Advice Needed On Possible Purchase L2000DT

RAM

Dec 14, 2014
Arkansas, U.S.
Hello All,
New member and first time post. First of all thanks to all who operates/maintains this forum, bunch of great information! I would've never thought that there was so many people and information out there for Kubotas! What a great site!

I've been reading up on your site today and wanted to join in to gather intel on a possible project. I have an opportunity to purchase a L2000DT but just couldn't settle on a price yet due to my uncertainties (ignorance) in repairs! I think its a good price but that can go downhill pretty fast if the right thing is wrong!

Info on tractor:
L2000DT
1500 Hours
Tiller included in price
$2500 USD

The good:
Starts and purrs like a kitten, engine sounds great
No noticeable engine oil or gear/transmission oil leaks (even at the PTO seal)
H/L 8-2 all seam fine and operate
All four speeds PTO work
Tiller seems to be great, no obvious noise when operating

The bad:
Brakes not working
Radiator Leaks from upper area (not the cap or overflow)
Tires in bad shape=dry rotted (will need at least three, both front and one rear)
Black pull knob doesn't work. I assume its some sort of compression release??? But not sure...
Missing some type of switch/control knob on dash panel (the one with the silver housing)

Radiator re-core and tires, I can get a good idea on price, but the brakes worry me. Anyone deal with the brake system?

I think I might be able to get it for $2000, but I don't want to sink a lot of money into it and not be able to get out from underneath it without a huge loss. This will be my first tractor.

I plan to go back to the owner and look at the tractor again. Maybe make him an offer. Any advice what to look for, tips on these types of tractors, etc...?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Thank You!
Russell

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First off one of the biggest things you need to know is that tractor is a Grey/Gray market, this will mean several things.
Go HERE to find out more on grey/gray market.
You can not walk into a Kubota dealer and get any parts by telling them your model #, they are not allowed to sell them to you, you can get around this by knowing the part #'s and just asking for the part. :(
Some online places deal in parts but you will not be able to get the part #'s from them either you will have to know it, and sadly it's not on the parts.

But now this leads to the next problem, getting a parts manual, an operators manual or the most important, the Workshop Service Manual (WSM) is near to impossible, sometimes you can get lucky and find the manuals in French or Japanese but still hard to read. :p

The L2000 is close but not the exact same as a L225 (which is not a grey/gray market) which means you can wing it on some things but you might have to guess on others.

Now the tiller, If it is attached as most Grey's are your going to have to buy a 3 point assembly to use any other implements like a blade or a mower, And if that tiller needs work your going to have to get inventive as most parts for it are going to be extremely hard to find, if at all.

So In conclusion, we all are always willing to help if we can, pictures are always good, just be aware that it will be a challenge.

Last edited:

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
It's totally doable and wont be crazy expensive if you know how to turn a wrench and do some of the work yourself.

As Wolfman said its a grey market tractor, assuing your a resident in the North American hemisphere.

If you reside elsewhere on planet Earth, then that model is correct to you and parts arent an issue.

As Wolfman said its crosses over to an L225, so find a parts manual for that model.

RAM

Dec 14, 2014
Arkansas, U.S.
Thanks y'all!

I kinda figured it to be gray tractor after I spoke with the local dealer...I wanted to figure out how easy it was to get parts for an older model such as this...so I called...it was like I hit an invisible speech wall with the parts guy...he started crawfishing like I aint never heard after he figured out what it was...:eek:

I will take another look at this unit, but wanted to gather more info before I go. Brakes concern me as to what it may cost to fix them, or more importantly in the realm of safety, if they can be repaired at all. I can't seem to find a diagram that details them. Any info on where to locate a diagram on the braking system and what are some tips to look for?

I have attached two pictures, albeit not the best or closest detailing her, but all I got.

Thanks!
Russell

Attachments

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
The brakes on that should be similar to automotive style drum brakes. Not hard to replace yourself. Since the L225 is the cross over model you can go to Kubotas website and pull up and illustrated parts list and get an idea how it all goes together.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
The hardest part of the brakes is getting the wheel off. They are enclosed in a houseing (wet disc) but easy to get off, other than rusted bolts.

RAM

Dec 14, 2014
Arkansas, U.S.
Thanks y'all! I'm gonna make him an offer. After reading up on some of the tips, y'all's advice, watching videos, and other information here, I think I can tear apart and rebuild the brakes after looking at the kubota's L225DT exploded view of the system. I'll let y'all know how it goes! :D Thanks again, Russell

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
I see Russel uploading pictures in a year of the restored and upgraded little tractor he bought. Good for you man! A project that pays back dividends every time you use it.

One thing about drum brakes: You can get them re-lined. You'll probably have to mail them off but it runs less than most people think. Getting the type shoes that work wet will be the trick. I am sure the re-lining folks know what pad to use for your application.

No loader (FEL) would be the deal breaker for me. I swear I use my tractor as a wheelbarrow half the time. I haul boxes to and from the barn. Not to mention moving material like rock and sand. Of course, you can always buy another tractor. (Tractors get lonely and like to have tractor friends in the barn...its a well known fact. Just like guns in your gun safe.) Or, you can use a little trailer for work around the ranch.

Plan on a whole new set of "tars." Once you got three mounted, you'd kick yourself for not doing the other rear. Fronts are available online and aren't too expensive ($50-60 apiece) and are easy to mount if you have air. Goodyear no longer makes Ag tires. Titan bought them and the tires are identical. In fact. my 2012 L3800 came with Titans installed.

Take lots of pictures now. If you are like most of us, you won't stop improving the machine. Its nice to look back at what you have accomplished.

If you don't have a barn or big garage, start looking for a used metal carport. Lots of folks down South have those and you can often find deals on used ones people want to sell, if you dismantle it and haul it away. Keeping your tractor out of rain and sun will do more for its life than anything else you do, except fluids. And, a lot of those can be boxed in with tarps and later siding to keep them dry.

Have fun and keep sending in pictures. For $2000, you can hardly go wrong!

Ray

Last edited:

Richaur

Equipment
L2000DT
Mar 11, 2016
Salt Ash
Hi all,

I have just scored an L2000DT with a Gearbox issue. I have stripped the gearbox down and identified what I need to fix and have sourced the parts (after much searching). While I wait for the parts to arrive I would like to make sure I have everything else covered and need a parts manual. Can somebody pass on a pdf or let me know where I can get one. I believe after much reading and stumbling around in here I need the L225DT parts manual or L225 would do to put the box back together. As I am in Australia the US Kubota website will not let me download this parts manual. Any help would be greatly appreciated.