Assisted suicide?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Personally, knowing Henro and his writings for almost 20 years now, I believe that he is losing touch with reality, and is only seeing the darker side of life, and is commenting on those things that he can't change. He is trying to get us involved in the discussion looking for either agreement or disagreement. I believe that he is in need of more professional help than we can give. Henro, if you are reading this, as I believe, please talk to your wife about getting you professional help. We are your friends and if I didn't care, I wouldn't be making this post. I don't think that you are mentally unstable, but I do believe that you are suffering from depression. Dusty/Junkman

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
and how to you know the end is near, and how close is "near"?

Docs said my GF's mom had 3 months. 6 years later she passed peacefully with family by her side. My brother, same deal. Doc said 6 months tops. That was 18 years ago. He's doing fine. They also told me that I was mostly DOA when I was 8 (CO poisoning), said revival was highly unlikely and guess what? They was wrong.

Point is, nobody ever knows when the end is near so don't go doing something stupid. Also need to think about the trauma the family has to endure regardless of the method chosen. I've heard it many times "I'd rather eat a bullet than suffer through, whatever. To that, I say "QUITTER".

Dear lady friend of mine from years back came by the house about 2 years ago and said she has cancer in the brain (stage 4) and probably would be our last meeting. I saw her today. Doing well. Not cancer free but doing well. Pretty as ever. She was ready to give up but apparently someone aint done with her yet.

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
My Mother in Law, who I thought the world of, asked to move in with us when she got her cancer diagnosis. We gave her our bedroom and 6 months later she died an agonizing death. She never asked us to do anything, but didn’t understand why she had to suffer so much. Died terribly in my wife’s arms. We, as a society, need to allow death with dignity. Ive seen how bad it can get, would not wish that on my worst enemy.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
In the end a HEAVY morphine drip will do!

Hunters gun

Equipment
“My gun collection is bigger than your gun collection”
Oct 18, 2021
PA
my mom died from cancer New Years eve 5 years ago. I held her in my arms while she took her final breaths. It wasnt easy and I remember it like yesterday. I greatly enjoyed her living in my home in our final months together. She hid the obvious pain but never mentioned quitting. I think she set a good example for all of us who had the pleasure and privilege of caring for her in her final months. She was a model of courage and bravery in the face of a horrible situation. My wife and kids learned a lot about Life and death back then.

Reactions: 2 users

HVACRoger

Equipment
2021 L2501 Loader, Backhoe, LandPride Grapple, Tiller, Forks, Quick Connect
Dec 20, 2021
Wilson, NC
In the end a HEAVY morphine drip will do!
I watched my Father-in-law (12-24-14), Mother-in-law (11-22-15), Mother (3-25-17) pass that way. Not the way I would have preferred. I know the smile my Mother gave me as she slipped away probable was the morphine, but I will aways believe it was, as she had always told me, she was proud of me. In that moment of tranquility she gave me the last of her love with dignity and met her Saviour.

Reactions: 5 users

HVACRoger

Equipment
Dec 20, 2021
Wilson, NC
I started reading this post shortly after Henro placed it. It struck me as very awkward at first but as I read on it felt like a cry for help. I'm new to the site so not familiar with the jest of members and their postings. I care for people and their lives. So I will just state, Henro if you need anything, GO GET HELP! Alot of people care and want to help!! Life is worth every breathe no matter how dire the circumstances may be or seem to be.
If this is for your entertainment to prod for responses, invoke sympathy, play games, ect. GO GET HELP!!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Personally, knowing Henro and his writings for almost 20 years now, I believe that he is losing touch with reality, and is only seeing the darker side of life, and is commenting on those things that he can't change. He is trying to get us involved in the discussion looking for either agreement or disagreement. I believe that he is in need of more professional help than we can give. Henro, if you are reading this, as I believe, please talk to your wife about getting you professional help. We are your friends and if I didn't care, I wouldn't be making this post. I don't think that you are mentally unstable, but I do believe that you are suffering from depression. Dusty/Junkman
Wow DustyRusty!

At first I thought your post was tongue in cheek, but now on a reread, you might just be serious! LOL.

Don't worry, I have a positive outlook on life and we have no family history of depression for the four generations I am familiar with. Doubt your concern is valid, but do appreciate it.

I reread my post and I see I was not clear as to what I was referring to. It was related to choices that people have, or do not have, when they suffer a terminal illness, and may be in terrible pain wishing for it to end. Knowing that they will suffer greatly until it ends.

I absolutely was not meaning to imply that if a person was down in the dumps, that he should be able to flick a switch and end his life. I realize that people become depressed and do things like that. I think because of my basically positive outlook on life (subjective statement, I know) I never think of such things as being a possibility.

Rather than loosing sight of reality, I think I am in touch with it, and see things that might be improved, changed, or best kept the same. I should have included a link to the article I read that caused me to start this thread. I am pretty certain it was related to terminal illness. Even then, like Lugbolt said, nothing is for certain. At least until it is for certain. Unbearable pain and a medical diagnosis of weeks or days left before the end would likely be certain in my mind.

The off topic forum is a place to share thoughts and hear opinions of others, who may think the same or differently. For me, I like to hear thoughts that may be different than what I am thinking, and use those thoughts to possibly adjust my thinking. Open minds do this, closed minds do not. Not implying that anyone here has a closed mind, but some certainly are more rigid in their thinking than others.

My attitude has always been that the wife and I will live to be a hundred years old, and pass away peacefully in our sleep on the same night when we reach that milestone.

Just trying to make you feel better; you sound a bit depressed in your post. (LOL, poor attempt at humor.)

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I don't see a problem with having a discussion about how our lives end. Oregon state has allowed physician assisted suicide for quite a few years now. A doctor can write a prescription for a lethal cocktail but I don't know how often this is done. I'm in favor of this option when it's appropriate, and I would think that there are a number of checks in place before a doctor will give this option to a patient. That said, the number of suicides in this country for non- terminally ill individuals is tragic.

Many of us have been touched by suicide. I've never spoken of this on a public forum but my oldest brother took his own life on 12/03/04 when he was 46 and my uncle (mother's brother) did the same in 1983 when he was 52. Both were in good physical health but my brother was extremely depressed due to a divorce and my uncle suffered from epilepsy, which in combination with medication and depression led to his suicide. Mental illness and/or depression is a big problem for many people, and it's something that we need to recognize and respond to.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I started reading this post shortly after Henro placed it. It struck me as very awkward at first but as I read on it felt like a cry for help. I'm new to the site so not familiar with the jest of members and their postings. I care for people and their lives. So I will just state, Henro if you need anything, GO GET HELP! Alot of people care and want to help!! Life is worth every breathe no matter how dire the circumstances may be or seem to be.
If this is for your entertainment to prod for responses, invoke sympathy, play games, ect. GO GET HELP!!
You can read my reply to DustyRusty, but I do appreciate your concern.

I realize I blundered badly in the original post. It never occurred to me to think about people suffering from depression. Not part of my make up...IF I had terminal illness and severe pain that some people end up suffering on my mind, as the result of reading an article about Austria, and should have been specific about what I was referring to.

Definitely a poor performance on my part...no argument there.

One positive is that in the future I will hopefully have learned to be more clear about what I am trying to say.

Edit: I added the red IF. Messed up so much in the start of this thread I am rereading it...

Last edited:

HVACRoger

Equipment
Dec 20, 2021
Wilson, NC
You can read my reply to DustyRusty, but I do appreciate your concern.

I realize I blundered badly in the original post. It never occurred to me to think about people suffering from depression. Not part of my make up...I had terminal illness and severe pain that some people end up suffering on my mind, as the result of reading an article about Austria, and should have been specific about what I was referring to.

Definitely a poor performance on my part...no argument there.

One positive is that in the future I will hopefully have learned to be more clear about what I am trying to say.
I did read the reply, and like many others I am glad you continue to communicate. I feel your sincerity, just as I was feeling what I believed to be your despair. Just know we are many that are concerned for you! Never believe no one out here cares no matter the severity life brings. God Bless you brother!!

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I did read the reply, and like many others I am glad you continue to communicate. I feel your sincerity, just as I was feeling what I believed to be your despair. Just know we are many that are concerned for you! Never believe no one out here cares no matter the severity life brings. God Bless you brother!!
Thanks for the concern. I wish I were better about being concerned for others. Not that I am that bad at caring about others, but sometimes I am...and sometimes revert to the feeling that it is "their decision, let them live with it."

But in many ways it is NOT their decision in real terms if they suffer from depression. They make the decision, but there may be reasons beyond their control that drives them to make such decisions. I feel bad about that.

It takes special people to become concerned about people that they have never met.

I can assure you though, that in my case I am above the bar as far as feeling good about life goes. I wish everyone were the same. I can not even imagine what goes on for those who suffer from depression.

Again, I apologize for not thinking through the original post initially...

Edit: I am sorry but I have to laugh about the segment of your post that I highlighted. Almost sounds like I am convicted without being sent to trial. Sorry, you probably did not mean it that way...of course I will continue to communicate! It is the henro way...LOL

BUT I am sure some here wish I did NOT continue to communicate...ROFL

Edit: Just realized I have to do a better job on thread titles too~ Should have been something like: Assisted suicide for terminally ill patients?

Last edited:

Cranblue

Feb 23, 2019
Lincolnton NC
Morbid issue. But consider we will make the end easier for our beloved pets. In some cases, the love for a pet is greater than that of another person.
Suicide at home, if there are others in the persons life is a terrible ordeal. Not only the shock of discovery but the police must investigate and document, even a natural death not in a medical location (ie, hospital).
While I firmly feel people should have the right to determine their own destiny, it must be done in an unselfish manner by any and all involved. Suffering in last days of life is cruel (and inhumane).
A point I was going to make !!! Lawyers and greed prevent what we do to animals. We let animals die with dignity but not humans…

procraftmike

Equipment
1977 B7100DT w/B219 FEL
Jan 27, 2016
Neenah, WI
Suicide doesn't end the pain it just passes it on to someone else. My brother took his life on Jan. 1, 2018 and he definitely passed the pain on to those who loved him.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Suicide doesn't end the pain it just passes it on to someone else. My brother took his life on Jan. 1, 2018 and he definitely passed the pain on to those who loved him.
Sorry for your loss. No more can be said.

Apologize again for my poor choice of a thread title...AND for the poor post that followed it.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
What option do our pets have? The owner makes the choice for them. They have no choice in the matter.

mattwithcats

Jun 17, 2017
Virginia
I’m “Do No Resuscitate”, ”Do Not Intubate”, “No Heroic Measures”, and wear dog tags saying this.

All monies got to a small college on whose campus I grew up on, and they will find homes for my cats.

Contents of the house go to a local Church…

If I get much sicker, I’m headed to Oregon where my Sister lives, and assisted suicide is legal.
You need two doctors notes saying your terminally ill…

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Sorry for your loss. No more can be said.

Apologize again for my poor choice of a thread title...AND for the poor post that followed it.
No need to apologise. Worthwhile subject, one many people bury their heads in the sand about. My wife volunteers for a palliative care organisation, death is a subject that we discuss sometimes, we both know each other's wishes. NZ recently passed an End of Life Choice Act, its not ideal but better than nothing. A common issue with many that die terminally ill is that they usually think they have longer to put their affairs in order than actually happens. Planning is good. You want to die on your terms, having considered how your loved ones may feel, not on someone elses' terms.

A common argument against end of life choice was about whether family members would pressure the terminally ill person into an early decision to die. Personally, I'd rather take the risk, if my kids decided I should go sooner rather than later I reckon I've only myself to blame.... my fault for bringing them up that way :)

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
One more experience I had
GF's mom. She had AITL (lymphoma) and it is rare, and almost always fatal. Local doctors said nothing we can do. Go to MD in Houston. MD in Houston said we can do some things but they are only temporary until it takes over. That particular doctor actually was in the process of transferring to a local hospital. So after the transfer, she had him do a spinal fluid deal where they take a bunch of cells out, treat them, then put them back in. They removed I think about a half million stem cells (I was there) and after she awoke, it was like nothing happened. We at catfish that night at the local restaurant. Then a number of months later she went back in to have the stem cells put back in. They put her to sleep, did the deal, and a few hours she woke up. Doc said her vitals went south twice but came right back, and said that was normal. When she awoke, her exact words to me and to her husband were "It is so beautiful".

Here's the deal. Nobody knows when or how. She ended up passing in 2020. In the 8 years of her "battle" with cancer, she was able to accomplish a lot more than most of us ever will in our lifetimes, and it was in part because she knew her time here was limited. We all think that we're gonna live 80 years+ and that would be nice but we take that for granted. We get lazy, we procrastinate, etc.