85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Nope - not a concern at all

I have used lucas for a long time - been using Amsoil grease and now back to Lucas Red&Tacky .....

Reactions: 1 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I use Kubota’s grease but as you can see it’s awful loose and makes a mess around the zerks. After 110 hours on the tractor I took the time to go after the excess.

056D275E-C28D-4A47-B804-A18518745557.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
You will get many opinions on which is best and what people use. I used the Lucas red & tacky for years then started using the Amsoil Synthetic Polymeric grease.

The Amsoil runs me about $9.00 a tube when I buy a case of 10. An Amsoil rep attends a local expo I go to each year and I buy it there from him so no shipping.

The red n tacky run me about $5.00 a tube and I have to travel to Walmart 30 minutes away to get it. Not a fan of Walmart and try to avoid it.

Is the Amsoil better? I cannot prove that but I can say it stays in place very well. The red n tacky I used for years seemed to squeeze out much more.

Again I'm not saying the Amsoil is the end all b all but I like it and will stick with it for all my equipment.

JLS

Equipment
L3901
Jan 2, 2021
Iowa
I recently watched a comparison done by Project Farm between Super Tech (Walmart general purpose) and Red "N" Tacky.

I have a lot of basic general purpose grease around, but I'm going to get some of the better grease for my new baby after watching this :)

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I recently watched a comparison done by Project Farm between Super Tech (Walmart general purpose) and Red "N" Tacky.

I have a lot of basic general purpose grease around, but I'm going to get some of the better grease for my new baby after watching this :)

I watch a lot of his videos - guy does a great job of trying to be fair in all of his tests.
Sometimes it is comical to see what is written on the box vs what is real in the test!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
While “Project Farm” makes some (usually minor) errors in his testing... he largely does a great job, certainly more valid comparisons than the typical answer you get online when you ask for a specification and get answers that begin “What I use is Blah-Blah-Blah”....as if THAT were somehow a technically descriptive answer...or even a good and appropriate product.

It may be helpful to remember that specifications published by mfr’s are usually a Minimum spec... not necessarily the best one available. NLGI-2 is probably the most-common minimum-spec for greases, and the most common type is lithium- based. If you purchase and use regularly at the service-intervals recommended by the equipt-mfr’r... then you’ll meet the mfr’s service requirements, and you’ll meet any warranty-requirements related to that matter.
However, if you can find a product that meets that minimum and exceeds the minimum and use it at the recommended service interval your equipment might..... might.... experience less wear-and-tear than it might otherwise.
But it’s a subjective and likely undeterminable result because you’ll have no scientific “control” group for comparison.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You will get many opinions on which is best and what people use. I used the Lucas red & tacky for years then started using the Amsoil Synthetic Polymeric grease.

The Amsoil runs me about $9.00 a tube when I buy a case of 10. An Amsoil rep attends a local expo I go to each year and I buy it there from him so no shipping.

The red n tacky run me about $5.00 a tube and I have to travel to Walmart 30 minutes away to get it. Not a fan of Walmart and try to avoid it.

Is the Amsoil better? I cannot prove that but I can say it stays in place very well. The red n tacky I used for years seemed to squeeze out much more.

Again I'm not saying the Amsoil is the end all b all but I like it and will stick with it for all my equipment.

If you ever get a chance to see a bearing wear/scar test take the time to watch it. I went to a demo put on by a Schaeffer's rep. Red&Tacky was one of the brands of grease he used against his brand. It didn't perform well at all. I took one of my tubes of Amsoil grease and got him to put it up against his. I will say they were equal because neither had any wear at the end of the test. Only thing he said to me was Amsoil has good grease and walked off.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If you ever get a chance to see a bearing wear/scar test take the time to watch it. I went to a demo put on by a Schaeffer's rep. Red&Tacky was one of the brands of grease he used against his brand. It didn't perform well at all. I took one of my tubes of Amsoil grease and got him to put it up against his. I will say they were equal because neither had any wear at the end of the test. Only thing he said to me was Amsoil has good grease and walked off.
That sort of info make me suspicious of bearing wear/scar tests.... I wonder if they’re capable of being manipulated... perhaps with the weight or the comparison of an inappropriate opposing-product.... ?? Project Farm DID use a wear/scar machine and the Red&Tacky performed very well against the other products...all of which were lithium NLGI-2 greases......maybe not Schaeffer however as he did not include that in the test...
The Schaeffer demo you watched : In-comparison with R&T....What specific Schaeffer grease was used for the comparison? THAT alone could make a difference if, for example, it was a Moly grease being compared to R&T lithium.

A good example of how a MIS-comparison might be made in a deceptive manner would be if Moly were compared against common lithium grease. Read THIS short explanation from an equipment mfr’r not a grease marketer: https://www.graco.com/us/en/vehicle...oly-grease-vs-lithium-whats-the-big-deal.html

Last edited:

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx
Bulldog, what would your recommend from the Amsoil grease products for the following:
1. FEL
2. General lube
3. Pto U-joints
4. Scag zero turn blade spindles
Thanks in advance for your time and help!!

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
If you google the bearing scar test you will find it is easily manipulated and that's why grease salespeople use it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Bulldog, what would your recommend from the Amsoil grease products for the following:
1. FEL
2. General lube
3. Pto U-joints

Not to speak for Bulldog - he and I are both Amsoil users ..... but I use the "yellow" with red cap grease

http://synthetic-oil-inc.com/synthetic-grease

1610560787477.png

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Ok, I know grease is grease, but since I'm new I'll ask.

The back mentions "exceeds expectations of deere, massey, etc." But does not mention Kubota.

Anything I should be concerned about?
Lucas X-Tra HD is all I use for everything. Bought a 10-pack on amazon for about 20% better price than canadian tire.

Specs indicate it's shear-stable compatible with almost all other grease types. But after a few rounds of greasing that's moot anyway.

It's been lasting very well and not sagging when hot, yet flows in cold, won't wash out (clings on even with pressure washing), and never completely slings off high-speed mid-pto shaft U-joints, and they're still tight as new.

470 tractor hours using it as per maintenance schedules. -30C to +35C conditions. All joints & bearings still solid.

So yes, use it. Good grease!

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That sort of info make me suspicious of bearing wear/scar tests.... I wonder if they’re capable of being manipulated... perhaps with the weight or the comparison of an inappropriate opposing-product.... ?? Project Farm DID use a wear/scar machine and the Red&Tacky performed very well against the other products...all of which were lithium NLGI-2 greases......maybe not Schaeffer however as he did not include that in the test...
The Schaeffer demo you watched : In-comparison with R&T....What specific Schaeffer grease was used for the comparison? THAT alone could make a difference if, for example, it was a Moly grease being compared to R&T lithium.

A good example of how a MIS-comparison might be made in a deceptive manner would be if Moly were compared against common lithium grease. Read THIS short explanation from an equipment mfr’r not a grease marketer: https://www.graco.com/us/en/vehicle...oly-grease-vs-lithium-whats-the-big-deal.html
It was actually a good test as far as equal weight goes. His machine had a single weight that was added to each test he did. So that was equal on each product.

I don't know the Schaeffer's number but it was their best grade of moly grease. That in itself may not be fair to R&T but to me it's not high quality grease to begin with. It falls into the better than nothing category IMO.

Last edited:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
1. FEL
2. General lube
3. Pto U-joints
Wendol, I use the Amsoil polymeric off-road grease for everything you have listed. I have been using Amsoil moly grease for over 20 years and have never had a lubrication related failure. I also keep some of their multi purpose grease for wheel bearings.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy

Thanks for posting!

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
Locally it's impossible to find Lucas grease lately! No idea what the issue is, but everyone is blaming COVID