Awesome dogs / Crazy pets Thread

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
We do our long walks early AM and late evening due to heat. It was 96° yesterday when I got home from work at 6pm. So it was a quick walk to do her business and back in the AC.
Yeah, we usually do another 2 0r 3 in the evening. Weekends he gets a morning run and an evening walk.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Oh yeah, let the fur tumble weeds begin. Got to the point where we have his and her vacuums.
Even short-haired Boxers shed quite a bit….

The reason we got our first Boxer was because my in laws had them when my wife was young. My father in law always spoke so highly of the breed.

My mother in law always said she liked boxers because they didn’t shed.

That’s BS, as all dogs shed….:D.

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
New “pet” that we didn’t have long.

Didn’t kill it. Got relocated a ways from the house where it wouldn’t come back.

We had an Eastern Garter Snake under a freezer in the garage last year. Harmless and good to limit other pests.

Don’t want to fetch another one from the garage again.

Seem to have a bumper crop of Garters this year.

Recollection is that garters are oviviparous (?), meaning they give birth to live young.

IMG_5945.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Two more today.

Had to grab the tongs I use in the fire pit for one. Little cuss got amongst our planter boxes.

Being a former cook they’re like an extension of my hand. Geddy helped…. ;)

IMG_0475.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I like having my wild (non-poisonous) snakes around my property. They keep the frogs, bugs, and lizards in check.
And mice!
Oh, I do as well. We’ve had garter snakes near the house for all of the 32 years we’ve been here. When I say near, they’re often right along the foundation walls.

For the first time last year, one came in our garage, and it ended up under our freezers right next to the kitchen door. :(

I relocated them 100-150 feet from the house in attractive terrain for a garter.

Some may come back, but some not. We’ll have others I’m sure.

Reactions: 1 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
When we moved to the cottage and had to move the wood pile to the wood shed I built I never seen so many garter snakes in one spot. It was like move a couple arm loads of wood then come back and grab 3 or 4 snakes and relocate them to their new home. When the sun was shinning they would lay on top of the firewood to get the heat but in the mornings if I needed wood they would be in between the logs and in little time it was like they seemed to sense I meant them no harm. They were welcome to all the mice they could eat

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Oh, I do as well. We’ve had garter snakes near the house for all of the 32 years we’ve been here. When I say near, they’re often right along the foundation walls.

For the first time last year, one came in our garage, and it ended up under our freezers right next to the kitchen door. :(

I relocated them 100-150 feet from the house in attractive terrain for a garter.

Some may come back, but some not. We’ll have others I’m sure.
This reminds me I need to make some Owl boxes. The mice were relentless last winter. Gotta attract some critters that'll eat them when snakes are dormant. It's either that, or I stop feeding the dog. He averages 1 mouse a day in the winter. Maybe being hungry will boost his desire 😄

• Haha

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Well, unfortunately our labs toe was not healing and surgery was suggested. One of the toes was removed and sent for further testing. She’s a feisty girl. One rough day and bounced right back. We are missing our daily routine of walks and other activities but we are trying to come up with other ideas to occupy the minds. She needs a bandage change every couple of days, and a boot to wear outside, plus the dread cone. Those hard plastic ones are a nightmare….I didn’t know soft shell cones existed until I did a little research. We are giving this Comfy Cone a try…

View attachment 105083

View attachment 105084

View attachment 105085
Comfy Cones have plastic stays that can be removed to make the cone more comfortable for the dog. They are far superior to any other type of cone. Well worth the extra cost to make the dogs life a little easier.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Huey (plush coat GSD)is now approaching 1 yr old…just completed first dethatching…
The fur is really flying today…Oh my…it’s getting worse…here is current condition…you can see where the bunnies blew up in the yard and then a before and after shot…he is normally black…but in the before you can see the clumps of light brown coming out…it’s like pig pen from peanuts but with fur. (None of our other GSDs have shed this much😂)

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
It was a $1 bet for ‘closest to the pin’ that Henry won over Colt

IMG_0453.jpeg

• Haha

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I “helped” Dad mow the lawn and got a piece of grass in my eye…. :(

(Hoping it’s cleared from his eye - can’t see it anymore when pulling the eyelids).

Mowing and trimming are tough jobs…I’m snoring at 7:30 pm on a Friday night.

IMG_5952.jpeg

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
This reminds me I need to make some Owl boxes. The mice were relentless last winter. Gotta attract some critters that'll eat them when snakes are dormant. It's either that, or I stop feeding the dog. He averages 1 mouse a day in the winter. Maybe being hungry will boost his desire 😄
Ya know I havent heard the screech owls this year, maybe I should hammer a couple boxes together for next spring, do you have a good plans for them ?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
#5. Geddy helped.

The Mrs. Facebook buddies are mortified I use a pair of kitchen tongs to grab them. Those tongs are only used at our fire pit. They’re a cheapie type I never liked for cooking. Guessing I only bought them cause I couldn’t get the good ones.

I have several others that are heavier-duty I use for food…..geez…I was a professional cook for years and also was a Restaurant Health Inspector for years after that …….🙄🙄😒

I was really fast and good with a knife.

I sometimes gave rookie cooks knife lessons (including sharpening) when I did inspections. Wasn’t part of my job description, but wanted them to work safely.

Geddy was also the “star” of the Dog Walking forecast on our Friday morning news. Neither of us saw it……

IMG_5956.jpeg

IMG_5954.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
This seems pretty relatable 🙄🙄🙄 Got three Walmart sacks worth in about 10 minutes tonight. 😳😳😳

IMG_20230702_193938.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users