B219 FEL Bucket Cylinders

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
I'm looking to replace them with 12" strokes since I'm already planning to modify a replacement bucket I got for $50. The slightly extra length would allow me to have the bucket curl up a little more at ground level yet still dump at an elevated position. I will be modifying the cylinder end bracket on the FEL to accommodate the longer length anyway.

Has anyone been able to source and/or recommend cylinders that would do the job? I tried Baileys and Surplus but can't seem to find the right fit in the 2" bore size. I've seen small loaders with 1.5" bore and was wondering if they may be ok for the bucket because I found some from Bailey's that will fit perfectly.

Hope you guys can help...

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Try Northern Tool and Equipment, they have a pretty good selection of cylinders. Not sure if it's what you are looking for but they have several different ones with 2" bore and 12" stroke.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Oops, sorry, brain malfunction....:eek:

seanbarr

Equipment
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
No Bulldog, quite limited. I'm at the point of just seeking verification that 1.5" bore cylinders will do fine. I've seen other slightly larger tractors have 1.5" cylinders so I just only wonder why the 2" on these.

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
You will lose almost half the cylinder force if you drop from 2 to 1.5". The number you care about here is the cross sectional area that your hydraulic pressure is acting upon.

Other tractors may have higher pressures and/or different loader geometry and thus not apples-apples.

seanbarr

Equipment
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
Magkarl, Thank you! That makes sense and likely why the loader has 2" cylinders. I wonder if the limiting factor was the pump itself or the fact that it's the horsepower of the B7100?

Bulldog, that may just be the ticket! I'll have to call about the width of the cross tubes. While my old cylinders use 3/4", I suppose I can always use internal bushings to reduce the diameter. Hopefully it's workable!

Thanks guys!

seanbarr

Equipment
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
True, hopefully I can do just that, if needed be. The question is the cylinder size, it just looks bigger on the website but then that could be the stock photo of a shorter cylinder. I'll let you know how it turns out!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
A good machine shop can cut down rams and cylinders but the cost may be around the same for new.

They can't add length though (not reliably anyway) and so you can do some things to make them longer.

Buy longer rams. The stroke will be the same length but you'll adjust the action of the item being acted upon. Most of the time they'll just relocate the 'mount point' of the cylinder to do the same thing.

Buy much smaller rams and create a mechanical cam/fulcrum to adjust the mount point of the main rams. You connect the small ram in parallel with the larger one but use the small rams mechanical advantage on the fulcrum to actually deliver more power to the main ram. This is actually seen out of the factory on some heavier duty loaders and such.

Attachments