Do You Buy Your Grease From Your Kubota Dealer ?

TheKubotaKing

Equipment
Kubota BX2380, with standard front loader, and LandPride rear blade ( 60 inch )
Nov 2, 2020
United States
Hi everyone,
Do you use grease from your Kubota dealer ? or do you just order off of Amazon, and are all greases really the same in the end ? as long as they are the same "type" of grease. My dealer is far from me, so this is why I'm asking. Buying off of Amazon means waiting a day or 2 and it's delivered to my door. If everyone suggests buying from the dealer to ensure the correct / proper grease, then I will take the time, do the drive and buy several tubes to make sure I've got enough. Thanks for your time ! I appreciate all the help I've been getting. :)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
There’s several threads here on grease. I thought I understood it, but really didn’t.

One takeaway I got is any type of good grease is better than not using it.

Also, it appeared to me that most guys don’t necessarily abide by a Kubota branded product, but many did have a favorite type/brand for different applications (e.g., loader pins vs. bearings).

I use Lucas Red ‘n Tacky, but mostly because it’s convenient to get and supposedly a good product.

Reactions: 1 user

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I buy mine from Messick's since it is easier than going to the local dealer, particularly with Covid. Here is a good video by Neil Messick on types of grease:

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Myself, I use only one grease for everything and it's a synthetic high temp grease and it's very tacky plus it approved food grade for applications involving harvesting food products. It's not cheap but then nothing quality is today.

Whatever you do, stay away from cheap, clay based grease as it will harden in your grease fittings and clog them up plus it's hard to remove the excess from various components where it has oozed out and collected dirt.

I never order mine online, I get mine from my local jobber where I buy 90% of my grease and oil products. TSC has a good selection of cheap to expensive greases. Amsoil has good stuff too. I use Lubrication Engineers grease but again, personal choice. I use what works for my farming applications.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I have been buying grease from my dealer. I buy the Kubota Moly grease for the loader and backhoe and the Lucas Red n Tacky for my other stuff. Their prices are pretty good, or else I would buy elsewhere.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
No, I never bought grease from a 'bota dealer. I got my supply online and delivered to my door by Amazon. It's relatively expensive grease, supposed to be one of the best, and is compatible with other greases. I use Lucas Oil X-TRA Heavy Duty Grease 14.5 Ounce box of 10 for $2 per tube cheaper than one at a time at Canadian Tire.

TheKubotaKing

Equipment
Kubota BX2380, with standard front loader, and LandPride rear blade ( 60 inch )
Nov 2, 2020
United States
Wow ! so many great responses ! I appreciate every one of them ! Thanks so much ! :)

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I buy mine at Coleman Equipment because it's so convenient.:)

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I bought a case of general purpose lithium and another case of Moly for the loader from TSC when it was on-sale.
I will not buy their GP grease again when it’s gone....not because it isn’t sufficiently good grease (it meets the specs but is not the best-performing available in the sense that it will separate-out the oil from the soap more than the one I intend to replace it with...Lucas Red N Tacky, which has a very good demo on youtube that convinced me to pay the ridiculously high price they want for it.

If you are a frugal person... buy any ol’ general purpose lithium grease. It will do the job if it meets NLGI-2. Grease often.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
No. I buy the 3% moly stuff from TSC or Blain's Farm and Fleet. It's not expensive and works for everything in my applications from wheel bearings to loader pins.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I have a very close dealer so I buy Kubota. It drips though in warm weather.
B5033062-8639-41DD-ACCE-F87C45AD7DAE.jpeg

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Buy mine where ever they sell Lucas Red N Tacky.
This thread is interesting because I am looking to find a good replacement for the grease I currently use. I got mine at a Car Quest store that went out of business several years ago. I bought every tub they had for a song. Now I am running out and I need to find a good replacement product.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
One takeaway I got is any type of good grease is better than not using it.
I use Lucas Red ‘n Tacky, but mostly because it’s convenient to get and supposedly a good product.
I was doing this as well, running two different grease guns one with EP / moly, the other with Lucas red 'n tacky. then i just gave up and started using r&t on everything.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
No. I buy the 3% moly stuff from TSC or Blain's Farm and Fleet. It's not expensive and works for everything in my applications from wheel bearings to loader pins.
Moly grease is generally not good for wheel bearings because it can cause “skidding” of the rollers where they fail to rotate due to reduced friction. This can cause flat spots in the rollers and bearing failure.

Creature Meadow

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 L4600, Disk, Brush Hog, GB60 Garden Bedder, GSS72 Grading Scraper
Sep 19, 2016
Central North Carolina
Used the Lucas Red-N-Tacky for years no problems with it and it is sticky. Live in NC so we get some 100f days and some 10f to 20f days.

Last year switched to Amsoil heavy duty with moly and love it. It seems to stay in place better. We have an outdoor show I attend each year and a rep is there selling misc. Amsoil products so I pick it up there.

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Does anybody have a reccomendation for lower temperature moly grease for the loader pins? All I'm seeing in the lithium based Moly goes down to 0 degrees F (found on NLGI 1 that goes to -4 F). It that all the colder the lithium can do? It has lithium in in now (but probably not moly).

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Does anybody have a reccomendation for lower temperature moly grease for the loader pins? All I'm seeing in the lithium based Moly goes down to 0 degrees F (found on NLGI 1 that goes to -4 F). It that all the colder the lithium can do? It has lithium in in now (but probably not moly).
Amsoil Polymeric off-road grease NLGI#1 is rated for 0*F and has 5% moly. I use the NLGI#2 myself but don't have to do much greasing in really cold weather. I go over my loader tractor in the fall before it gets cold and even though it's used every day feeding cows I don't need to grease it again until I service it in the spring before hay season starts.