3rd Function not working - L2501

Shell Shocked

Equipment
L4701 - L2501 - L2000
May 18, 2015
West TN, U S A
I have a 2019 L2501 with an installed 3rd function that works a grapple. I used it one day. with ZERO changes, I go to use it the next and it wont work. The up/down buttons will not engage the cylinder. I have a Lane shark bypass installed as well and it will swing the cylinder open. All other FEL bucket functions fine. Seems like the hydraulics and pump are working correctly.

I am thinking it is the electronics in the thumb switch. I tried to follow the thumb switch cords but didn't really get far.

Local shop said they are about a month out on servicing equipment.

I admittedly know very little outside of running a tractor especially hydraulics/electronics. Thought I would check here before digging to far into it.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
The on/off switch on the kubota 3rd function is absolute garbage. Mine failed last week, have a new switch coming ($150), but will prob just replace it with a toggle. It's a latching micro switch. If you pull the switch mechanism out from under the light, you may be able to hold it down in the on position, then see if you can cycle the 3rd function buttons.

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
The on/off switch on the kubota 3rd function is absolute garbage. Mine failed last week, have a new switch coming ($150), but will prob just replace it with a toggle. It's a latching micro switch. If you pull the switch mechanism out from under the light, you may be able to hold it down in the on position, then see if you can cycle the 3rd function buttons.
Could it be a blown fuse?

Shell Shocked

Equipment
L4701 - L2501 - L2000
May 18, 2015
West TN, U S A
Could it be a blown fuse?

I was wondering that and was the first place I went to look. Unfortunately for as long as I have had the tractor I never had a need to locate the fuse box. I looked everywhere for it except the 1 spot where it actually was. I believe I just found it this morning when I had a chance to googlize it. If it is on the left side of the machine I will be able to find out tomorrow or so on my next trip to the farm.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Im assuming your L uses the same junk kubota/land pride switch. Mine is fused to the 5amp "work light" circuit. Use caution because if you let any metal on the switch touch the joystick it will ground out and blow the fuse. This is wrapped with electric tape now, and if I need the grapple I wrap the tape so it pulls the switch closed and holds it closed. I will either replace with a proper toggle switch or let my dealer keep sending me new switches.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I have a 2019 L2501 with an installed 3rd function that works a grapple. I used it one day. with ZERO changes, I go to use it the next and it wont work. The up/down buttons will not engage the cylinder. I have a Lane shark bypass installed as well and it will swing the cylinder open. All other FEL bucket functions fine. Seems like the hydraulics and pump are working correctly.

I am thinking it is the electronics in the thumb switch. I tried to follow the thumb switch cords but didn't really get far.

Local shop said they are about a month out on servicing equipment.

I admittedly know very little outside of running a tractor especially hydraulics/electronics. Thought I would check here before digging to far into it.

Any help is appreciated.
My Summit 3rd function kit valve relays each have a built in LED/Neon indicator light that glows when each relay is energized by the appropriate buttons. If you can operate your in/out buttons (or have help do it) and watch the actual relays you may see the indicator lights glow. That would tell you they're getting energized or not. Not sure if the other 3rd function brands have that indicator light.....but I would suspect so.

You can see the indicator light lit in post #18 in my install write up here:
Summit 3rd Function Kit Install on Kubota B2650 | OrangeTractorTalks - Everything Kubota

Reactions: 1 user

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
My 3rd function is wired directly to the battery. My 3rd function stopped working last year and I found the wire for it was placed under the hydraulic hoses at the loader control stick. The weight of the hoses chafed the 3rd function electrical wire and was blowing the fuse. My line from the switch runs directly to the battery and it has at inline fuse at the battery connection.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
I was wondering that and was the first place I went to look. Unfortunately for as long as I have had the tractor I never had a need to locate the fuse box. I looked everywhere for it except the 1 spot where it actually was. I believe I just found it this morning when I had a chance to googlize it. If it is on the left side of the machine I will be able to find out tomorrow or so on my next trip to the farm.
The 3rd function fuse is located by the positive battery post and is in line with the 3rd function wiring.

nbking

Equipment
L2501HST 4X4, Rtv-x900
Jul 8, 2018
Sonora, CA
My landpride third function was installed by the dealer, it is hot all the time. I have two green arrows that light up on my valve when I press the buttons, and can hear a click. Not sure where they tapped off for the power.

number two

Equipment
B3030HSDC L2501HST
Mar 26, 2021
Northern Lower Michigan
The Landpride installation instructions show hooking up the power lead to the positive battery terminal.
I raised this question with the dealer during my build,and they agreed and normally go to a switched terminal at the ignition switch.
Good Luck!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
On the standard L's (2501/3301/3901) the 3rd function runs off of the battery. Wire runs from the buttons in the loader joystick to the 3f solenoid, then continues down the right side of the engine and up to the battery. Fuse for it is right next to or sometimes behind the battery, comes off of the postitive batt cable. Or--more specifically that's where it "should" be according to the instructions. I saw some lazy tech at another store cut the fuse holder off and wire it directly to the battery. What an idiot. The solenoid is self-grounding and many many times I watched other unknowing (aka ignorant) techs just bolt the bracket on and go with it. It grounds through the bracket, so if the paint was thick enough and it wasn't tightened enough, it wouldn't ground-and then wouldn't work. I liked to take a little paint off of the mating surfaces.

Secondly the 3f valve that Kubota sells (Land pride) is kind of a stupid wiring setup. The instructions are about as clear as mud. Whoever wrote the instructions must have had ADHD. That or they were just plum dumb.

Shell Shocked

Equipment
L4701 - L2501 - L2000
May 18, 2015
West TN, U S A
Update on the situation. I have learned a few things. First a lot of people have an on off switch for their 3rd function. Second 3rd function has a hot wire that has a fuse and lastly located my fuse box.

I checked the fuse box the other day and everything looked in order. No fuses blown. My 3rd function does not have an on off switch. It was installed by the dealer. I dont know if this is right or wrong.

This evening I backtracked the hot wire to the the starter where I located a fuse. Pulled the fuse and it was fine. Stuck it back in and bummed that I haven't found the issue. Started the tractor up and worked the joystick and the grapple worked. Seems like the wiring at the fuse was loose or the fuse had worked out.

I appreciate all the help and responses. You all saved me a days worth of work to loading and hauling
20210603_185908.jpg
the tractor to the dealer to have them do no telling what.

I called the dealer and specifically asked them for pointers on where to look. I was disappointed with then the only response was given was to bring it in.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Update on the situation. I have learned a few things. First a lot of people have an on off switch for their 3rd function. Second 3rd function has a hot wire that has a fuse and lastly located my fuse box.

I checked the fuse box the other day and everything looked in order. No fuses blown. My 3rd function does not have an on off switch. It was installed by the dealer. I dont know if this is right or wrong.

This evening I backtracked the hot wire to the the starter where I located a fuse. Pulled the fuse and it was fine. Stuck it back in and bummed that I haven't found the issue. Started the tractor up and worked the joystick and the grapple worked. Seems like the wiring at the fuse was loose or the fuse had worked out.

I appreciate all the help and responses. You all saved me a days worth of work to loading and hauling View attachment 60954 the tractor to the dealer to have them do no telling what.

I called the dealer and specifically asked them for pointers on where to look. I was disappointed with then the only response was given was to bring it in.
Great news! Troubleshooting the system yourself is a great way to learn it and helps to remember where things go in the future. You could even flag that fuse holder shown with a "3rd Function Fuse" label, or make note of it in any documentation/manuals that you have.

I added a separate ON/Off power switch to my install just to de-energize the system when the grapple wasn't on the tractor. Especially so over the winter months.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
My apologies Shell, I thought the dealer installed system on your L would have been very similar to the B series. I'm glad you tracked it down. On the B2601, the 3rd function wiring gets plugged into a harness at the floor board, near its relays, then ends up in the fuse box with the factory bundle.

It's good you dont have this fragile microswitch on your loader stick. I will give this switch one more chance. The next time it breaks I will figure out what the 3 wires are at the switch, then wire it to a heavy duty, water resistant toggle, and mount it elsewhere.

KubotaDuluth

Equipment
L2501
Mar 14, 2021
Minnesota
One other thing to check is the 3rd function valve ground. The valve grounds to the tractor body via the mounting bolts, and as I found out, if you don't remove some of the paint from the mounting bracket, etc, it won't work. I installed the Landpride 3rd function myself on my L2501. Took my time running the wires, soldered all my connections, tried to do it nice. Was really really proud of myself after the final step of plugging the fuse in to test it, and nothing. After realizing there is no ground wire coming off the valve, I hooked up a jumper from the mounting bolts to the tractor body, and worked like a charm. So lesson learned.