A really bad day

biketopia

Equipment
B2650, RK 60" BB, 42" tiller, 72" LP FM, Forks, Grapple, FEL
Feb 15, 2024
Warrenton VA
Thanks for sharing the pictures and story. Good cautionary tale of do's & don'ts with a 3ph and the possibility of a reinforcement bracket is alway sweet!. When I was shopping for my tractor I went back & forth on backhoe or not. Heard of a lot of horror stories of using a 3ph backhoe & figured with the added cost and minimal use i had, I could rent a mini ex quite a few times over if needed.

Reactions: 1 user

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Update #1
Dealer estimated $8500 to repair. Parts seem to be available but won't know for sure until order is placed. The dealer stated price may go up depending on what they find during disassembly.
North Idaho Wolfman Nailed the repair estimate.
My relative guessed $3k tops and was shocked at the repair estimate.

Some details on what happened. Neighbor was box blading gravel driveway. Left side pin on box blade failed, was connected properly ( I don't know the details). Box blade tripped and flipped up jamming top link and right lift arm. Neighbor stated it about threw him out of the seat when it happened.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Update #1
Dealer estimated $8500 to repair. Parts seem to be available but won't know for sure until order is placed. The dealer stated price may go up depending on what they find during disassembly.

Some details on what happened. Neighbor was box blading gravel driveway. Left side pin on box blade failed, was connected properly ( I don't know the details). Box blade tripped and flipped up jamming top link and right lift arm. Neighbor stated it about threw him out of the seat when it happened.

Just a normal (and expensive) accident. I have had an implernent do that but with less spectacular outcome. Frankly I am surprised the estimate is that low.

Dan

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
I just looked at my L3901 and seems pretty easy. Unfortunately I am in no position to take even something.that basic on right now.

Dan

Hopefully you start feeling better soon, Dan!

I will have to take a look at mine and see what I can do. I definitely want to reinforce this area after seeing this... I had a huge log sitting on top of my box blade last week pulling it out of the woods. Glad I didn't tear anything up....

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thanks for sharing the pictures and story. Good cautionary tale of do's & don'ts with a 3ph and the possibility of a reinforcement bracket is alway sweet!. When I was shopping for my tractor I went back & forth on backhoe or not. Heard of a lot of horror stories of using a 3ph backhoe & figured with the added cost and minimal use i had, I could rent a mini ex quite a few times over if needed.
IMHO, your logic is only partially correct.
Yes.....you could rent, ...multiple times!

The real issue is: would you rent,.... every single time that you needed to lift/dig/move something?
The inconvenience issue becomes major, with multiple rentals.

Bottom line, is that an owned BH is instantly available all day, every day.
An amazingly useful tool, even if used less than an average of one hour each week.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Update #1

And yea, adding the top link reinforcing bracket wouldn't have done any good in this case.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Update #1

Wow! That's an awful thing to have happen given that the operator didn't necessarily do anything wrong.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:
In today's world an Autocad or similar drawing file is all the CNC shop needs. I do 2D steel and aluminum flatwork parts from DXF files all the time. Its cheap and fast!!

It was a LOT faster for me to make a wooden template than to bootup the PC with Autocad lite and try to draw on the screen what I wanted. Today another friend just takes 3-4-5 pictures of an object, inputs into his computer and 'magically' his source code converts into code to run his homemade CNC machine to carve out the 'object d'art'.

as for the accident, it's part of the 3 point hitch design. That accident can't happen when running Allis-Chalmers Snap-Coupler equipment. Lift latches disengage when plow hits immovable rock.

considering labour is $100 per hour...40 hours is $4K..one of those 'time is money' deals. If there's a cab on the tractor I can see the cost going a LOT higher.

GrizBota

Equipment
L3830HST/LA724, B2601/LA435/RCK54-32, RCR1872, CDI 66”grapple, pallet forks
Apr 26, 2023
Oregon
My L3800 is a 2013 also.
After seeing this someone posted mine is in showroom condition.
The owner beat the hell out of this one.
I'll remember to treat my top link with care.
lol. That one hit every branch on the way though the ugly tree. If in the exterior cosmetics are in that bad a shape, I’m thinking the rest of it might have had a rough life too.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
re:
In today's world an Autocad or similar drawing file is all the CNC shop needs. I do 2D steel and aluminum flatwork parts from DXF files all the time. Its cheap and fast!!

It was a LOT faster for me to make a wooden template than to bootup the PC with Autocad lite and try to draw on the screen what I wanted. Today another friend just takes 3-4-5 pictures of an object, inputs into his computer and 'magically' his source code converts into code to run his homemade CNC machine to carve out the 'object d'art'.

as for the accident, it's part of the 3 point hitch design. That accident can't happen when running Allis-Chalmers Snap-Coupler equipment. Lift latches disengage when plow hits immovable rock.

considering labour is $100 per hour...40 hours is $4K..one of those 'time is money' deals. If there's a cab on the tractor I can see the cost going a LOT higher.
FWIW, Labor rate in central N.C. is $150 per hour.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
IMHO, your logic is only partially correct.
Yes.....you could rent, ...multiple times!

The real issue is: would you rent,.... every single time that you needed to lift/dig/move something?
The inconvenience issue becomes major, with multiple rentals.

Bottom line, is that an owned BH is instantly available all day, every day.
An amazingly useful tool, even if used less than an average of one hour each week.
I would disagree. 3 point hitch backhoes IMO are not worth the risk of damaging the tractor. TLB machines are a different animal and can handle the added stress of backhoe weight and forces required for digging.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Wow! That's an awful thing to have happen given that the operator didn't necessarily do anything wrong.
I do feel sorry for the neighbor and the cost to repair. I have no idea what it will take for him to step up to pay for the repair.

What I have learned from this is you can borrow my tractor but I will be the operator. This only applies to a close circle of family and friends.

I currently have KTAC and in a few months my tractor will be paid off. After that I will have some type of coverage like KTAC to cover me when on family property but not personal property.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I would disagree. 3 point hitch backhoes IMO are not worth the risk of damaging the tractor. TLB machines are a different animal and can handle the added stress of backhoe weight and forces required for digging.
I have owned 2 dedicated TLB machines, over a period of 37 years.
I was NOT referring to 3 pt. hitch backhoe attachments.
I never have,.... nor ever would....., buy one of those!

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
yikes $150 per hour !!!!
So a guy 'flippin burgers' has to work TWO days to get an hour of tractor shop time ??
Sadly the wrench turner is getting maybe $25 per hour with no benefits. AGG/Construction Mechanic turnover in this area is ridiculous. Quality of repairs is also a problem im my area. If you do find a shop that does good work, the wait to get repairs is several weeks.