Am I picky or is this within "spec"? STB1072 plow

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
Your SSQA Plate is about as true as my receiver I bought online.
1000016190.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Stop buying made-in-China parts and you might have better luck with getting quality parts.

Reactions: 1 users

Fly5guy

Equipment
LX2610 Cab, R14's filled, LA535, SGC0660, PFL1242, RCR1860, LR1672, STB1072
Apr 14, 2022
How do things look when the loader bucket is installed? Same or different?

This may give you a hint about what is going on. Just trying to help, nothing more... (y)

After though: Don't write off the previous suggestions by others to check rear tire pressure. A slight difference can make a much greater difference at the end of the loader arms.

Also, there could be an actual difference in the diameters of the rear tires. This has been reported before and has the same affect as different tire pressures at the end of the loader arms.
Never noticed anything crooked on my bucket or grapple. And when I say I never noticed it, I look all the time after using the grapple and make sure I didn't tweak anything. Tires are GTG. Checked them. I still think the tires have nothing to do with the qa plate and the plow it is welded too being crooked. If the tractor was upside down, they would still be crooked to each other, the angle does not matter, I feel like they should line up / plane out on both sides the same.

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022
OK, I like pink as NOW I can see the black plow way above the black QA part of the plow frame.
Something ain't installed correct on the 'plow package'

BTW my garage floor is not level or flat, has dips in it so LOUSY as a 'reference'. Concrete pad outside is 'flat'
I have been called very picky, many times in my life. So knowing you see what I see makes me feel better.

Reactions: 1 user

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022
The SSQA plate is not welded parallel to the blade. P-poor quality fabrication. I can eyeball closer than that with my eyes closed!
That is also what I see. Thanks for the comment.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Go back to the dealer and see if they have another in stock. Then compare the 2 and see if they are both alike. I doubt that if one was welded incorrectly another would be the same. If they don't have another have them put that blade onto a tractor that they have in inventory. If it fits correctly, then it is your tractor, if not it is the blade.

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022
Or tire pressure.
The qa plate and the plow are welded together. Even if I aired up one side so the plow hits flat across the ground the qa plate and the plow will still be crooked to each other.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If the qa plate is welded incorrectly then you should be able to take some measurements to determine where it is welded wrong. I think that it is the quick attach parts on your tractor that are out of square.
Instead of beating on the keyboard, go out to the tractor and start going through some of the suggestions that have been made. That is the only way that you are going to learn about your tractor and how to recognize and resolve issues.

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022
Stop buying made-in-China parts and you might have better luck with getting quality parts.
This is very helpful.
If the qa plate is welded incorrectly then you should be able to take some measurements to determine where it is welded wrong. I think that it is the quick attach parts on your tractor that are out of square.
Instead of beating on the keyboard, go out to the tractor and start going through some of the suggestions that have been made. That is the only way that you are going to learn about your tractor and how to recognize and resolve issues.
I'm pretty certain it is not the tractor. I also don't know how the qa on the tractor and the qa on the blade both line up with the tops of my loader arms perfectly and the blade is the only crooked thing, but it would be the tractor. I realize it is hard to see everything in pictures but, pretty sure its the blade. I emailed the dealer some pics. Thanks for the help.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, I just downloaded the parts manual...curious am I and nothing on the idiot box...
Have a good look and see if parts #20 and 21 are INSTALLED. If one of the #20 are missing, that'd 'tip' the blade relative to the SSQA mtg plate.
You should be able to grab an end of the blade and NOT have ANY vertical 'wiggle'.
Some 'front end' pictures may show what I mean.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
My first thought is to turn the tractor around and park it in the same spot, if the tilt moves to the other side the floor isn't the problem.

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022
OK, I just downloaded the parts manual...curious am I and nothing on the idiot box...
Have a good look and see if parts #20 and 21 are INSTALLED. If one of the #20 are missing, that'd 'tip' the blade relative to the SSQA mtg plate.
You should be able to grab an end of the blade and NOT have ANY vertical 'wiggle'.
Some 'front end' pictures may show what I mean.
Took a look at 20 and 21. I can't see if those are installed without taking the nut off but the blade doesn't have any wiggle, besides the normal movement of the loader arms anyways. I did just measure from that bolt to the bottom of the bracket it goes though and both sides are very close, if not the same, hard to measure off a bolt. I think I found where the issue lies, I'm gonna post it in another comment. Thanks for the comment.

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022
My first thought is to turn the tractor around and park it in the same spot, if the tilt moves to the other side the floor isn't the problem.
I have 3 other front end attachments and none of them have this issue, so I'm pretty confident its not the tractor. I noticed the issue in my yard first. Then went to the driveway, blacktop, same issue. Then went to the garage floor. Same issue, same side low. So at least its consistent. Ha.

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022
Ok, So I got back out after dinner and did some measuring etc. For anyone who said my tractor wasn't level good job, the first level picture, the more level one, is the top of the QA of the blade attached to the tractor, so not perfectly level, I award all of you 1 attaboy. The second level picture however is sitting on top of the blade, 2 seconds after the first picture was taken, tractor was not moved. So the plow does not match the mount attached to the tractor. Hopefully that clears up all the tire pressure comments. I'll add I'm a carpenter, I know how to use a level, I know tipping it screws the reading, I did it correctly, I guess you have to trust me on that one. I then found 3 spots that do not measure the same from the left side to the right side. I'm using the tape measure as more of a pointer fyi. All 3 of those spots measured anywhere from 1/8" to 3/16" different from left to right. All making the right side be lower. So if we expound those over 6' we get pretty crooked. I feel like this was the perfect storm of things just being a little off. If one of those would have offset the other two it would probably be straight, or straighter anyways. Shot an email to the dealer, I guess we will see what they say.

Attachments

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
I'm not really sure just what your measuring in the pic's with the tape measure , if there's measurements there they should be shown on each side , or that's my take . Have you tried not just un hooking the attachment , but trying in with the tractor & attachment in a different location ? Are the rod's of the rams the same measurement on both sides ?
animals45

Fly5guy

Equipment
Apr 14, 2022
I'm not really sure just what your measuring in the pic's with the tape measure , if there's measurements there they should be shown on each side , or that's my take . Have you tried not just un hooking the attachment , but trying in with the tractor & attachment in a different location ? Are the rod's of the rams the same measurement on both sides ?
animals45
I said in my post the tape was just pointing at where I measured. I'm not gonna try and measure and take pictures In all those spots. Gist is that the a-frame that attaches to the qa bracket we'll say is what was welded crooked. I have had the tractor in many different locations.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Sorry to have wasted your time . We now return to our regular programming .
animals45

Dead Ash

Equipment
L 35 T/L/B
Jul 15, 2023
Ohio
Hello Fly5Guy,

I by no means am as knowledgeable as the many members on this forum and many of those that have already replied, but not discounting what they have suggested and it appears that you have utilized their suggestions, IMHO you are correct that it is screwed up and was manufactured that way. Yes as one of the others stated a P-Poor job.

The others have given all the correct answers but I think this problem is perfectly suited for your skill set. You said that you are a carpenter, so pretty good with eyeballing some thing to be out of square, out of plum, out of level. And you are using tools to help substantiate that claim. I used to work with a guy who stated that the human eye is very accurate at evaluating the three things I mentioned above, and with your experience you're probably very good at it.

It took me a little time to see it but using your second picture up against the garage door I can clearly see that the black QA plate is not welded correctly to the plow blade. Looks like an example of poor quality control.

You have already taken the others suggestions and done some more testing on your own, so maybe find a flat piece of cardboard from a refrigerator box and lay the blade face down and then using your skill set with level, carpenter square or as straight a piece of wood you can find and draw this on the cardboard to help make visualizing this easier. Then use the square to to demonstrate how out of square it is. I like the idea of trying it on a tractor in the showroom, in front of them, hoping that theirs was assembled good.

Maybe take a couple other pictures and then go back to the dealer, before it gets scratched and or shows usage, with the pictures and your receipt and politely get your point across and hopefully leave with a full refund or a properly made implement that you thought you bought the first time. But not this one.

I agree it is not correct and again your skill set and eye will hopefully convince them.

Good luck, sorry this was so long, and i will hold my breath beginning now to hear of the results. mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Ok i'm gonna pass out now. mmmmmmmmmmmmm

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
Maybe this picture will show what I am seeing. You can see the qa plate against the white background. Left side is just above. Right side is much higher. So the qa plate and the blade are not on the the same plane.
Its plain to see the QA plate is welded on crooked!