advise on shed roof trusses diy

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That’s apples and oranges…2x6 will span 13’…..not as part of a truss, but stand alone. Carpenter for 50 yrs….I know what standards are.
I was poking fun at the 2x6 across 13'. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That’s apples and oranges…2x6 will span 13’…..not as part of a truss, but stand alone. Carpenter for 50 yrs….I know what standards are.
Span tables for all types of material are available on the internet.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
Hi just a little feedback. the trusses seem fine and we have had a considerable amount of wind alto the snow has been light less than a foot at one time. I made a mistake using the suntuf panels and when building the tractor shed with the medal roof was able to use clear roofing panels supplied by my metal roof supplier. Those panels were much easier to install and less than 1/2 the price and they look as good or better. There is a leak in the suntuf roof that I have so far been unable to locate but the panels have multiple gaps so this spring I will silicone the gaps. the metal roofing supplied panels have no gaps. live and learn.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hi just a little feedback. the trusses seem fine and we have had a considerable amount of wind alto the snow has been light less than a foot at one time. I made a mistake using the suntuf panels and when building the tractor shed with the medal roof was able to use clear roofing panels supplied by my metal roof supplier. Those panels were much easier to install and less than 1/2 the price and they look as good or better. There is a leak in the suntuf roof that I have so far been unable to locate but the panels have multiple gaps so this spring I will silicone the gaps. the metal roofing supplied panels have no gaps. live and learn.
Don't use silicone, use Lexel!
It doesn't harden, so it flexes with temp and condition changes.
It's not cheap but it 100% works!

Reactions: 1 user

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
one .big mistake I made was using the suntuf for the roof . my medal roof guy has a better clear product that would have been much easier to install for 1/2 the price. The suntuf went up wanky and was difficult to install the clear poly from the metal roof guy is much easier to install and looks better it will be my choice when I put up the greenhouse. As far as the trusses go they held up all winter with some pretty powerful winds and seem to be doing great. thank you for all the help and advice

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
it was posted 2 months after the thread was started and referred to online resources, which here in Canada,generally cannot be used for local building codes for trusses.it looks like an AI posted it.
heck, local city here demanded a threaded rod be inserted into the bents ! Just HOW do you drill a 1" hole down a 20' long 14x16 beam !!
Yup, crazy LOCAL laws........

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Good luck with the shed. Don’t forget to use hurricane ties or similar. They are relatively inexpensive, but will help when the wind blows. Also, pay attention to how you put the screws into the roofing including the number to use
The OP is on the East side of the Bay of Fundy.
The wind almost never blows there. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Downeaster

Equipment
Kubota BX1880, loader, mower deck, and ballast
Oct 18, 2022
Waterford, Maine
I purchased a 12x16 ft shed a few years ago, and it had trusses like the ones in the first pic. I immediately notice that the center of the roof was already starting to bow down. Checking the trusses, I could tell they were installed very cheaply. I decided to beef up the trusses myself, with 6 2x4's, on the longest part of the trusses, and added support half way on each of them. I live near the White Mountains in Maine and we have snows that are in multiple feet each year. I don't think I had much more than $50 dollars to make everything right. Spend a little bit more and ensure you will have no problems.