Anyone use a Salt Spreader on their 3 pt ?

tsafa

Equipment
Kubota L3800, FEL, F550 Dump, 10K Trailer
Nov 3, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
I am considering buying a Fertilizer Spreader for spreading Rock Salt / Cinders in the parking lot of my business. Does anyone have experience using one of these.

This is the one I had in mind:

http://www.everythingattachments.co...er-XA500-p/lba-fertilizer-spread-xa5003pt.htm

or maybe this one:

http://www.everythingattachments.co...er-XL500-p/lba-fertilizer-spread-xl5003pt.htm

Does anyone have any experience as to how well they hold up when your run rock salt and Cinder (anti-skid) through them?

I will probably use a mix of 10 % salt and 90% cinder, since salt is so expensive.

The one from Tractor Supply does have a larger capacity for the same money... so that would be preferable if it will work.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/sto...tal-cone-for-grass-or-fertilizer?cm_vc=-10005

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Everyone uses those up here, They work great for that.
We use Magnesium Chloride and sand or fine crushed stone.

One reason to use (if available in your area) Magnesium Chloride over salt is it's easier on cars, environment, animals, and water sheds.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
IM looking for one my self, though a used one, and every dealer I have spoken to says the same thing if you can get the Polly hopper, from what Im told they don't clog up as much and wont rust away if you leave salt in them,,

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
My guess is he doesn't want the salt to eat the paint and rust out his equipment. The equipment applying the salt does take a beating too. Ever seen the ass end of a salt truck the road department uses? Its UGLY.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
I was just thinking today how I could hang one of the rear of my rear blade. It would add extra weight, add another tool to the arsenal & to do a total job without hooking up another item later. Any ideas how I can do that safely?

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Here is the 12v spreader that I modified. I changed it up a bit from the pic, put an on/off switch on it and used the work lamp accessory plug to power it. Works great too, but I can see where the salt would end up getting on the tractor. When I used it to spread grass seed I got it all over the place. You could probably rig up a piece of cardboard or something to block it from flinging all over the tractor.

Attachments

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Does anybody use one to spread road sand? Or only straight salt? Around here we use salted sand on driveways for traction and right now I do it by hand, but would like to find a 3pt spreader capably of spreading it.

Minotbob

Jun 29, 2013
Minot, ND
I bought a Herd 5.5 this fall and use it on our paved road. I get a 10% Salt/sand mix at the local gravel products. I bought it from a dealer in WI who said it was new but had been used as a Demo. It wasn't in very good shape when I got it and had to take it partially apart and clean up some rusted parts. But now it works really well. It has quite the agitator in the hopper. It's a 1" square bar with paddles welded to it and it's on a U joint. So when the sand starts to run out it bangs the side of the hopper. Makes a hell of a racket. But I can see why it's necessary as the salt/sand might not fall if it wasn't agitated aggressively. I have a BX24 and it handles a full hopper of sand just fine.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Salt will rust metal out if not taken care of. As long as you keep it washed off well after each use and and coat exposed metal with oil or new paint, there isn't much to worry about. The problem is when salt is left on for a long time.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
I was planning on buying a Herd 5.5 too. I have a brand new L3200. I would not think that much salt would get on the machine, I mean it broadcasts it away from the machine... what do you think? do you get a lot of salt on your BX? If you had to do it over would you buy the Herd again, or a different brand? I would really like to hear your input!

mike paulson

Jan 11, 2012
ulster, NY
Salt will rust metal out if not taken care of. As long as you keep it washed off well after each use and and coat exposed metal with oil or new paint, there isn't much to worry about. The problem is when salt is left on for a long time.
I wont even do salt on my private road in any form, And Im not one for hosing off my tractors or cars in -5 degree NY temps. Im forced to drive on it all winter and just hate to see what it does every time I have one of my vehicles on a lift. Salt is probably the most destructive thing a motor veh has to contend with up here in the northeast. Ive seen way too many good running vehicles, including equipment that were doomed to salt corrosion that otherwise would have lasted much longer. True there is nothing as effective as salt for ice but I prefer sand for anything my tractor will be driving over, but that's just me, I get alittle crazy when I see things on my tractor corroding.:D

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
Oh I understand that, I am a mechanic here in mid coast Maine. I see it every day. We prob do a few sets of brake lines a week. Last week I had a 2006 chevy half ton on the lift that needed spring shackles and hangers. I hate to do that to my tractor. I do live up the side of a mountain so its a tough situation. The ice storm we had 2 weeks ago made is so you could not get in or out. You could not even walk down the road with out snow shoes with spikes on the bottom. that is the only reason I am considering it. I am having it sanded now, but it is 140 bucks a wack to have it done. this year it is adding up fast...

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Well your choices are straight sand plus some dynamite to break it apart after it freezes solid or enough salt mixed in the sand to keep it freezing. Undercoating will help keep vehicles of any kind from rusting out as fast. I live in New Hampshire and that is what people do to preserve their vehicles.

Minotbob

Jun 29, 2013
Minot, ND
I don't get any sand/salt on my BX. The position on the rotation that the sand drops broadcasts it so none is left on the broadcast fins as it completes a rotation.

I think the Herd's, at least mine, is built very well. I have heard that there are some quality problems with the newer ones. You should do some customer satisfaction survey before you buy. While mine was "new" it had been used and the dump gate was rusted and wouldn't move. It was no problem to take it apart and clean up. I have thought about taking it somewhere and have it media blasted and powder coated.

Last edited: