Any brand service

arm

Equipment
b3030
Apr 20, 2018
Iowa
Morning. On my first tractor purchase I leaned towards a make that had a dealer and service dept right down the road. I have never used them or anyone. Looking to upgrade and I'm not sure if having a service dept near by is THAT big of a deal.

Question. Do service dept readily service makes that they don't have right there on the lot? So...will a jd or mahindra shop service my Kubota? Imagine they would...but would the quality and available parts be a problem?

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
The only answer is, some do some don't. It would be good to ask the dealer. If you will only need service, oil change etc., any of them can do that if they will. As for parts and repair, the brand dealer is always going to be better and less costly. My thought is if you live next door to a Mahindra dealer, drive to the Kubota dealer. Some Kubota dealers are better than others but Kubota machines are uniformly better than the competition.

arm

Equipment
b3030
Apr 20, 2018
Iowa
That helps. I do all of my routine service. If I needed someone...i fear it would be catastrophic lol. And having them near by would be a huge win based on parts and knowledge and cost. Thank you very much for your reply

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
If you keep the machine properly serviced, the need for dealer repair should be one of your least concerns. I have a bunch of Kubota equipment in rental service. I repair them often but not because it broke. It's almost always because some renter broke it. In 27 years, I have had maybe 5 repairs done because something turned loose. One new L-35 had a valve spring keeper turn loose and dropped a valve at 27 hours. Kubota replaced the engine and I used the machine trouble free for 5 more years. It happens but not often.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Used to run into this same question when I worked for ford.
Simple answer is most dealers have the capabilities to work on other makes, but most don't want to.

Scenario #1 goes like this:
You take your Kubota to the JD dealer down the road for fixing problem XYZ, the JD dealership has not seen or ever worked on it, so they stab at it with a blind eye and try and fix it, and maybe even get lucky and fix, then you get the bill, $1200 for diagnosing the problem which took them 10 hours and $120 for the part. Where The kubota dealer down the road has seen 40 of the XYZ issues and it's a simple 2 min fix with a $20 part, that Kubota Corp will even pick up the tab for because that issues should not have happened.
Makes the JD look bad!

Scenario #2 goes like this:
You just need a simple fluid and filter change, you go to the Mahindra dealer down the road and they do there normal service to your tractor, you pick it up take it home start working with it and BAM something cut loose, you load it up haul it back to the Mahindra dealer and he says sorry we only do fluid changes on your tractor, so you haul it to the Kubota dealer down the road, he say sure we'll check it out, you get a call back the next morning that you've got to buy a $8400 HST and parts because it's blown and $5500 in labor to repair, you say well it's under warranty right, then the Kubota dealer gives you the death blow, well it would have been but when you had it serviced they used a cheap non Kubota filter that failed and that let the non compatible Hydraulic fluid that had foamed and broke down run through the system, and destroyed everything in it's path! :eek:

Do you want to deal with either of these or any other version of these scenarios? I would think not! ;)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
What North Idaho Wolfman said.

I bought a Deutz from a BobCat skidsteer dealer. A dairy farmer traded in the tractor for a skidsteer. Clutch wasn't working right when it was traded in and the BC techs were having a tough time getting the two stage clutch figured out.

I knew the manager and bought the tractor through him after his shop had done their work.

I did not even attempt to use the PTO for a couple of years. I only used the tractor to pull a hay rake and feed hay in the winter. When I went to use the PTO the clutch would not allow any engagement. I could stop the engine, shift and then start it and use the PTO.

I split the tractor in two, and with the help of a well known Deutz mechanic discovered the Bobcat techs left a spacer off of the throw out bearing which was required to get the second stage to release.

I'm satisfied the Bobcat guys just were not familiar with Deutz products to even know the spacer belonged there. They probably removed it and with all the difficulties they had it was overlooked upon reassembly.

I would only take a tractor to a representative of that brand for repair. Save the grief and a bunch of time and money.