Anyone have tips on removing a loaded rear R1 on a Grand L?

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
If there is any concern for your safety or to pick it up if you drop it, I’d check with a local tire service that do work for farmers.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Any practical tips for removing a loaded rear wheel off a L4760 with R1 tires?

Im concerned the tread lugs will make the rolling of it out of the way be very wobbly and prone to falling.
Smooth concrete floor and a shop crane.

Dan

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
If a concrete floor is available I'd fabricate a tire dolly that could be used with a floor jack to lower or raise the tire into position.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
raise tractor up for just 1 INCH of clearance,put 1/2" plywood underneath
back off the bolts/nuts and 'free' the rim from the hub.Be SURE it's loose BEFORE removing the bolts/nuts !
have TWO strong guys help keep tire VERTICAL(everyone 'disappeared' when I had to do this.....hmmm
CLEAR the area around of hazards
IF the tire wants to fall, LET IT
when off, SLOWLY roll 'one lug at a time', keeping it vertical
SLOWLY ! you don't want the water inside getting ahead of you.......

Reactions: 2 users

fishpick

Equipment
BX24 & L4760HSTC
Dec 16, 2017
The High Taxes part of lovely NY, USA
I have a concrete floor. Would not consider doing elsewhere. I think the goal will be to get it off, roll it about 3’ and “lean” it against a lift post.
not sure that wheel dolly is gonna work for an R1 of the size that this tractor has. The 2610 is considerably smaller.

GBJeffOH

Equipment
L4060, EA Grapple, 6' LP Brush Hog, 8' snow plow, 6' LP tiller, EA Forks, Spraye
Nov 17, 2014
Jefferson, Ohio

Im concerned the tread lugs will make the rolling of it out of the way be very wobbly and prone to falling.
A second tractor with forks.

Reactions: 1 user

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I use
P9130009.JPG
d a pallet jack when I installed my wheel spacers, worked like a charm.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

Ideally you will have skid steer, tractor/FEL, and or help, but it can be done without any such.

I've removed and moved loaded 15.5X38 tires while working alone in a dirt-floored barn but one must be very careful. Simply keep tire/wheel nearly vertical and do not try to stop things should it start to fall. Be certain to have adequate escape room in all directions. Tread lugs are of little concern.

Should you decide to tackle it yourself, suggest having someone else nearby to arrange for help should something go badly wrong.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
the best tip of all;

pay someone to do it for you.

I did tractor repair for 30 years. in those 30 years one thing that stuck out at me was when a tractor shows up needing repair and you didn't know the rear tires are loaded. yeah sure, loosen the lug bolts and nuts, then just pull it off right? Yup...then you find out that your normally 350lb tire/wheel assembly is 1200 lbs. Each side. I used to get the new hires (usually the young'ns) to take it off for me as we didn't have any real tooling to speak of. later on they bought some of those fork-over-leg electric (12v) electric pallet stackers and those things are awesome for pulling tires. Wheel it under the tire, either lift the forks or drop the tractor to it, then remove. Roll the whole thing to where you're going and hope there's no zip ties on the floor because even though those pallet stackers will pick up 2200 lbs, they will stop in their tracks when they encounter a zip tie.

one thing worth noting. if you raise the rear of the tractor with the drawbar frame like most folks do, when you remove ONE rear tire (loaded or not but if they're loaded it's even worse), the entire tractor will flop over to the other side. I've seen them fall off the jack because of this. If you have a loader, put the bucket down squarely on the ground before raising the back end and removing a tire. The bucket helps stabilize the whole tractor. That or use jack stands, but the loader bucket works just fine.

Because of all of the "little" things that you have to do when using loaded tires, I typically tried to advise folks not to load them unless absolutely necessary.

We had one tech that went to remove a tire not knowing it was loaded, bigger M series, and it fell on him--broke 2 ribs and lots of bruises. I had to pick the tire up off of him with a fork lift when the medics got there. Wasn't any fun. They can be dangerous so be mindful when "playing' with em.

Reactions: 3 users

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma

For that size tire (not very big as tractor tires go), air pressure should normally be down around 15 psi. If so it will roll smoothly - you won't really notice the tread lugs. Best to handle it alone so you can sense its balance. Work it away from the studs and roll it to where it can lean against something.

Last edited:

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
If you don't feel comfortable doing it, get some a company to do it for you. I am sure they would be cheaper than the medical bills, if something goes wrong.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Not sure about your area, but I can have the service truck come out and service a 16.9x38 tire for $150 plus tires or tubes if needed. The headache and chance of injury is easily worth the cost to me.

Reactions: 2 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Not sure about your area, but I can have the service truck come out and service a 16.9x38 tire for $150 plus tires or tubes if needed. The headache and chance of injury is easily worth the cost to me.
I am nearly 82, and would not hesitate to do the job.
I would obviously use my other tractor with forks.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I could be mistaken but I dont think this is just tire service. I think the OP may need hours (days?) between dismount and remount and possibly both sides which changes the calculus.

Dan

fishpick

Equipment
BX24 & L4760HSTC
Dec 16, 2017
The High Taxes part of lovely NY, USA
Thanks for the tips and advice. I’m not concerned doing the work. More respectful of the weight and asking for tips to folks who have done this before.

It’s also not something a remote changer is gonna work for because it’s gotta come off to access the panel in the wheel-well for installing rear remotes. So I’m not paying someone to come out 2x. At that point might as well have the dealer do it.

I kinda like that pallet jack trick!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
the best tip of all;

pay someone to do it for you.

I did tractor repair for 30 years. in those 30 years one thing that stuck out at me was when a tractor shows up needing repair and you didn't know the rear tires are loaded. yeah sure, loosen the lug bolts and nuts, then just pull it off right? Yup...then you find out that your normally 350lb tire/wheel assembly is 1200 lbs. Each side. I used to get the new hires (usually the young'ns) to take it off for me as we didn't have any real tooling to speak of. later on they bought some of those fork-over-leg electric (12v) electric pallet stackers and those things are awesome for pulling tires. Wheel it under the tire, either lift the forks or drop the tractor to it, then remove. Roll the whole thing to where you're going and hope there's no zip ties on the floor because even though those pallet stackers will pick up 2200 lbs, they will stop in their tracks when they encounter a zip tie.

one thing worth noting. if you raise the rear of the tractor with the drawbar frame like most folks do, when you remove ONE rear tire (loaded or not but if they're loaded it's even worse), the entire tractor will flop over to the other side. I've seen them fall off the jack because of this. If you have a loader, put the bucket down squarely on the ground before raising the back end and removing a tire. The bucket helps stabilize the whole tractor. That or use jack stands, but the loader bucket works just fine.

Because of all of the "little" things that you have to do when using loaded tires, I typically tried to advise folks not to load them unless absolutely necessary.

We had one tech that went to remove a tire not knowing it was loaded, bigger M series, and it fell on him--broke 2 ribs and lots of bruises. I had to pick the tire up off of him with a fork lift when the medics got there. Wasn't any fun. They can be dangerous so be mindful when "playing' with em.
Agreed, regarding advise against liquid ballast.

I do not use liquid ballast and this is only one of the reasons.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You may be able to use a come-a-long rigged to the rafters to lay the wheel back away from the tractor and then drag it a couple of feet away to do the work. Then drag it back into place and stand it up with the overhead lifting.
Brace the rafters with vertical support as needed