5 Amp "Key Stop" Fuse blowing

wng-2

Equipment
L4400
Apr 12, 2009
Berwick, Maine
2009 L4400 Hydro. My auto mechanic told me over the phone it could be a safety switch. I cannot see anything obvious on the seat switch. I cannot find the switch for the direction control pedal. Any ideas? Thanks very much.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
2009 L4400 Hydro. My auto mechanic told me over the phone it could be a safety switch. I cannot see anything obvious on the seat switch. I cannot find the switch for the direction control pedal. Any ideas? Thanks very much.
Look closely at the wiring for the seat switch where it flexes as the seat moves up and down.

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You're probably looking for a bare spot worn on the wire or where a rodent chewed through the insulation. This spot may or may not be in the vicinity of the seat switch.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
That model doesn't have the HST switch that is problematic.
It does have a neutral switch, it's on the left hand side of the HST.

wng-2

Equipment
L4400
Apr 12, 2009
Berwick, Maine
The fuse does not blow with this relay unplugged. I will check with the dealer tomorrow. Unless there is a good online source?

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The fuse does not blow with this relay unplugged. I will check with the dealer tomorrow. Unless there is a good online source?
You have to upload pictures for them to post correctly.

I have a feeling that your talking about the OPC, and yes it could be bad, but most of the time it's a bad input that is causing the issue.

Get a 5 amp circuit breaker, (non self resetting) and use that to troubleshoot the issue, it will give you an audible click when whatever is tripping the fuse happens.

wng-2

Equipment
L4400
Apr 12, 2009
Berwick, Maine
You have to upload pictures for them to post correctly.

I have a feeling that your talking about the OPC, and yes it could be bad, but most of the time it's a bad input that is causing the issue.

Get a 5 amp circuit breaker, (non self resetting) and use that to troubleshoot the issue, it will give you an audible click when whatever is tripping the fuse happens.
I thought the pictures were displaying when I posted yesterday. Anyhow, the problem is solved. It was what I think is the glow plug timer. It lives behind the dash, upper right if you are sitting on the seat. I will attempt to attach a picture of the part and invoice. Thanks very much.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I thought the pictures were displaying when I posted yesterday. Anyhow, the problem is solved. It was what I think is the glow plug timer. It lives behind the dash, upper right if you are sitting on the seat. I will attempt to attach a picture of the part and invoice. Thanks very much.
That is the OPC, it's the computer that controls the safety switch inputs and start / run outputs.

Glad you got it fixed. :D

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Welcome to the forum, and glad you got your problem solved, but that part looks like it's upper right of the kitchen sink! :D

wng-2

Equipment
L4400
Apr 12, 2009
Berwick, Maine
That is the OPC, it's the computer that controls the safety switch inputs and start / run outputs.

Glad you got it fixed. :D
Any idea what OPC stands for? My neighbor, who has a 37 year old Kubota, and helped me get mine towed inside, never heard of such a thing. I don't think he's had any electrical failures in all those years. I am glad mine is fixed. Hopefully this helps somebody else, and saves some diagnosis time.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Any idea what OPC stands for? My neighbor, who has a 37 year old Kubota, and helped me get mine towed inside, never heard of such a thing. I don't think he's had any electrical failures in all those years. I am glad mine is fixed. Hopefully this helps somebody else, and saves some diagnosis time.
Operator Presence Control

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Ah, no wonder the 1982 Kubota didn't have it. I wonder if there is a way to bypass this $89 liability device?
Yea you could rewire half the tractor and disable it... So no, not very easily. ;)

wng-2

Equipment
L4400
Apr 12, 2009
Berwick, Maine
And just like modifying the ROPS, it would make the tractor technically us-saleable.
Indeed, it's just frustrating that we are provided with more and more road blocks in the name of safety, which is really liability. These companies are not concerned about our safety. I was fortunate that a friend diagnosed this problem quickly. i got out of it for $89, and the tractor was down only a couple days. If I had to call the bandits, and they had to haul it off, it would have been a hefty bill. All to replace an over priced electronic gizmo that controls all the "safety" switches that protect the company against law suits resulting from customers doing stupid things....

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well you don't have to do something stupid to be killed on a tractor. There are a remarkably high number of tractor accidents every year. So it is not just the companies trying to avoid legal liabilities but also to keep a minor mishap from turning into a fatality.