Anyone made their own PTO Pressure Washer?

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
Guessing you’ll need some speed increase to make the pump spin at the right speed.
My concern would be that after sourcing everything to make it work right, you may just be better off with a stand alone? Toss it on a trailer with a water tank (IBC tote?) and you’ll be off to the races.

Reactions: 1 user

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
Guessing you’ll need some speed increase to make the pump spin at the right speed.
My concern would be that after sourcing everything to make it work right, you may just be better off with a stand alone? Toss it on a trailer with a water tank (IBC tote?) and you’ll be off to the races.
I would rarely use it so I was looking to spend as little as possible and not have another motor to maintain. I was thinking of something like a 55gallon drum and pump on a carryall type thing with castors. Maybe use it to fertilize as well.

Something like this but with a drum or tank to draw from. Maybe just fill the bucket up with water and make a lid for it?
1696615151314.png

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
What Chad said.

Pressure washers are so cheap, you'd likely be upsidedown by the time you designed & built a PTO powered one.

If you're out in the "back 40", you probably wouldn't have access to an endless supply of water anyways.(and what would you be pressure washing "way out there" ? lol

What is the intended use? To wash cars?
You'll most likely be close to a driveway and/or building using a pressure washer so will have good access to 120VAC and/or running water from a nearby garden hose.

If I've missed the mark, please put me on target. Your ask was a little vague as to useage.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I bought a used 1500 PSI with 4 hp engine off of FB for $35. Used it for a couple of years until the pump gave out. Bought a replacement pump for $70 and been using it for the last three years. Small, easy to load, easy to start, does a good job at cleaning. My wife uses it over the bigger one just because it's less trouble for what it does.

Last edited:

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Is this thread, cue for telling my hydrolocked pressure washer story?

No🤫

MAArcher

Equipment
Kubota B8200
Oct 6, 2022
New England
Sure, there's cheap 1,500 psi machines at a couple gallons per minute. Then there's 4k psi machines at six gallons per minute. Apples and oranges. I was just thinking you might be able to save the cost of a motor by rigging up one for the PTO and end up with a more powerful washer. Probably just daydreaming though, I have too many projects.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Sure, there's cheap 1,500 psi machines at a couple gallons per minute. Then there's 4k psi machines at six gallons per minute. Apples and oranges. I was just thinking you might be able to save the cost of a motor by rigging up one for the PTO and end up with a more powerful washer. Probably just daydreaming though, I have too many projects.
I've thought about doing one, I just haven't thought too much about it. I have a decent gas powered unit.

I've also thought about a PTO driven trash pump to drop in the creek going through my property.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
We did the PW and tote at work once. IIRC, we needed a small pump ahead of the PW to provide more than gravity pressure on the supply side.

Last edited:

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
my vote is gas powered pressure washer and ibc tote if your away from easy water access. Personally, I’d rather not have to start and run my tractor every time I want to use the pressure washer. Probably cost you more to build unless you had most the parts on hand already. I can’t imagine you save money by building a Pto driven one. I sure wouldn’t invest much into trying to run a small 1500psi one through the pto.

Dustyx2

Equipment
BX22, M7060, Landpride RC-2512, Woodmax SB84
Feb 19, 2021
NE Wyoming
Dirt Perfect (you tuber) has one he made. Repurposed a pump from a car wash he demoed, an aluminum truck fuel tank for water, misc. pillow block bearings, pulley arrangement for speed increasing, all stuff he had laying around. Going to be a pretty expensive project if you have to buy all new components, but his works very well.