty fast.

gregb46

May 11, 2017
Hampstead, MD
I have to ask as I saw it mentioned someplace else here that the "normal" operating range for his/her tractor was 1500 rpm's. Like I said in my intro, tractor virgin here. I have been running her at 1800ish for normal operating such as driving, scraping snow off the driveway, just the normal every day stuff. Dealer told me to max out the rpm's whenever using the bucket, so that's what I have been doing. Do ya think 1800 rpm's is to much for normal operations such as driving? I just feel that 1500 is to slow. Opinions?

I'm new to tractors as well (152 hrs on a B2650). I believe I was told by the dealer to run it at 2500 rpm when doing any FEL work or using any 3 pt attachments. In my case a box blade maintaining a gravel road or pushing snow with a scraper blade. I too am interested in others thoughts or experience. I don't want to unnecessarily overwork the engine or waste fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rkidd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, FEL With QA 60"mmm, 3pt FDR1672,homemade ballast box, BB 1572 box scraper
Dec 7, 2015
Jefferson Ohio
Diesel engines are designed to be run at or close to pto rpms. You are not doing them any favors running them at half throttle. I always run my B2650 between 2200 -2500 rpms depending on what I am doing. Not saying you cant run them slower if you are doing something touchy.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Diesel engines are designed to be run at or close to pto rpms. You are not doing them any favors running them at half throttle. I always run my B2650 between 2200 -2500 rpms depending on what I am doing. Not saying you cant run them slower if you are doing something touchy.
This right here ^^^

My dealer told me it's hard on the hydro trans to run it at half throttle. Use the range lever and a light touch on the hydro pedal to control speed.

conropl

Equipment
L3560 HSDC
Oct 17, 2016
West Michigan
I tend to run higher throttle because I do not see a real down side, but you will get varying opinions. So some basics...
1. You cannot hurt your tractor going full throttle.
2. You can hurt your tractor if you are running to low of a throttle and work it hard enough to lug the engine. Do not lug the engine.

Therefore a good rule of thumb: At a minimum, make sure your throttle is high enough that when you load it with whatever work you are doing, you do not see the RPM's dropping appreciably.

Ortimber

Sep 27, 2016
Oregon
I agree with others, run it at higher RPM unless you are doing something like precise loader work and you need a slower hydraulic response. I know my little L3901 whines more at lower RPM and that alone (not to mention regens) is enough reason to keep the revs up.

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
After break in I have been running mine at 2000, seems like a good rpm for most of what I do. Good to know you can run at a higher rpm when needed without hurting the engine. When using the brush hog I run it at 520 pto rpm. Is the pto rpm at 520 the max you should run?

RLinNH

Equipment
B2650,LA534,BH77
Mar 10, 2018
NH
Great responses here. And yet another learning experience. I never knew that if my motor was lugging, I was not doing it any favors. So it looks like I have been at to low of a throttle. Once again, thanks to all for the replies:):D:):D

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
After break in I have been running mine at 2000, seems like a good rpm for most of what I do. Good to know you can run at a higher rpm when needed without hurting the engine. When using the brush hog I run it at 520 pto rpm. Is the pto rpm at 520 the max you should run?
540 is rated PTO RPM. That's the minimum you should run for PTO equipment in most cases.

I run my snowblower at 560-580 just because I can and it throws the snow a little further.