A really bad day

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan, you must be a youngster! I was around before Color TV and certainly long before anybody had a thought about a personal computer.

Internet? I feel like I was middle-aged when the Internet came about… Might've been younger… But certainly in my 30s.
I was 19 and I can tell you almost to the hour when I first encountered the "internet". It was just before lunch Jan 2, 1971. I had just finished new studenl employee checkin at the David Taylor Model Basin in Bethesda MD and we were being introduced to our new colleages in the Advanced Mathematics Department. Mr Tinker was seated in front of a PDP-11 console in the main machine room telling us how he was writing code to allow the Arpanet IMP (PDP-11) to talk to the new CDC 6700 supercomputer. That was the start of a lifelong friendship.

Dan

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Dan, you must be a youngster! I was around before Color TV and certainly long before anybody had a thought about a personal computer.

Internet? I feel like I was middle-aged when the Internet came about… Might've been younger… But certainly in my 30s.
I was around before TV as you call it today. First, it was television, then the boob tube, and now TV.

CGMKCM

Equipment
RVT-1100C, ZD323, L4760
Jan 26, 2021
Randolph county N.C.
Back on topic...

If I remember correctly, the claim is that one of the pins holding the box blade to one of the lower link arms broke.

edit: from post #63: "Some details on what happened. Neighbor was box blading gravel driveway. Left side pin on box blade failed, was connected properly ( I don't know the details). Box blade tripped and flipped up jamming top link and right lift arm. Neighbor stated it about threw him out of the seat when it happened."

This caused the box,blade to shift away from the side that the pin broke on, obviously moving backwards away from the tractor.

I'm having trouble seeing how that would cause the other lower link on the other side to violently raise upwards, if the tractor was moving in the forward direction.

I can see how that would happen if the tractor was moving backwards… I think I can see it anyway.

But moving forward, something isn't registering. Did this event happen when the operator was pushing backwards with the box blade?

Sorry for the simple question, but I obviously must've missed something… I would really like to understand what happened to cause this damage.

I mean what I need to understand, is why the lift arm actually went up and caused the housing to break, if the tractor was moving forward.

It just seems like if the box blade broke free from one side and that side was back furthest from the tractor and digging into the ground, that it would cause the lower arm to go down rather than up. If the tractor was moving forward.

What am I missing?
Getting answers out of the neighbor is like pulling teeth. It turns out he was backing (pushing gravel) when the box blade disconnected on the left side arm. He is trying hard to get homeowners insurance to cover the damage.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
gee PDP-11 ? That was NEW for me....wished I'd kept the mag core from the PDP-8s I worked on.... I did keep the PDP-5 emblems ,from the 1st PDP-5 in Ontario though.
The LSI-11 was a nice little machine ! Don't miss the Teletype ASR-33s !!

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Getting answers out of the neighbor is like pulling teeth. It turns out he was backing (pushing gravel) when the box blade disconnected on the left side arm. He is trying hard to get homeowners insurance to cover the damage.
The line of action was towards the tractor and upwards so that makes perfect sense.

My homeowners has been excellent when I experienced some building damage losses but I am pretty sure they would not cover an event like this.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
gee PDP-11 ? That was NEW for me....wished I'd kept the mag core from the PDP-8s I worked on.... I did keep the PDP-5 emblems ,from the 1st PDP-5 in Ontario though.
The LSI-11 was a nice little machine ! Don't miss the Teletype ASR-33s !!
Core memory was the standard main memory for much of the PDP-11 product line up to and including some of the LSI-11s. Kind of spooky to power a machine up and have it resume execution just like nothing happened....

I dont think I ever saw a PDP-11 with ASR anything for a console. Decwriter, either RS232 or current loop, was standard equipment.

Dan

Last edited: