NEPA
Good gardening to everyone this year!

Reactions: 1 user

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
Yeah mine are doing well also..... considering this heat wave.

I've drug the hose out there a few times to help.

tassles just coming in.

Sharpie

Jun 25, 2022
Wayne Co. MS
Planted my peas 3 times with nothing germinating the first two times. The third time they came up and the deer ate the top of them. The silver Queen corn came up but no rain and the heat caused the worms to get into it. We picked it one time and put up 54 quarts of creamed corn from that picking.

I cut the garden down with the bush hog and I’m contemplating planting the garden down in peas for the fall. If they come up, maybe there will be enough for us and the deer. At $33 a bushels for peas from the local farmers market, I need to produce enough for me and my immediate family for awhile.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Didn't plant nothing this year. One, nothing grows in the dirt at the house, barely even grass. Two, the weather pattern was shaping up to be exactly like I thought it would. Hot an dry. Until last Friday, I went 41 days straight without a drop of precipitation. It's getting bad. Need many inches of rain like right now but I'm afraid that it'll be too late for a lot of us since everything's already brown and dried up.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Didn't plant nothing this year. One, nothing grows in the dirt at the house, barely even grass. Two, the weather pattern was shaping up to be exactly like I thought it would. Hot an dry. Until last Friday, I went 41 days straight without a drop of precipitation. It's getting bad. Need many inches of rain like right now but I'm afraid that it'll be too late for a lot of us since everything's already brown and dried up.
What did you get from that storm??? We got a whopping 12 drops at the house. 😏😏😏 Sure boomed and a lot of flashes though.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
We had a pretty good storm here early this morning with 50-60 mph winds. While I was out running errands, I noticed several gardens that had sweet corn blown down. Didn't see any field corn damage though. With all the rain we have had in the last three weeks or so, the corn across the road from me really shot up. It looks like its 8 feet tall, and is tassled out now.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Its been dry here also. If it were not for the drip tape I installed im not sure what would have happened!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
This pretty much sums up our weather. 104° currently 😱😱😱

IMG_20220724_153830.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
We seem to be back in Monsoon Season. Getting 20-minute turd floaters every day now.

We only did a small veggie patch next to the house, about 6' x 20'. Mostly, we learned a bit about organizing what we're willing to work for a garden so we get best yield. Not enough room for corn. I put the cucumbers on trellises which kept them off the ground. We are still getting a LOT of cucumbers. Can't give 'em away fast enough, and we have all the pickles we can possibly eat for the next two years. Previous years' attempts usually just wound up being a whole lotta head scratching about how to stop the bloom end rot. The two Roma tomatoe vines were gorgeous, and looked like they were going to go all summer. But, something attacked the bark on the vines just at soil level (nematodes?). It really looked like chipmunks did it, but they didn't cut the vine. Just the bark. And ONLY the Roma. Weird. Didn't touch the Big Boy or little tomatoes(3 different varieties). I probably should have planted them a few weeks earlier , but the leafy greens were absolutely gorgeous until just before ready to pick. Worms. I've fed several hornworms to the robins out in the yard, and try to get 'em (the robins) to hang around in the garden and help with insects. They're lazy and wait for me to bring the caterpillars to them. They'll eat every worm I throw out in the yard, but won't bother to come to the garden where they could eat until they faint. I can nearly walk up to them and touch them, so it ain't because they're afraid of us. We tried Sevin, Neem Oil, Dawn dishwashing liquid, Spectracide, you name it. I think I heard some of the caterpillars burp when I sprayed them while things were a little dry. We STILL have hundreds of the white butterflies hanging around. Dunno what it's gonna take to kill 'em off, but I'd prefer to benefit from a garden I go through the trouble to plant.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
When to the local farm today, the corn was $5 for 6 or $10 for 12. My wife decided to buy 6, and cooked 4 tonight. It was so good, that tomorrow I will be going back to buy another 6. They pick corn in the morning, and when it is gone, they close the stand until the next afternoon. They also peel the husk back to make sure that the corn that you buy is the best quality. The "seconds" go to the farm animals.

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Cha Chinggg! Hahahaha! I will can some and the rest goes to friends and neighbors. Well if the racoons and deer dont get it first maybe the Japaneese beetles will eat all the silk and no one will get any! They are the worst I have ever seen them this year!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
We seem to be back in Monsoon Season. Getting 20-minute turd floaters every day now.

We only did a small veggie patch next to the house, about 6' x 20'. Mostly, we learned a bit about organizing what we're willing to work for a garden so we get best yield. Not enough room for corn. I put the cucumbers on trellises which kept them off the ground. We are still getting a LOT of cucumbers. Can't give 'em away fast enough, and we have all the pickles we can possibly eat for the next two years. Previous years' attempts usually just wound up being a whole lotta head scratching about how to stop the bloom end rot. The two Roma tomatoe vines were gorgeous, and looked like they were going to go all summer. But, something attacked the bark on the vines just at soil level (nematodes?). It really looked like chipmunks did it, but they didn't cut the vine. Just the bark. And ONLY the Roma. Weird. Didn't touch the Big Boy or little tomatoes(3 different varieties). I probably should have planted them a few weeks earlier , but the leafy greens were absolutely gorgeous until just before ready to pick. Worms. I've fed several hornworms to the robins out in the yard, and try to get 'em (the robins) to hang around in the garden and help with insects. They're lazy and wait for me to bring the caterpillars to them. They'll eat every worm I throw out in the yard, but won't bother to come to the garden where they could eat until they faint. I can nearly walk up to them and touch them, so it ain't because they're afraid of us. We tried Sevin, Neem Oil, Dawn dishwashing liquid, Spectracide, you name it. I think I heard some of the caterpillars burp when I sprayed them while things were a little dry. We STILL have hundreds of the white butterflies hanging around. Dunno what it's gonna take to kill 'em off, but I'd prefer to benefit from a garden I go through the trouble to plant.
We have had Japanese Beetles (no relation to the English Beatles) and used Sevin bug powder and that seems to taken care of the problem. It has been two weeks and they appear to be gone, but we keep checking.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
DITTO !!!!!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
When to the local farm today, the corn was $5 for 6 or $10 for 12. My wife decided to buy 6, and cooked 4 tonight. It was so good, that tomorrow I will be going back to buy another 6. They pick corn in the morning, and when it is gone, they close the stand until the next afternoon. They also peel the husk back to make sure that the corn that you buy is the best quality. The "seconds" go to the farm animals.
$10 for a dozen ears of corn?
What has this world come to?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well I do know the price of fertilizer has gone through the roof, seed too. Fuel cost, crazy, parts , if you can find them for balers are high twine and wrap, just nuts. Now kick in the amount of rain or lack there of, at least around here, the bottom line starts to get a little dicey. Feed and vet bills well they are following suit. I could go political with this but I wont, out of respect of other member. The bottom line is what we took for granted, we no longer can,,, Remember no farmers no food

Biker1mike

Equipment
B6200, Kubota 2030 Front Blade, King Cutter 60" finishing deck
Jan 11, 2022
Gallatin, NY USA
$10 for a dozen ears of corn?
What has this world come to?
If my favorite farm stand feels they need to charge 8 bucks a dozen to pay their mortgage, keep the tractors running , put food on their table , and make some profit it is fine by me. If he goes to 10 , I will understand.
Wife will be buying 10 dozen this week to blanch and freeze. Noting better than fresh tasting corn in Feb.