Asphalt Millings for Driveway / Parking around shed?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I had a lot of RAP (Recycled Ashphalt Pavement') put down on the 'parking lot' next door. As long as you KEEP driving over it, it keeps packed down BUT it's not 'glued' so you can 'relocate' RAP by dragging a board, gouging it,etc. Park a car on RAP and the 'middle' section of RAP will loosen up

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
We have a laydown area behind our shop at work that has been just gravel for many years. About 3 years ago we lucked into a large quantity of millings. We spread them with a skidsteer and went over them with a vibratory roller. It looks like regular asphalt in most places and has held up well even through the snow plowing, except for a few places where we didn't have sufficient thickness. I wouldn't go less than 4-6" thick.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Different name but the same stuff.
Not necessarily, if it is true crushed asphalt, then it has been through a crusher to break up larger pieces from taking up all the asphalt in a road surface. Millings are when they grind the surface off so it can be the same or different depending on what they actually did to get them.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I really don't get why people say to spray millings with diesel. IMO that actually breaks down tar/binder.

Just consider that paving companies coat the dump beds in their trucks with diesel so the asphalt doesn't stick to it. I remember doing the same using cold patch when I worked for the TWP. Also, look at parking lots where oil had been dripping. Those areas typically have very soft pavement due to the oil.

If you do a search, there is smaller US company that actually sells additive for millings to help them harden up. I don't think its diesel.

YMMV

Jhilde

Equipment
B2650
Apr 26, 2021
Saskatchewan
I use asphalt millings quite a bit at work and it works good except if you get pot holes. You can't really grade it easily once it's hardened up like you can with gravel.