Any info on possible grey machine

Juhl

Sep 15, 2017
Bremen OH
Im looking at (what I was told) a L3250. There is absolutely no body or sheet metal on this machine. Just a seat and dash. No steps, fenders, hood or anything orange. I tried to find a serial number and wrote down a few numbers on the castings. Engine is 1732cc and I found castings on the left side of the clutch housing under some linkage that said: L1 (then a weird circular symbol) 28 DC. After some research I am assuming this is a grey market?? If so, what would the American equivalent be? L2850 ? Thats the only one that looks close to this tractor with a 1.7 engine.
Thanks for any info as Im new to Kubota (and grey market machines lol)

Juhl

Sep 15, 2017
Bremen OH
I found a few pics of some salvage machine that were missing part of the sheet metal. Although I should have grabbed some pics while I was looking at the machine, I wasnt expecting to so much research on this assumed Grey tractor. Its pretty close to the 2850. I read the list of Grey tractors but havent ran across a "conversion to American model number" page.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What happened to the sheet metal? Kind of odd, no sheet metal and a luxury seat!

What transmission does it have? Looks like a GST.

Just looking at the pictures it has a very similar layout to the L3250 I just parted with. Alternator, regulator, air box, air intake all look identical. So it may very well be an L2850.

Does it run? What's the history? Finding the sheet metal for a complete tractor could cost as much as the tractor is worth!

Juhl

Sep 15, 2017
Bremen OH
What happened to the sheet metal? Kind of odd, no sheet metal and a luxury seat!

What transmission does it have? Looks like a GST.

Just looking at the pictures it has a very similar layout to the L3250 I just parted with. Alternator, regulator, air box, air intake all look identical. So it may very well be an L2850.

Does it run? What's the history? Finding the sheet metal for a complete tractor could cost as much as the tractor is worth!
4 speed Hi and Low with shuttle? forward and reverse. The seller has been feeding me crap and everything he told me seems to be only half true or complete BS. No idea on sheet metal. he said he bought it at an estate sale. It runs and drives but water pump it leaking, alt light and coolant light stay on and need rear tires. Guessing it sat outside its whole life as all plastic and wiring harness plugs are ate up and brittle. Now that I think about it, I believe the PTO shaft was running counterclockwise. No Idea how to remedy that problem.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
4 speed Hi and Low with shuttle? forward and reverse. The seller has been feeding me crap and everything he told me seems to be only half true or complete BS. No idea on sheet metal. he said he bought it at an estate sale. It runs and drives but water pump it leaking, alt light and coolant light stay on and need rear tires. Guessing it sat outside its whole life as all plastic and wiring harness plugs are ate up and brittle. Now that I think about it, I believe the PTO shaft was running counterclockwise. No Idea how to remedy that problem.
What is the price on this machine?
It would need to be a steal to move forward on it!
As mentioned, finding the metal for it would be .....almost impossible.
If you can run it around naked - then you need to offer him a few C-notes, or walk away:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's most likely not a grey market tractor, most likely a L2850.
and the PTO will spin the same ass all the rest it will not be a reverse rotation PTO, that only happened on the B6000's.

Look on the middle of the right hand side around where your heal would sit for the serial #, it will be stamped not cast.
The other serial # will be on the motor just to the side of the injection pump on the top flat of block.

Regardless if it's a Grey or not, it's not worth a whole lot as it's missing the entire body, and the body protects the operator (there isn't even the floor boards), and all the equipment from sun and weather.
Buying a tractor like that would really only be of a great benefit if you had another that had bad mechanical parts and need a donor Engine/Transmission/Rear end.

Juhl

Sep 15, 2017
Bremen OH
It's most likely not a grey market tractor, most likely a L2850.
and the PTO will spin the same ass all the rest it will not be a reverse rotation PTO, that only happened on the B6000's.

Look on the middle of the right hand side around where your heal would sit for the serial #, it will be stamped not cast.
The other serial # will be on the motor just to the side of the injection pump on the top flat of block.

Regardless if it's a Grey or not, it's not worth a whole lot as it's missing the entire body, and the body protects the operator (there isn't even the floor boards), and all the equipment from sun and weather.
Buying a tractor like that would really only be of a great benefit if you had another that had bad mechanical parts and need a donor Engine/Transmission/Rear end.
I havent paid or taken delivery, but $3K was the agreed price. Opinions?? Too much?

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Sounds like too much to me. That might be too much if it ran like a top & was missing all the body panels, but missing all the panels AND obvious mechanical problems, no way I'd pay anywhere near that. But that's just me.

Juhl

Sep 15, 2017
Bremen OH
Well, I got the whole story with this machine by dumb luck. I was discussing this tractor at work and a younger guy started asking me questions about it. I described it in detail and showed him some pics of it. It was on his parents (his late father was the local High School Ag teacher). This was donated to Ohio State University Ag department as just a chassis with special jack stands. It was used for tear down and re-assembly. My co-workers Dad purchased it 15+ years ago, found rims and tires and searched for sheet metal for a long time. They used it a few times and put $1200 in the transmission. After his Dad passed, his Mom took it to a local auction place and the current owner bought it for $1000.
I passed on the purchase mainly because it was popping out of forward gear. I couldnt tell if it was a linkage problem or transmission problem......so now its someone else's problem.
Greatly appreciate all the help and advice from you guys!