Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Geddy helping with dinner other night…

View attachment 119897
Haha, helping. That's just like our place...always waiting for that possible tidbit to drop.

We have (now had) five furries, where there is always one under foot or on your backside...following.

My wife added another color into the mix for the new year. We now have a white female Pug pup added to the clan. She looks like a Cotton Ball with legs. I asked the wife...what's her name? She replied..."Cotton" 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Haha, helping. That's just like our place...always waiting for that possible tidbit to drop.

We have (now had) five furries, where there is always one under foot or on your backside...following.

My wife added another color into the mix for the new year. We now have a white female Pug pup added to the clan. She looks like a Cotton Ball with legs. I asked the wife...what's her name? She replied..."Cotton" 😂
The Mrs. family had a couple Boxers, then a Pug for many years.

Followed by a Bassett Hound.

Never been around small dogs, but we’re getting of the age where it should be a consideration in our future.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Nothing says a relaxing winter afternoon better….

IMG_6403.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
The pups seem to really enjoy the colder weather…the little one seemed to think it was a good idea to run thru some burrs until his ears looked like a Christmas decoration…he did not seem to enjoy them being removed. 😆

Attachments

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Our new guard dog. Breeder said that he is a Great Dane, but I am leaning more toward him being a German Shepard.
MVC-007L.JPG

• Haha
  • Love

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The Mrs. was going through some old photos:

Ernie - the Gentle Giant. SPCA dog and guess Retriever/Great Dane cross?

150 pounds when in his prime. Ran/walked 3-4 miles per day with Mom.

Didn't have a mean bone in his body, but protective of his family when he got older.

Lived to 12.

IMG_6421.jpeg

IMG_6422.jpeg

IMG_6416.jpeg

Murray - our first Boxer.

Kind of odd personality. Likely puppy mill product, and died at 7 years old right in front of "the Dragon" (pellet stove) at home. Came from a family breeder, but we don’t think they were conscientious about their practices.

He was still a great guy and we often talk about him. Made us laugh every day, until a Saturday morning he didn’t…

IMG_6418.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
The past ten days...has been growingly sad, as we've watched our 9 year old females love for her meals switch off. At first we thought she was being stubborn because of the new pup. We made an appointment for her with the Doc. After bloodwork and a full check-up, it was determined she had an upset stomach. We were given medicine for nausea and an antibiotic. Days past, and her body mass became less and less. Each night we go to sleep, to wake in hopes she feels better. I've tried to get her to eat everything imaginable, yet she refuses. We are 13 days since it all started...shes lost so much weight, she's now skin and bones. It pains me to make her suffer any longer.

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Sorry to hear that.... been through it many times.:cry:
I wish they stayed around longer.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
The older I get, the harder it becomes.

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The past ten days...has been growingly sad, as we've watched our 9 year old females love for her meals switch off. At first we thought she was being stubborn because of the new pup. We made an appointment for her with the Doc. After bloodwork and a full check-up, it was determined she had an upset stomach. We were given medicine for nausea and an antibiotic. Days past, and her body mass became less and less. Each night we go to sleep, to wake in hopes she feels better. I've tried to get her to eat everything imaginable, yet she refuses. We are 13 days since it all started...shes lost so much weight, she's now skin and bones. It pains me to make her suffer any longer.
What are you feeding? If it is a Purina product get her off of it immediately. I suggest that you consider some fresh frozen food in limited amounts to get her eating again. If you need more information, please send me a PM with your telephone number and I will fill you in with what is presently going on in the pet food feeding problems with Purina products.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have no right to be critical, but it sounds like your vet has missed something, and I am sorry if this thought only adds to your grief. Is there a vet teaching hospital or a specialty clinic nearby that you could discuss with your vet that she be referred to if he/she is stumped? Or if not that you could just take her to? If she is not eating she could be turned around by something as simple as being rehydrated until a more concrete diagnosis can be obtained.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
What are you feeding? If it is a Purina product get her off of it immediately. I suggest that you consider some fresh frozen food in limited amounts to get her eating again. If you need more information, please send me a PM with your telephone number and I will fill you in with what is presently going on in the pet food feeding problems with Purina products.
Trimley, while I have not used either the fresh frozen foods or Purina, there is something to be said to feeding people food when needed. I have been through 3 months of loose stools in an old dog, and none of the digestive remedies provided by my vet worked for any length of time. Same with neighbor. (Can you imagine living with a Great Dane with diarrhea?) She finally switched to a diet heavy in rice, meat and vegetables she cooked herself, and he is like a puppy again. The loose stools in my dog are much better if I include rice, banana, a little hamburger in her food.

There is very little or no quality control in pet food. One bad can or bag could include a toxin, and damage kidney or gut or? In some cases if that has happened all one can do is provide supportive care until the damage is healed. I have been feeding royal Canin, and even at that you can see and smell the difference from one can to the next.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Trimley, while I have not used either the fresh frozen foods or Purina, there is something to be said to feeding people food when needed. I have been through 3 months of loose stools in an old dog, and none of the digestive remedies provided by my vet worked for any length of time. Same with neighbor. (Can you imagine living with a Great Dane with diarrhea?) She finally switched to a diet heavy in rice, meat and vegetables she cooked herself, and he is like a puppy again. The loose stools in my dog are much better if I include rice, banana, a little hamburger in her food.

There is very little or no quality control in pet food. One bad can or bag could include a toxin, and damage kidney or gut or? In some cases if that has happened all one can do is provide supportive care until the damage is healed. I have been feeding royal Canin, and even at that you can see and smell the difference from one can to the next.
I have to make an exception to you about there being "little or no quality control in pet food" since I believe that you are painting the entire industry with a very wide brush that isn't warranted. I know for a fact that many pet food companies go to great lengths to make sure that the products that they sell to the public are uniform and nutritious. Other companies are more interested in profits and gaining market share and put more money into advertising than they do in the product in the bag. I will not get into naming the companies that are good or bad. I agree with you that even a home-cooked product can and will bring a dog back from the brink of death under certain conditions. Most people have no idea about the large corporate entities that own the various brands of food that are presently being espoused by some veterinarians today. It has been said in certain circles of the pet industry that many veterinary practices are being given incentives to promote certain brands. One of the largest companies in pet food manufacturing has approximately 50 brands and also owns more than 1000 veterinary clinics.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have to make an exception to you about there being "little or no quality control in pet food" since I believe that you are painting the entire industry with a very wide brush that isn't warranted. I know for a fact that many pet food companies go to great lengths to make sure that the products that they sell to the public are uniform and nutritious. Other companies are more interested in profits and gaining market share and put more money into advertising than they do in the product in the bag. I will not get into naming the companies that are good or bad. I agree with you that even a home-cooked product can and will bring a dog back from the brink of death under certain conditions. Most people have no idea about the large corporate entities that own the various brands of food that are presently being espoused by some veterinarians today. It has been said in certain circles of the pet industry that many veterinary practices are being given incentives to promote certain brands. One of the largest companies in pet food manufacturing has approximately 50 brands and also owns more than 1000 veterinary clinics.
I don't actually disagree with what you say, although there are probably only a relatively small number that self regulate effectively. Furthermore, there is no doubt that companies provide incentives to vets for selling their brands. E.g. Hills provided food at reduced cost to the vet students to sell to support educational activities. Most vets sell only one brand of prescription diet. Guess which one.
It is getting too late at night to write coherently about the ways that vet practices are being bought up by companies, and being shaped to practice what I call assembly line medicine. This mimics what has happened to human medicine, although in the latter the insurance industry has molded that change. I can rant about that later.