Anyone else get excited about snow?

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
We only got another couple of inches, maybe three inches over night. Went out at about 10AM and cleaned out all the usual driveways. Then around 1PM a friend that lived next to my father, just 1/4 down the road, called and aked if I could clean out his drive as his walk behind blower was out of commission. So I went down around 4PM and cleaned out his drive.

It's not a Kubota, but since I bought my BX, this is my snow removal machine. I had all the metal panels and seat pan on the tractor, and all the pieces of the blower blasted and powder coated two years ago. I also fabbed a new mount for the blower, as the one that was on it was a cobbled up mess that had the drive shaft running at a bad angle when it was raised and wore out joints ever few years. The parallelogram mount works great and the drive shaft is happy now.

View attachment 74442
I hate to break it to you, but that's not an Orange tractor. :D

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
I’m just across the state line from you in Niles. Go michiana!
About once a month, I wonder up to Rural King and look around to see what's new. They have a pretty good selection of stuff, and I can still get the Wrangler jeans that I like there.

Reactions: 1 user

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
Not excitement, but I do enjoy my cab time and don't get much use out of the tractor in winter other than plowing. So far only about 3" of snow over a couple of inches of slop but it is coming down steadily and predicting 6-12 inches more... we'll see. Pic from a few winters back

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Cleared the drive again with my BX2200 FEL. Now that it is frozen it is a lot easier since it is a gravel drive/parking area. Snow has passed and the sun is out.
IMG_5601.JPG
IMG_5603.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
My 13 yr old wanted to ride the 4 wheeler, but the snow was too deep for it. So he is using the BX to move the snow and make an oval track for it. Hours of entertainment.

IMG_5605.JPG

IMG_5611.JPG

Newaterman

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, Z422-54KW
Feb 14, 2021
Vermont
The mrs said we got around 18” last night, all I got was a 10’ sea out of the south with a wind driven 2-3’ chop out of the NW in block island sound. A total ass kicking on this little 78’ tugboat. Certainly jealous of the giant piles of snow she got to make, though she fully admitted I’ll need to move them around soke
When I get home in preparation for the next storm.

552B26BF-EC7D-43D6-A06F-10920B960DA0.jpeg

Reactions: 4 users

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Took time yesterday with the re-freeze to move some snow with the little dumper. I sure like how you can pile it up compared to dirt. Nice to not tarp since I’m in a subdivision and dumping down the block. Gotta get me an air ride seat though, back was hurting last night.

99E0CAE5-C78E-4794-8D77-5AC328F9621E.jpeg 5E70909D-6312-4D53-BBEF-BB3F5C8D68C1.jpeg 255C7968-FC6E-4CCB-B122-66FEC4AA0928.jpeg

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
As I get older I like snow less and less. I haven't had to plow snow yet this winter. Only swept the walk and back steps off a couple of times. The snow just keeps missing us. I hope the rain this spring doesn't do the same. We are very dry in my area.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
I’ve lived in Minnesota my entire life. I haven’t alway gotten excited about snow till three winters ago when my wife said “ wouldn’t it be nice if you had a tractor with a cab and a front snowblower to blow snow”. Just got out of the cab after about 6 hours of blowing and pushing snow. This time of year it’s the most fun I can have sitting down😉. It also gives me time in the woods as I keep over a mile of trails open so my wife has somewhere to walk our dog. Last year I never even put gas in our walk behind blower, this year it’s been used once to blow a path to the propane tank. So yea, I look forward to hearing the weather forecast predicting a significant amount of snow. ☃

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
I’ve lived in Minnesota my entire life. I haven’t alway gotten excited about snow till three winters ago when my wife said “ wouldn’t it be nice if you had a tractor with a cab and a front snowblower to blow snow”. Just got out of the cab after about 6 hours of blowing and pushing snow. This time of year it’s the most fun I can have sitting down😉. It also gives me time in the woods as I keep over a mile of trails open so my wife has somewhere to walk our dog. Last year I never even put gas in our walk behind blower, this year it’s been used once to blow a path to the propane tank. So yea, I look forward to hearing the weather forecast predicting a significant amount of snow. ☃
Funny. I just talked about this with my wife. We don’t get a ton of snow where I am. It is plenty cold, but only get heavy snow a few times a year. I told her that I completely understand people in high snowfall areas that invest in cabs and heaters. For my situation I bundle up and invest in a ski mask, goggles and hand warmers.

One Thing that I have learned from my many years of working on stuff (hvac/electrical/plumbing/carpentry/vehicle mechanics) is that it is very important to have the right tool for the job. I can nail in a nail with a pipe wrench, but it isn’t fun.

I moved to a new house a couple years ago and replaced the manifold studs on my Excursion in my gravel drive. After that, I told the wife that if she want me to keep working on stuff and making the house pretty for her the next investment needs To be a large barn.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 47704

The mrs said we got around 18” last night, all I got was a 10’ sea out of the south with a wind driven 2-3’ chop out of the NW in block island sound. A total ass kicking on this little 78’ tugboat. Certainly jealous of the giant piles of snow she got to make, though she fully admitted I’ll need to move them around soke
When I get home in preparation for the next storm.
What are you doing out there?

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
On one of my summer motorcycle rides I took a detour to visit friends at Copper Harbor on the UP. I still remember passing a 'measuring stick' of snow depth used during the winter. iirc the highest mark was 22'
Thanks. With the FEL I found it helps to keep up with it so not too much snow builds up. If I let it get too deep the tractor/FEL combo can only move a certain amount of snow each pass.
just curiou, how long did that take with the BX and the loader, looks good.

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
On one of my summer motorcycle rides I took a detour to visit friends at Copper Harbor on the UP. I still remember passing a 'measuring stick' of snow depth used during the winter. iirc the highest mark was 22'
Winter of 78-79, 390” of snow up there. I don’t think we will ever see that again.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
just curiou, how long did that take with the BX and the loader, looks good.
I wasn’t really paying attention, but not too long. Best guess, To do just the parking areas shown in the pics I would say probably about 45 minutes. I also would do the road in front of my property and our back patio, so that would add about 30 more minutes.

The road was the easiest since I could just float the loader and go.

Last edited:

Newaterman

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC, Z422-54KW
Feb 14, 2021
Vermont
What are you doing out there?
moving one barge south to New York to wrap up the dredging project that just wouldn’t end, then racing south after getting fuel to pick up the next barge to make a high water berth at a sand dock in New Jersey. The weather ended up being worse than forecast when it came to sea state, not unusual for that stretch of water. However if I waited longer for the northwind to knock down that southerly swell I wouldn’t have been able to safely get into the East end of the cape cod canal for a day or so.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I admit I did not read this thread...ONLY because what I get EXCITED about is sunny days and warm temps that melt the snow!

I remember when I first got my tractor and I was so worried that my neighbor who would use his snow blower on my driveway, might beat me out, and clear my driveway before I could use MY new tractor!

Days long gone now, as is the neighbor...I now own his property and take care of it...but kinda wish he were here now to beat me outside! :ROFLMAO: