A little moral dilemma

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Like many others have said, go for it. If you leave it to your kids, they will blow it 100x faster than it took you to earn it. Besides, have you ever seen a BRINKS truck in anyones funeral procession ? Get exactly what you want, and then some. It,s your cash, don,t ever feel guilty spending it.
And do not forget to keep the old one! Two tractors are better than one!

Reactions: 1 users

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Are you suggesting prices might be better during rioting?
Do they have senior citizen looting hours? I think Skeets would qualify.

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Skeets, I think you left the e off on your original post about moral dilemma. I think it should have been morale dilemma. Like the old roman saying was "the beatings will continue until the morale improves". Save yourself the beatings and buy a new tractor!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Do they have senior citizen looting hours? I think Skeets would qualify.
No, it will more likely be lower prices to get the seniors out to purchase goods! The looting is being done by those with no money. The seniors are the ones with the funds! If Skeets checks with the dealer they may even make arrangements to pick him up to make the purchase. Kind of like voting.

Reactions: 1 user

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
IDK, a tractor is like a wife, sort of. You find one you like, the two of you work together to make a better life. Just because she gets old is no reason to kicker her to the curb. Now if she died or ran off, thant certainly check out what is available....
Though on the financial side, a new tractor may be cheaper to own. You can also not take it with you. When my dad was getting up there, I told him he should fill the house with topless 20 year old French girls, and die with a single nickle. He wanted to leave his kids with something. What resulted was half being eaten up in lawsuits. You worked for it, you enjoy it.

Palmettokat

Equipment
M6800, B2710, L6060, Volvo 5 ton excavator and implements.
Apr 21, 2020
South Carolina
It would only be a moral dilemma if your kids needed food or clothing:)

Get the tractor!
I am sure we all agree if that was the case, there would be no dilemma.

Skeets, one other reason to get the tractor. I do appreciate money from any source. But I rather have a knife, gun, tractor or such that a love one owned and used. Especially if there was a shared event with me and it with them. In my down sizing having issue selling two tractors as they were part of memories of a grandson or my father in law attached to them. Am bringing one back home in next few days that has been for sale partly it was tractor my oldest grandson learned to drive on but more so the last one my father in law ever sat on. Last major decision he helped me with also. Buy the tractor and involve your off springs in it helping them learn the joy and benefits. Something they all can retain and share.

Gene Blister

Equipment
2019 Kubota B2601, FAL LA435, Snow Blower BX2822A, Land Pride rear blade RB1572
Aug 4, 2019
Cocolalla, Idaho
“As my dear husband Efram Levi used to say, ‘Money, you’ll pardon the expression, is like manure. It must be spread around encouraging things to grow!’ “
~~Dolly Levi, “The Matchmaker”

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets - our BX2360 tractors are about the same age.

I've looked/shopped a couple times.

Still driving the BX2360....

That said, I've considered keeping the BX for mowing and snowblowing, and maybe something a little bigger just for loader/dirt work.... My Dad keeps telling me I need a bigger machine.

You push snow...those new-fangled SSQA blades are kinda neat. I used one to do a friends driveway when he was laid up.

Like some guys have said, your BX might be happier with a buddy!

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
One thing to consider is that you will likely have to buy new implements for a new tractor. If cost is any part of your consideration whether or not to buy, think about the cost of new implements to fit the new tractor.

On the other hand, if you are thinking about staying with the same size tractor as your BX2360, then you won't need to buy new implements. If all you are doing is looking at the newer models of the same size as what you already have, then you really don't need a new one. What you have is tractor lust. The newer, shinier, tractor is just a passing fancy. Have a beer and think about something else.

David Page

Equipment
1974 L260, 6" bush hog, subsoiler, spring tooth harrow, boom pole, 2 bottom plow
Jun 25, 2013
Dexter, ME
Yeah thats what I thought guys. You are all right of course, easy of operation, bright and shiny. And being frugal cause I mean really how much more time do I have left, and yeah I cant take it with me. And no one can make the choice for me, maybe wait till after November and see what happens,, I am so confused :)
I wouldn't mind a new or newer one with 4WD and a bucket either. BUT I'm don't have payments on anything and I don't how things will be after Nov. either.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Thinking about your question again...would you be able to keep the tractor and purchase a skid steer or loader that has different capabilities to increase your ability to play/work? If you could get an articulated skid steer or loader and do some small jobs for some income that would be an ideal plan.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
So Skeets, have you been out tractor shopping yet?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
What you need is a new puppy!
Yeppers,, I have been thinking about maybe a little beagle gip ... Dont know if I could run the fields any more with her but it might be fun just to listen to a beagle singing again

Kurtee

Equipment
BX2660, BX2680 cab, JD 2032R, Honda 5518, JD X590, JD X739
Oct 3, 2013
Nicollet, mn
I think if you need a tractor buy it. Need or want - same difference. I personally have what I need plus. I am also integrated with orange and green comingled. I just need more time to bond with them.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yeppers,, I have been thinking about maybe a little beagle gip ... Dont know if I could run the fields any more with her but it might be fun just to listen to a beagle singing again
I'd like to point out that a new puppy and a new tractor are not mutually exclusive! :D

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
No more new pups or tractors here. In fact I believe in the spring I'll be listing some of my equipment on Tractor House for sale.

Time to think about downsizing.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Sell at the haying equipment, then you can ride around the neighborhood on the side-by-side harassing the neighbors. Start when you want, quit when you want and not be concerned about the weather.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
No more new pups or tractors here. In fact I believe in the spring I'll be listing some of my equipment on Tractor House for sale.

Time to think about downsizing.

If this virus thing ever goes away you might want to contact the FFA chapter in your school and teach the next generation how to hay.

You need to share some of the knowledge that you have acquired over the years. Might be able to have the students come to you and do the work for you. This would be under your supervision and allow you to keep your skin in the game without the hard work. Some body needs to teach these knuckle-heads how to do something besides stare at a computer.