50 hour service filter question

GamblerAcres

Oct 29, 2018
Ohio
MX5200 hst. The transmission and hydraulic filters were torqued on there pretty good. Do the replacement filters need to be that tight or is hand tight ok like every other filter I've ever changed? I've never experienced filters that tight before.

Digger Dager

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M59 TLB, B3200 w/front snow blower, 3 @ ZD326 62" rear discharge mowers
GamblerAcres

If the filters are Kubota parts, they say right on them to tighten 3/4 turn past when the gasket touches. We have had several filters from the factory that we ended up destroying the filter to get them off.

Make sure you put oil on the gasket before assembly. That sure makes a difference.

Digger

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Thinking back to when I first serviced both my M's (long ago), I seem to remember that the hydraulic filters (2 on each tractor) were on so tight, I had to poke a screwdriver through them and lever them off.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
A good hand tight will be fine. Turn it down good and snug and turn it another quarter turn.
GamblerAcres

If the filters are Kubota parts, they say right on them to tighten 3/4 turn past when the gasket touches. We have had several filters from the factory that we ended up destroying the filter to get them off.

Make sure you put oil on the gasket before assembly. That sure makes a difference.

Digger
both of these are correct.....
tis one different thing to when the gasket "touches" and when it gets snug.....

Snug plus ....1/4 turn.....not impossible to get off later.

THE only thing FRAM did right was place that grip paint on the ends of their filters........wish KUBOTA did !:D;)

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
My first filter change was extra difficult. I think in part because they were put on dry (gasket not oiled) and because after they were put on, they were 'extra attached' with a nice coat of Kubota Gray paint.
Like others, I just put them on hand tight/snug, 99% of the time, I can remove them by hand too (especially if wearing nitrile gloves.)
The worse thing that has happened with not cranking them down is I had a few drips of oil. Another 1.8th of a turn and the drip stops. I've never seen a filter back off. I have seen filter so tight it became a major ordeal to get the filter off. The casing crushed by the filter wrench, a big easy out needed to break it loose. Ugh.
My experience is it is often better to risk a fastener (or part) get loose than so be so tight it cannot be removed without destruction or worse, stripped threads and cracked parts.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I keep a few strips of those stick on adhesive stair tread strips in the tool box. If I have a really stuck filter its probably one that some other wrench ape installed. A wrap of friction tape stuck on the filter and a good strap wrench have always worked for me.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
My first service with the 3560 the filters were real tough to get off. 1st attempt I twisted the wrench up pretty good so I went and picked up 2 more and used both on the filter in order to loosen them. I thought about doing what Flip said however I was worried the filter would just rip then I'd really be up the creek so I left that as a last resort.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Seems every factory filter I've changed is tight. Worst was my Harley Davidson. Real tight and little room.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

Muzzy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Feb 13, 2019
WNY
I have had use a pipe wrench, short, sharp thrusts to crack the seal

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
My first service with the 3560 the filters were real tough to get off. 1st attempt I twisted the wrench up pretty good so I went and picked up 2 more and used both on the filter in order to loosen them. I thought about doing what Flip said however I was worried the filter would just rip then I'd really be up the creek so I left that as a last resort.

Me, I like the poke a hole in a filter with a screwdriver anyway. It ets the filter drain before removing, less mess, works especially well with automotive filters that always seem to be in a bad location. Pretty much SOP with me now.

I do believe oiling the gasket prior to spinning on makes a big difference when removing them.

Gillie Dog

Equipment
L2501 HST, FEL, Forks Attachment, Harrow Disc, etc.
Dec 12, 2018
Southern California
I thought about doing what Flip said however I was worried the filter would just rip then I'd really be up the creek so I left that as a last resort.
Watched my dad do that in the 1960's and have had to do it a few times myself over the last 40 years. Have never ripped one in half but thought about the possibility. Had to do it on a Honda generator last year, absolutely no room around it for any other option.

It does work if needed.:)

GD