Adding mirrors so I don't have to turn in my seat!

Frankb

Equipment
Kubota B2601, FEL, Backhoe, Belly Mower, Grapple, Rear Scrape Blade
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I got real tired of trying to turn around in my seat to see if anyone was trying to pass me on my road as I was traveling back and forth to my neighbor’s house half mile up the road as well as working around the trees on my land, so I decided I needed to install mirrors on my B2601.

It was a great little project, and fun to do.

I bought two Golf Cart side mount mirrors from Amazon for just under $12. Flat stock stock 1/16 X 1 1/2 x 36” long from Lowes for under $8. The Kubota Orange paint and a couple 3/8” bolts with fender washers drilled out to 3/8” and Nyloc nuts and an old truck inner tube was on hand.

Mocked up the mirrors on tractor with the flat stock and a couple vise grips to see what I needed to do, and what size to cut. I used the existing holes on the towers so no drilling was done on tractor at all.

I marked and cut the flat stock at 9 1/2” each, and drilled the appropriate mounting holes. Traced and cut out the inner tube pieces to go between the mirror mounts and flat stock to minimize vibration. I installed inner tube between the flat stock and towers on tractor to keep the flat stock in place when I tightened everything down and to minimize vibration there as well.

Everything worked well so I took it all apart and sanded the flat stock, washed with mineral spirits and primed and painted with the Kubota paint. Let it all dry over night and mounted everything once again for the final install.
Project was easy and very inexpensive. Mirrors are adjustable in and out as well as up and down. I kept the mirrors in tight and inside the line of front to back tires in case I was to rub a tree on my property I would not rip off the mirrors. I can fold the mirrors all the way in if needed as well. I now have full view of the rear while sitting in my seat!
I have a bunch of before and after pics of what I did and used, but did not think you wanted to be bored with it all so here are the final pics of completion.
IMG_3401.jpeg

Attachments

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

airbiscuit

Equipment
New Holland T2310, New Holland TC21D, Kubota l3010 GST, Farmall H
Mar 18, 2021
NW WI
Tractor Mirror3.jpg
Nice Job! Mirrors are handy to have. On a different forum, I learned that Jeep Wrangler mirrors also work well (they have a flat mounting surface), and are pretty cheap on Ebay. I bolted a board on my loader tower and used threaded inserts in that to mount the Wrangler mirror. It works great,

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I am hoping these mirrors will hold up to branch bashing and brush bumping.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I used golf cart mirrors on my old tractor, and one broke off the first time that it hit a branch that was maybe 1/2" diameter. The other one never broke, but it wouldn't stay where I put it. Solved the problem with a drop of super glue. If you give it a hard push, the glue will break loose, and you just reset it, and start over.

Reactions: 1 users

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
I used golf cart mirrors on my old tractor, and one broke off the first time that it hit a branch that was maybe 1/2" diameter. The other one never broke, but it wouldn't stay where I put it. Solved the problem with a drop of super glue. If you give it a hard push, the glue will break loose, and you just reset it, and start over.
The mirrors I bought have a swivel on them so you can push, pull or move up or down. If I do not tighten too much I should be fine with these. If not, I am out just under $12. I think I can del with that loss at least once. LOL

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
This is a curved (wide-angle) rearview Golf-Cart mirror I found on Amazon for about $20. Works great and sits beneath the canopy so doesn’t get hit by bushes. (Look under the canopy/Zoom - in)
22CB3771-F861-498D-8D32-24A781903A79.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

Outdrz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, 525 Loader, 2060 Cutter, EA Toothbar, EA Box Blade, JD Disc and more
Feb 20, 2021
Ohio
This is a curved (wide-angle) rearview Golf-Cart mirror.... (Look under the canopy/Zoom - in)
Was having a really hard time finding that cool mirror... kept being distracted by the fact that you have TWO airplanes in your barn!! :geek:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Was having a really hard time finding that cool mirror... kept being distracted by the fact that you have TWO airplanes in your barn!! :geek:
I tried zooming/cropping that pic but the forum software then claimed the file was too large to upload.
The red one is my ‘53 Cessna 170B I’ve had for over 20 years since it won the Restoration award at Oshkosh. I’m retired from instructing professionally but the other is a ‘62 Cessna 172C bought for the purpose of teaching my adult son toward his private pilots license. (He’s an engineer and tired of dealing with the airlines for short meeting-trips. I wasn’t about to let the 170 be abused as a primary trainer.). He just passed his written exam and completed his solo-cross-country training.... we’ll be getting him ready for his check ride/practical exam now. The plan is to let him get a little time in it and then likely sell the 172 (make him pay for his own ride.) :LOL:

Seriously, it’s possible to buy a good-condition 172 to train in until obtaining the license, then selling it, usually for more than one paid for it.... than it is to rent one for the same purpose. He has to pay for the fuel and insurance and I’m donating my instructor services is the deal I offered him.... and I’ll get my money back on the 172 (and probably more) when finished with his training.
Here’s a pic of it on a trip to visit friends who live in a fly-in community down in the Houston area.

8EB72BDF-7355-4C27-B395-15B6C4B4C472.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I wouldn't thought I would use mirrors on the tractor, but since I have them on there, I use them a lot. Amazing how handy they are.

Mossy dell

Equipment
B2601 (2021) JD970 (1998) B2100 (1991) B6100E (1988)
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I got real tired of trying to turn around in my seat to see if anyone was trying to pass me on my road as I was traveling back and forth to my neighbor’s house half mile up the road as well as working around the trees on my land, so I decided I needed to install mirrors on my B2601.

It was a great little project, and fun to do.

I bought two Golf Cart side mount mirrors from Amazon for just under $12. Flat stock stock 1/16 X 1 1/2 x 36” long from Lowes for under $8. The Kubota Orange paint and a couple 3/8” bolts with fender washers drilled out to 3/8” and Nyloc nuts and an old truck inner tube was on hand.

Mocked up the mirrors on tractor with the flat stock and a couple vise grips to see what I needed to do, and what size to cut. I used the existing holes on the towers so no drilling was done on tractor at all.

I marked and cut the flat stock at 9 1/2” each, and drilled the appropriate mounting holes. Traced and cut out the inner tube pieces to go between the mirror mounts and flat stock to minimize vibration. I installed inner tube between the flat stock and towers on tractor to keep the flat stock in place when I tightened everything down and to minimize vibration there as well.

Everything worked well so I took it all apart and sanded the flat stock, washed with mineral spirits and primed and painted with the Kubota paint. Let it all dry over night and mounted everything once again for the final install.
Project was easy and very inexpensive. Mirrors are adjustable in and out as well as up and down. I kept the mirrors in tight and inside the line of front to back tires in case I was to rub a tree on my property I would not rip off the mirrors. I can fold the mirrors all the way in if needed as well. I now have full view of the rear while sitting in my seat!
I have a bunch of before and after pics of what I did and used, but did not think you wanted to be bored with it all so here are the final pics of completion.
View attachment 57523
Frank, this is so helpful. I'd LOVE mirrors on my new B2601 and am not very handy. I think I could do this, however. But is there any chance you have the link for the exact mirrors you bought?

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Frank, this is so helpful. I'd LOVE mirrors on my new B2601 and am not very handy. I think I could do this, however. But is there any chance you have the link for the exact mirrors you bought?
$12.99.
So far they are holding up very well. I did change one thing since making the mounts. I had a couple pieces of bed angle iron laying around so I drilled and mounted them to replace the flat stock. I think this set up eliminated any vibration from operating in the woods.
The angle is 1"X1". The angle does give it a lot more stability. Something to think about if you have the angle.

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Thanks so much, Frank! So those are some stout pieces of steel if they are 1" thick! Do you think doubling or quadrupling the regular flat stock would achieve the same effect?

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Thanks so much, Frank! So those are some stout pieces of steel if they are 1" thick! Do you think doubling or quadrupling the regular flat stock would achieve the same effect?
No, not one inch thick. They are 1" X1" wide. Bed rails are I think 1/8" thick.
I just found that the angle stiffens it up quite a bit. The flat stock worked very well also. I was happy with both mounts.
If you need any other info, just shoot me a message and I will answer any questions.

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Thanks again, Frank. I can't picture this angle iron mount though! If and when you get a chance, please post another picture!?

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Thanks again, Frank. I can't picture this angle iron mount though! If and when you get a chance, please post another picture!?
I thought I took a couple more pics of the new mounts, but can't seem to find them. I will try to remember to take a couple tomorrow and post for you.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
OK, got some pics this morning for you Dell.
I show the pics on tractor how the new angle iron looks.
I also show some pics on the bench of the flat stock on left and the angle on right. I think the flat stock is 1 1/2" wide and angle is 1X1 wide. I believe I made the angle iron 9 1/2" long, but you need to decide how high or low you want your mirrors to sit while you are on tractor.
I am 5' 11" and felt after clamping the angle to the FEL tower at various heights I found the total length to be 9.5" best for me. I tried using washers on the inside of the tower but found they collapse inward to the hole when I tried to tighten the bolt so I took a small square of the flat bar and made my own thick washer that would not bend.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more info. Glad to help in any way I can.

Attachments

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
Very cool, Frank! It is clear. I can see where the angle iron would be stronger. Glad that helps with the vibration. I wonder if a strip of adhesive rubber would help too. In any case, this is a great blueprint. It seems there is a market for a mirror kit, but I bet the issue is that there are so many models of tractors and loaders, and they are constantly changing.

Frankb

Equipment
Apr 3, 2011
Person County NC
Very cool, Frank! It is clear. I can see where the angle iron would be stronger. Glad that helps with the vibration. I wonder if a strip of adhesive rubber would help too. In any case, this is a great blueprint. It seems there is a market for a mirror kit, but I bet the issue is that there are so many models of tractors and loaders, and they are constantly changing.
I tried using a cut of truck inner tube between the bar and tower. Did not like that so removed it. I did keep the piece of inner tube between the mirror mount and angle iron because there are two bolts holding and not one like in the tower's existing hole. I did use nylock nuts so nothing would vibrate loose between angle and tower. So far, so good.
Good luck with your project, and make sure to take pics and post them for others.

Mossy dell

Equipment
Jul 20, 2020
sw VA
I installed some quick and dirty mirrors that work fine. Golf cart mirrors held on by small, round, powerful magnets. They move side to side and up and down, don't vibrate to speak of, and allow me a rear view.

Mirrors for $17: "Moveland Universal Golf Cart Side View Mirrors Compatible with EzGo Club Car Yamaha, Moveland RHOX Style Accessories":

amazon.com/gp/product/B073YLF753/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Magnets for $15: "Super Strong Neodymium Cup Magnet 1.26" Countersunk Permanent Magnet, The World’s Strongest & Most Powerful Rare Earth Magnets by Applied Magnets with Screws 8Pc":

amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4OC1IN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My only concern is how the mirrors will hold up, but replacement is cheap and by then there may be a proper bolt-on kit someone is selling. The magnets are super strong, however. The mirrors adjust so easily they may be likely to get moved accidentally a lot. But to have rear view at all is a big win for me and my stiff old neck and back.

Mirror Left, Garage 8-21.jpg
Mirror Left, Outside 8-21.jpg
Mirror Right, Outside 8-21.jpg