Advice needed

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
For cutting grass due to weight I suppose. It will outclass the BX for all other types of things. The BX is smaller, of course, so it can fit in tighter areas if that is a concern.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
That is a lot of tractor for 2 1/2 acres. And you had several trees in your yard. That means there is still going to be a lot of push mowing to trim up that yard. If money is not a problem then buy it with the idea in the back of your mind that you can sell it in order to go smaller.

If you look at TractorHouse.com the price looks about right. If you look at AuctionTime.com you will see that it is way over priced.

If I were in your shoes I would keep shopping for something smaller and better at mowing. Check our the Kubota build a tractor and you could get a new tractor closer to the size you need w/ the FEL. I think you would be much happier.

Do you have a place to keep that big of a tractor?

Besides Pittsburgh to Athens is a pretty good haul over some pretty good hills.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
If the choice is BX or this... THIS!!!
Thats how I feel. Depending on purchase price it may represent significant value. A new set up like this would cost almost $30,000. These "Grand Series " tractors are more complicated, lots to go wrong. So far not a lot of complaints though. Thanks

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
That is a lot of tractor for 2 1/2 acres. And you had several trees in your yard. That means there is still going to be a lot of push mowing to trim up that yard. If money is not a problem then buy it with the idea in the back of your mind that you can sell it in order to go smaller.

If you look at TractorHouse.com the price looks about right. If you look at AuctionTime.com you will see that it is way over priced.

If I were in your shoes I would keep shopping for something smaller and better at mowing. Check our the Kubota build a tractor and you could get a new tractor closer to the size you need w/ the FEL. I think you would be much happier.

Do you have a place to keep that big of a tractor?

Besides Pittsburgh to Athens is a pretty good haul over some pretty good hills.
It should fit in half of my 2 car garage. Much to my wifes dismay. 3 hrs to Athens, OH. Would you recommend a B2920? Thanks

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
A new B2601 is all you need. Actually, a new BX2380 is all you need. Of course, if all we had in life was what we needed, life would be very boring.

At the want end, I genuinely believe you'd be happier with a B2601 or an LX2610. It's more "right sized" for your property, it'll do most of what the L will do, but it's lighter, will probably mow better, and it comes with a warranty.

A B2920 is also a great machine in that similar size, and would be a lot cheaper than a new B or LX. A bit more power too - pre-emissions means they're not detuning the engine down to 26HP.

It's not that an L is too big - there's not really such a thing I guess. But when you have that size property, the number of things an L does better is quite small (and mostly that just means faster, not better), and the number of things an L does worse is long (because it's a bit big for the spaces, a bit heavy for the lawn etc).

I'm a strong believer in buying what you want, but it seems like it isn't really that you want a machine that size, you're just hooked on getting more for less money. Shop around, you will find a cheap B and that's better buying for you.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
A new B2601 is all you need. Actually, a new BX2380 is all you need. Of course, if all we had in life was what we needed, life would be very boring.

At the want end, I genuinely believe you'd be happier with a B2601 or an LX2610. It's more "right sized" for your property, it'll do most of what the L will do, but it's lighter, will probably mow better, and it comes with a warranty.

A B2920 is also a great machine in that similar size, and would be a lot cheaper than a new B or LX. A bit more power too - pre-emissions means they're not detuning the engine down to 26HP.

It's not that an L is too big - there's not really such a thing I guess. But when you have that size property, the number of things an L does better is quite small (and mostly that just means faster, not better), and the number of things an L does worse is long (because it's a bit big for the spaces, a bit heavy for the lawn etc).

I'm a strong believer in buying what you want, but it seems like it isn't really that you want a machine that size, you're just hooked on getting more for less money. Shop around, you will find a cheap B and that's better buying for you.
Beautifully said. I agree. All of my life the inner poorboy is looking for a deal first. I will take your advice. Thank you!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Near the end of 2018 we bought a clean used L4240HSTC. Loaded grooved R4's and a 7-1/2' rear mower. Best lawn mower I've had for our 3.5 acres. Happy with the 8' snow plow. Why not?

Attachments

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
Thats how I feel. Depending on purchase price it may represent significant value.
Value is mainly what I look at but realistically, that Grand L is over the top for mowing a small area. The biggest issue I see is the total weight, hauling it around and mowing.

Hum, I wonder how far is Ohio? :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
This is one of those go sit on it and drive it, and various other choices, around. The L40 series are good tractors. The university had one for sale at surplus,,and I was surprised at how small it was! It had been used to clear sidwalks and salt on campus where maneuverability would be necessary. This is relative to the recent grand Ls, eg my L3560. I quite happily mow an acre of lawn with trees and flower beds with a B2650 and plow and carry stuff around the yard with the L3560 and loader. Both have loaded tires. They don't tear up the lawn unless I forget and turn too sharp in 4wd. It all really depends on your yard and preferences.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
This is one of those go sit on it and drive it, and various other choices, around. The L40 series are good tractors. The university had one for sale at surplus,,and I was surprised at how small it was! It had been used to clear sidwalks and salt on campus where maneuverability would be necessary. This is relative to the recent grand Ls, eg my L3560. I quite happily mow an acre of lawn with trees and flower beds with a B2650 and plow and carry stuff around the yard with the L3560 and loader. Both have loaded tires. They don't tear up the lawn unless I forget and turn too sharp in 4wd. It all really depends on your yard and preferences.
The L4240 is the largest tractor I've had to date, but handles like it's the smallest. Check actual measurements in Post #12 in this thread:

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
The L4240 is the largest tractor I've had to date, but handles like it's the smallest. Check actual measurements in Post #12 in this thread:

ISSUE RESOLVED, Well I just spoke with the seller and the height with the ROPS folded is 81 inches and the seat height is 68 inches. My garage opening is 80 inches. That tractor needs a barn. A bit disappointed. Thanks everyone for the advice.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Yes, but you'll have a happy wife! It sure is a nice tractor though, and the last version of minimal EPA requirements moving forward.

Be thankful you never set in the seat and operated it, or hooked up an implement. It would spoil you from the other models you'll find.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
New Turf tires would lower the overall height... {where's the icon "stirring the pot"?}
I am having a hard time shaking the idea. In addition to it possibly being a stupid purchase , how stupid would it be to keep it outside/out of sight under a tarp year round? This might both please the wife and quell my diesel addiction.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
how stupid would it be to keep it outside/out of sight under a tarp year round? This might both please the wife and quell my diesel addiction.
I don't like that idea. Too nice a tractor to be leaving outside with a tarp over it. You'll be inviting rodents and trapping moisture. Perhaps if you built a small shed with a proper roof and ventilation, that would be OK. Fortunately, I have a barn for mine. I would assume the winters would be hard on equipment left outside up there, just like the summers would be here. But, year round outside is just rough on anything anywhere, especially since the newer tractors have so much plastic now compared to the older machines.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I am having a hard time shaking the idea. In addition to it possibly being a stupid purchase , how stupid would it be to keep it outside/out of sight under a tarp year round? This might both please the wife and quell my diesel addiction.
Edit- I read previous post wrong

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
For my view, I still think you're attracted to the deal, not to the tractor.

If you actually want a tractor that size, then absolutely. There are a few ways to make it fit - nobody will recommend it but you can cut the ROPs down a bit, or notch your garage, or build a lean-to behind the garage, or build a new pole barn (using your new tractor).

But if you're still just attracted to the deal, rest assured that another deal will come along, there's no deal so good that you can't walk away from it. If you actually want a B-sized tractor, then wait for a deal on a B-sized tractor.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: how stupid would it be to keep it outside/out of sight under a tarp year round?
Well I've tossed wife's 2019 car OUT of the garage to put MY 2018 BX23s IN... and I'm still alive to tell you about it. A semi proper lean-to is much better than a tarp as it'll withstand Ol' man Winter, well, should.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
For my view, I still think you're attracted to the deal, not to the tractor.

If you actually want a tractor that size, then absolutely. There are a few ways to make it fit - nobody will recommend it but you can cut the ROPs down a bit, or notch your garage, or build a lean-to behind the garage, or build a new pole barn (using your new tractor).

But if you're still just attracted to the deal, rest assured that another deal will come along, there's no deal so good that you can't walk away from it. If you actually want a B-sized tractor, then wait for a deal on a B-sized tractor.
There are many available now. Thanks for all the help. I will put this idea behind me. (trying not to cry)...