5' Brush Mower

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Anyone have any experience with a mower like this? Four blades spinning off of one gearbox.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/5362786461.html
Cat,

that thar reminds me of my old stump jumper, it had a round disk and then only two arms.....this one skipped the disk part!;)

looks like it is rather heavy duty! Only down side I can see is - you gotta sharpen twice as many blades!:D:)

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
2 downsides that I see...

It can be a real bear to put that seal in (getting the blade holder off the gearbox shaft).

It's a trail-type machine, takes 40 acres to turn around, with only 2 universals on the drive line. You might be able to convert it to 3 point type, if you can find a parts unit.:D:D

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I got a twin spindle with 4 blades on each in trade one time, never used it though. They guy I got it from said it cut very well.

The up side to a trail type is you don't get any where near the trash thrown up on you while cutting but like Diydave said it takes a huge area to turn around.

rymerbill

Equipment
B2150, BX2200
Aug 31, 2015
Lexington Park
Anyone have any experience with a mower like this? Four blades spinning off of one gearbox.

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/5362786461.html
That hog looks very old. Extra bearings for the driveshaft, manual lift with a crank, etc. To be honest I'd look elsewhere UNLESS that is the kind of machine you want. My cousin has a very old hog comparable to that one but lower and not as deep a box. It has 4 blades and no stump jumper, just crossed bars for blade holders. He pulled it with a 1950's Farmall H. Replaced the gearbox once simply because it was worn out. Adapted another old gearbox we got for free. I have to agree with the other person about smooth cutting -- if you get the blades good and sharp that thing will cut grass very nearly as smooth as a good finish mower.

rymerbill

Equipment
B2150, BX2200
Aug 31, 2015
Lexington Park
2 downsides that I see...

It can be a real bear to put that seal in (getting the blade holder off the gearbox shaft).

It's a trail-type machine, takes 40 acres to turn around, with only 2 universals on the drive line. You might be able to convert it to 3 point type, if you can find a parts unit.:D:D
True, but if the shaft is not wobbling just use what they call "00 Grease" in it instead of 90wt gear oil. You can get that goo at Tractor Supply in squeeze bottles. Unless the seal is totally gone you'll be OK with that for lube purposes. Yes, it does take a lot of space to turn around. The 3pt type is drastically better than the pull-behind in most ways.