Asphalt Millings for Driveway / Parking around shed?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I had a lot of RAP (Recycled Ashphalt Pavement') put down on the 'parking lot' next door. As long as you KEEP driving over it, it keeps packed down BUT it's not 'glued' so you can 'relocate' RAP by dragging a board, gouging it,etc. Park a car on RAP and the 'middle' section of RAP will loosen up

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
We have a laydown area behind our shop at work that has been just gravel for many years. About 3 years ago we lucked into a large quantity of millings. We spread them with a skidsteer and went over them with a vibratory roller. It looks like regular asphalt in most places and has held up well even through the snow plowing, except for a few places where we didn't have sufficient thickness. I wouldn't go less than 4-6" thick.

tbeckett

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Monroe Tufline Disc, Woods Bush Hog, 60" Grapple
Jun 3, 2021
Columbus, MS
Nothing says "Good Morning!" like the smell of spilled diesel and tar chips. It's also a know attractant of environmentalists. It's their pheromone.
Well since it is a pheromone, we gonna put an extra dose of Diesel Juice on!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Different name but the same stuff.
Not necessarily, if it is true crushed asphalt, then it has been through a crusher to break up larger pieces from taking up all the asphalt in a road surface. Millings are when they grind the surface off so it can be the same or different depending on what they actually did to get them.

Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I really don't get why people say to spray millings with diesel. IMO that actually breaks down tar/binder.

Just consider that paving companies coat the dump beds in their trucks with diesel so the asphalt doesn't stick to it. I remember doing the same using cold patch when I worked for the TWP. Also, look at parking lots where oil had been dripping. Those areas typically have very soft pavement due to the oil.

If you do a search, there is smaller US company that actually sells additive for millings to help them harden up. I don't think its diesel.

YMMV

Reactions: 1 user

Jhilde

Equipment
B2650
Apr 26, 2021
Saskatchewan
I use asphalt millings quite a bit at work and it works good except if you get pot holes. You can't really grade it easily once it's hardened up like you can with gravel.

kayco53

Equipment
2500dt
Mar 22, 2020
langley bc
We had the asphalt grinding (millings) in a driveway and they were great. Driving on it hot weather really made it back well.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Here in Eastern MO, we've had a sold 7"+ of rain in the 20 days or so. Some torrential downpours. As a result, my gravel drive ( which I'm planning for an upgrade ) has eroded with a 8" wide / 8" deep gully forming through it at the most sloped area.

I'll need to do some grading / water management or this will be a problem moving forward once the new gravel is installed. I was kicking this around with a couple of gravel haulers I ran into and they said " skip the gravel and use asphalt millings ". Pack it down good and let the water flow over it.

I sure like the idea vs grading and reestablishing grass as I don't see an easy way to reroute the current water flow in heavy rains. Does anyone have and experience with asphalt millings vs gravel? It's also about 1/3 the price per ton around here.
This is a great and very durable solution. There was a dirt road no man’s land where our paved county roads ands and our private gravel road starts (about 100’). Two years ago, the county topped this area with asphalt millings, leveled and packed it down. It’s still smooth and a durable hard surface after heavy snow and rain. But you need to do a good job of leveling and packing when you install, because it tends to follow the ground surface and doesn’t move. So if you install it with a dip in the road, that dip will pack in place will remain for years.

pigdoc

Equipment
G1800S L2500
Aug 19, 2022
SE Pennsylvania
Not sure if anyone mentioned this, so I will.

I have about 1500 feet of driveway on a steep slope covered with asphalt millings.
What I notice is that the areas in shade remain like plain gravel, but the areas in full sun harden up like regular pavement.

To the OP, it looks like you want to lay it down in an area that will be in full sun, so I would predict you'll be very happy with it. In terms of cost versus durability, it can't be beat.

-Paul

Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Around here some people have a company come in that will spray the ground-up asphalt with an oil/tar solution, and then they put stone chips on the top and roll it till it firms up flat. The town does the same thing on paved roads. It is called chip sealed and it does keep our roads in good condition.

Reactions: 1 users

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Around here some people have a company come in that will spray the ground-up asphalt with an oil/tar solution, and then they put stone chips on the top and roll it till it firms up flat. The town does the same thing on paved roads. It is called chip sealed and it does keep our roads in good condition.
They do the chip & seal around here as well not worth a crap.... For the 1st month it's stone chip season on the paint and windshields. After about a year all the dips and cracks come back thru the tar & stone...