Analysis Paralysis L2501/LX2610SU…….B2601

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
I disagree about the weight. I went with the 2650 because it can lift and carry just as much as the l2501, actually rated for a few lbs more, without lugging around all that extra weight. A heavier tractor is much better at ground engagement work (plowing, subsoiling, etc) but being heavy does not allow the hydraulics to do anymore work than a lighter tractor with essentially the same hydraulics. Of course ballast is important, but I can add and remove that as needed without having to lug all that weight around when not needed. I don't farm with my tractor, I use it as a multi tool, and most of the time the added weight of the L isn't needed or wanted.
As far as the digital dash, it's a non-issue for me. No hassle, easy to read, works flawlessly. I haven't heard of any one having problems with it on the 2650 so far.
Good luck with what ever you get.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
A totally agree about the B2601, I'm all on board just need a 5 foot cutting solution to deal with 4 acres of pasture. 9 out of 10 people I've spoken over the last year have said, "sure the B2601 can pull a 5' bush hog, but 9 out 10 had said they would not do so, stick with the 4 foot bush hog if you buy a B2601." Its been an across the board consensus from all be a few salesman. I hate the thought of spending this kind of money and cutting my pasture with a 4' bush hog the same width as the tiny riding lawn mower from Lowes.

I was leaving my property yesterday and standing at the front of my property and could see pasture for 275 yards (property is narrow though) and then another 150 yards of pasture to the right I could not see (hidden by tree line) and thinking about the value of the L2501's ability to pull a larger bush hog. I can always buy a used cheap riding lawnmower to deal with my yard. I don't know the answer and glad I've got a little more to make a decision.
My take on what you have said is you have 22 acres but are thinking like you only have five acres.

I would go with the L2501. Of course I’m only 73 and healthy so my thinking may be biased. On 8 acres my B2910 serves me well, but occasionally I do lust for a L2501.

edit: I do use my BX for grass cutting. B2910 with the 5 foot brush hog as needed.

Last edited:

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Henro, yes the bulk of my property is mature timber and if you take the yard out of the equation only about 4 acres to maintain with a tractor. In retrospect I probably should have made the topic of this thread, "BX or spend the extra to upgrade to the B2601". I WANT the bigger tractor (LX or L2501) but in reality the B2601 is probably the ideal choice for this property.

dneal

Equipment
B2601
Jun 24, 2020
Missouri
Henro, yes the bulk of my property is mature timber and if you take the yard out of the equation only about 4 acres to maintain with a tractor. In retrospect I probably should have made the topic of this thread, "BX or spend the extra to upgrade to the B2601". I WANT the bigger tractor (LX or L2501) but in reality the B2601 is probably the ideal choice for this property.
I maintain 6 acres or so. 2 Acres of pasture I brush hog periodically, 3/4 acres of yard and the rest woods. I thought a subcompact would be fine. It was, to some extent. The smaller tractor and 4’ brush hog got through the woods easily to cut saplings and whatnot. It was easy to get across the yard (house sits in the middle of the woods).

The quarter inching valve made for a pain in the butt when maintaining the drive, grading the yard and tilling a small garden. A little less difficult but still a pain for consistency in brush hog height. I also decided a grapple would be useful, so I traded up. Position control (and the 3-range transmission) is a great reason to go to a B instead of the BX. Once you’ve eliminated the BX, you just need to decide how big of a tractor you need (as you’re contemplating).

The L was just too big (especially getting around in the woods). I didn’t want to wait for the LX, and was between the B2601 and B2650. It was a complete toss-up and I couldn’t decide, although I was leaning toward the 2650. At the end of the day, the garage door height on my shop meant the 2601 would clear and the 2650 wouldn’t; so I went with the 2601. It’s also more appropriately sized to my attachments.

The one thing I would have done differently is with the brush hog. A flail with hammers would be more useful for me. More maneuverable in the woods and better finish.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
I was all on board with the flail mower up until a few days ago. Couple of issues, one being there just aren't that many to choose from. The small Landpride flail mower is rated 30hp and up and very $$$$$$$$ and it appeared the Woodmax was the the best of the other choices but again if you have a problem with it would service be a big issue. The MAIN thing that turned me off about the flail mower was there are LOTS of areas on my property where backing the cutter up to be able to mow into certain areas (around pond, under trees, etc) will be a must which would be easy with a bush hog and I may be wrong but from what I've read flail mowers don't cut well at all if backing up.

Dneal.......everything you said about the B2601 is why I think it makes the most sense.

dneal

Equipment
B2601
Jun 24, 2020
Missouri
Backing up with the brush hog is handy, but I’ve got limbs trimmed now so there’s not much I can’t get under (I’ve got walking paths through the woods). I’ve got some fencerow with woods bordering the property and a bunch of brush and locust saplings that grow quick. Backing into it with the brush hog gets tedious (lots of back and forth and steering), and an offset flail would be more efficient since I could just drive along it.

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
I will probably buy one these 48" some day when on sale. 1000.00 ish

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I will probably buy one these 48" some day when on sale. 1000.00 ish

I purchased one from them last year. Medium duty 53" for $1100 delivered to my door. Works great for my use. No real complaints from me this far.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I am getting a LX2610 with a cab(Hurrah, heat and air conditioning) FEL, 60 inch brush hog, 60 inch rotor tiller, 63 inch front snowblower, grader scraper(like a box blade but, better for gravel driveways). Keeping the 60 inch box blade and 60 back blade. Traded in a BX2370 with a FEL, 60 inch mid-mower deck, 54 inch front snowblower, and the four foot brush hog. The BX had no issues running the four foot brush hog, which the engine is .9 liters(23 hp engine) the LX2610 engine is 1.3 liter(25 hp engine). So looking at this the B2601 engine is 1.1 liters(24.3 hp engine). Yes i know the hp is bragging rights and torque wins the race. Yes, I would like to have the LX3310 but the emission equipment was a no go,(like the direct injection part of the engine, but, the LX2610 has a mechanical injection that with research on Kubota pumps can(will) be turned up. :ROFLMAO: If you give me a week I will have a review(lower field has not been mowed in a decade)((mowed half of it with the BX and left the rest for a test of the LX)). Also for the weight of the B2601 which is 1632lbs. the LX(with cab) is 2293 lbs. L2501HST is 2623 lbs. I'll take the comforts of the LX and find a way to add more weight if needed(also ordered the backhoe). Also I am getting the R14T hybrid tires which from my research are the best tires overall.

S-G-R

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310, LA535, rear remotes, third function, R14's
Jun 17, 2020
PEI Canada
I am getting a LX2610 with a cab(Hurrah, heat and air conditioning) FEL, 60 inch brush hog, 60 inch rotor tiller, 63 inch front snowblower, grader scraper(like a box blade but, better for gravel driveways). Keeping the 60 inch box blade and 60 back blade. Traded in a BX2370 with a FEL, 60 inch mid-mower deck, 54 inch front snowblower, and the four foot brush hog. The BX had no issues running the four foot brush hog, which the engine is .9 liters(23 hp engine) the LX2610 engine is 1.3 liter(25 hp engine). So looking at this the B2601 engine is 1.1 liters(24.3 hp engine). Yes i know the hp is bragging rights and torque wins the race. Yes, I would like to have the LX3310 but the emission equipment was a no go,(like the direct injection part of the engine, but, the LX2610 has a mechanical injection that with research on Kubota pumps can(will) be turned up. :ROFLMAO: If you give me a week I will have a review(lower field has not been mowed in a decade)((mowed half of it with the BX and left the rest for a test of the LX)). Also for the weight of the B2601 which is 1632lbs. the LX(with cab) is 2293 lbs. L2501HST is 2623 lbs. I'll take the comforts of the LX and find a way to add more weight if needed(also ordered the backhoe). Also I am getting the R14T hybrid tires which from my research are the best tires overall.
Congrats! That's going to one nice package and a lot of enjoyment once it arrives.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
That'll sure be a nice setup to have at your disposal. You'll be very pleased, for sure!!

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Congratulations on the LX2610. I have only seen the "SU" version. Still up in the air. I go back and forth and back and forth between all three models. Curious to see if any changes occur to Kubota incentives tomorrow (7/1).

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Regardless of which one you choose, I'd recommend a 5' cutter. You can always slow down or cut less than a full swath with a wider mower, but you can't always speed up with a narrow mower. Besides, you'll get a better cut and smoother ride going slower. And with HST, slowing down for a thick patch is easy. My concern would be with the tractor's ability to lift the mower/bush hog. Front weights might be an option.
I cut my bush hogging teeth on an old Allis Chalmers model C (~25 hp) pulling a 5-1/2' trailer-type bush hog, mowing pasture and an occasional sapling. Unsynchronized transmission and transmission drive PTO, so down-shifting was a pain. It worked well enough. But it could never have lifted the cutter, even if it had 3ph.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
I know and I keep coming coming back and back and back to the 5' cutter. I REALLY love the B2601 and its a good fit for my property in EVERY WAY except for the 4' bush hog. Its not that the B2601 can't turn a 5' cutter .......it can, its exactly as you say its the weight to lift it that is the problem. I'm looking into a Pat's quick hitch that would save a few bucks over the Landpride QH15 and this would save additional $ with OK but lesser quality implements like King Kutter or even used implements. I have a less than stellar back so ease of implement hookup is a top priority. Most seem happy with their Pat's quick hitch it appears. By going this route I can get the total out the door price down (including implements) on either a LX or L2501 down closer to the number I'm looking to hit and have a 5' cutter. As much as I love the B2601 I just feel like a 4' bush hog is a major negative. And as crazy as it sounds......I know.......don't do it.........don't do it........ I am open to a L2501 gear drive. Am FULLY AWARE of the limitations regarding loader work, single stage clutch issues, resale, etc but I like SIMPLE. As much as people complain about gear drives on this and other forums the people that own them seem to be happy and seem to acclimate to their shortcomings in short order. A gear drive L2501 and a B2601 are essentially the same price. And for bush hogging or slow speed tilling both of which I'll be doing just pop it in gear, foot off the pedal and let it go. Been MANY years since I used tractors but they were ALL gear drives.

Again, really curious to see what happens to Kubota incentives tomorrow. Still pondering, hopefully make a decision in the next few weeks.

Last edited:

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
What are the pros and cons of the 4' vs 5' brush hog? Is it simply a time thing so you can be done cutting and off the tractor faster to do other things?

For me - when it came to selecting a mid mount mower deck for our yard, the 60" made sense over the 54" because I have to cut our lawn damn near 2 times per week, and saving 15% cutting time (roughly) adds up over the course of the summer - and time is precious for us because we have two young children. Otherwise I wouldn't mind more tractor time :D

If you're brush hogging 1 time per month, is it a big issue if the 4' takes you an extra hour compared to what the 5' could have done? That's up to you to decide. Maybe you brush hog more frequently than that too.

Decisions like this become "easy" if you write things down and use facts to base your decision on. Figure out how often you mow, how much longer it takes with the 4' and decide if it makes sense to get the 5'. Write down the other pros and cons of the 4' and 5' units. You will likely find that the list is lopsided (either more pros than cons or the other way around) and it will become obvious what the right decision is.

Greg

Also, for what it's worth, the 4' and 5' cutters have the same requirements per LP:
The 5' cutter weights 475 lbs vs the 4' at 400 lbs.

TomRC

Jun 16, 2020
KY
Greg, I think you are right and it really boils down to time and I'm at a point where I VERY WELL may end up with the B2601 as maybe the extra time is worth the cost savings in a tractor that checks just about every other box. Have not made that decision yet.

I will say that I have talked to SO MANY PEOPLE over the past months, I mean a lot of people and while specs may indicate a 5' cutter is OK on a B2601........8 out of 10 say stick with a 4' bush hog on the B2601.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Greg, I think you are right and it really boils down to time and I'm at a point where I VERY WELL may end up with the B2601 as maybe the extra time is worth the cost savings in a tractor that checks just about every other box. Have not made that decision yet.

I will say that I have talked to SO MANY PEOPLE over the past months, I mean a lot of people and while specs may indicate a 5' cutter is OK on a B2601........8 out of 10 say stick with a 4' bush hog on the B2601.
I think the width will depend greatly on what you are attempting to cut. My personal preference is to stick with equipment that is right sized for the machine especially when it comes to things you are going to use frequently. This way it prevents you from overworking/overdoing it on your equipment or having other performance problems.

You could try finding a cheap used 5' on CL or FB. Worst case it doesn't work as well as you want and you can sell it for the same you bought it for.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
I looked up the specs. for the rotary cutter and found a 78 lbs difference between the RCR48 and RCR60. Model Numbers RCR1248 is (With front & rear guard, shear bolt driveline & laminated tire) 400 lbs. (181.4 kg) and the RCR1260 is 478 lbs. (216.8 kg). Below are pictures of the BX2370 getting ready for winter storage and the three point would lift this setup(okay only six inches at the rear wheel), but, this shows the three point is stronger than you think. Lift capacity is 1411 pounds 24" behind LP for the B2601. Forgot to mention the mid-mower is a 60 inch drive over model(no idea of the weight). Also don't know if you noticed this, but the B2601 is 49 inches wide.
20191130_140500[1].jpg
20191130_140510[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Bigger 60" 478 lbs. wagging around on back of B may require a load of dirt in the bucket ?
I have my loader off hauling firewood with carryall the front end is light. I have tractor ready for new test the MMM deck is off for seeing how will behave. My gut says I won't be hauling much with no weight.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just for what it’s worth.... my carry-all weighs about 175 or so.

With my BX, I figure I can carry a little less than 300 pounds of cargo, tops, without the FEL and the MMM on....no front weight otherwise. So that puts me at almost 475, all pretty close to the lift arms.

That is tops for cargo without fronts pointing skyward...again, that’s a BX without FEL on.

That rotary cutter would hang back a ways, but the lift capacity is much better on the B, and it’s a heavier and longer tractor.