3 point sprayer

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I'm interested in a boom sprayer that is light enough to fit my BX. Fimco brand seems to be the easiest to find but has bad reviews. Has to do with the attachments points on the tank stripping out and leaking. Anyone have any recommendation on one they own that is robust enough to last? Primary use will be for herbicide

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
If the fittings that are stripping out are plastic, I am betting the failures are user related.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA

Going on 3 years with a Fimco 40 gallon sprayer. I too seen the bad reviews but bought it anyways and have not had an issue. As far as the bolts stripping, i did not install the 4 bolts that attach the tank to the frame, the two straps over the too were sufficient enough. Also they also had bad reviews on the pumps but no issue there either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bmbbm

Equipment
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
Thanks for the reply. I might take the plunge and buy one anyway, and not attach the bolts. That seemed to be the biggest complaint.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I have a couple of Fimco spray tanks but they don't have the spring loaded arms, only a hand wand. I would imagine troubles with the unit you displayed is user error also. I'd imagine anyone without experience could easily bang one of those arms on a tree, house, fence and easily cause damage they would cry about.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I have a couple of Fimco spray tanks but they don't have the spring loaded arms, only a hand wand. I would imagine troubles with the unit you displayed is user error also. I'd imagine anyone without experience could easily bang one of those arms on a tree, house, fence and easily cause damage they would cry about.
D2, the arms will fold in if you run into something driving forward (Ive hit the fence line a time or two). There is holes to put a pin in to lock the arms but I dont use the pins.

As far as the OPs concern with the tank, there are 4 bolts that come up from the bottom side of the frame and thread into the tank. Most of the complaints were leaking there. Most likely they were over tightening them when they assembled and cracked the tank or vibrations over time and stress cracking. I just left the bolts out because the two straps hold the tank to the frame well enough.

Bmbbm

Equipment
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
Fordtech and D2. Do you know if Fimco sells their sprayers to other retailers and lets them rebrand them as their own. The local Orscheln Farm store has their own Country Tuff brand sprayer that looks and has the same specs as the Fimco. They are a little less expensive and right next door to my work place. I don't need it till summer anyway so i'm thinking if its the same thing I may watch there ads for a sale. Regardless of what I get I am going to follow your advice and not even install the bolts in the tank.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Bmbbm, I've had the same Fimco 25 gallon 12VDC sprayer for at least 30 years. At first it was mounted on a Honda 4 wheeler, then moved to a 3 pt carryall where it's remained for the last +/- 25 years. It's been bolted to the carryall framework using the integral mounts in the tanks bottom. It hasn't leaked yet. I keep waiting for the pump to finally give out. I have a spare pump on the shelf just so I don't have any down time when the original finally gives out. But it's like the energizer bunny and just keeps going. I made my own boom spray unit for it that routinely sprays 3 to 5 acres of lawn/ditch for weeds. Also for the last 18 years it's taken care of my 3 acre patch of tillable ground for both fertilizers and herbicides 2 to 3 times a summer. I think the key to its longevity is to religiously rinse out the tank and the pump after each and every use with plain fresh water only. the pump is also removed and stored inside over the winter. I agree with the others in that if someone is having excessive amounts of problems with this brand its likely due to abuse or misuse and lack of cleaning out the chemicals after each use.
Regards,
David

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Educate this city boy please. What are ya'll spraying with these ? I have been thinking spraying fence line with Eraser , Bahia grass killer on pastures if the Bermuda is doing better, and weed killer. I just spread pellatized lime which should help eliminate the grass burrs

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Educate this city boy please. What are ya'll spraying with these ? I have been thinking spraying fence line with Eraser , Bahia grass killer on pastures if the Bermuda is doing better, and weed killer. I just spread pellatized lime which should help eliminate the grass burrs
I use mine mostly for pest control. Fire ants and mosquitoes are crazy here (you probably have the same problem in Texas). My two little kids love being outside, but my son also likes to get into the ant hills to watch them all run out, which leads to him getting ate up by them. I spray about 4 acres every couple months to keep them down, making progress after a couple years of living out here. Also use it to spray brush/weed killer.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I don't have the boom, but I use mine to spray stumps after cutting them off. Usually using Tordon, Remedy and sometimes 2-4-D on thistles.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I use mine for whatever the situation calls for: Roundup for the gravel roadway and parking areas around the buildings. 2-4-d and other broadleaf herbicides and treatments for the lawn and ditch areas. Mosquito pesticides once or twice in the summer if they get too bad. Up start fertilizers, pre and post emergent herbicides for the 3 acre sweet corn patch. These are the things I can easily recall. For a low cost little sprayer they do a remarkably good job. A thorough cleaning and flushing right after spraying any chemicals is key to their longevity.
Regards,
david

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Granted I’m on smaller property of only a few acres, I use bxpanded tray and this 26 gallon tank from northern tool. It was about $250 they are pretty cheap. I used it on my old gator too it’s been holding up well over the last 4 years.

Birdadly

Sep 28, 2019
Wisconsin
I just bought the Fimco 40 gallon sprayer in hopes it does well for me next spring. End of Year clearance plus a $30/off anything coupon I figured I may as well try it out! If you get one, I hope we both end up with a good one! -Brad

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I'm interested in a boom sprayer that is light enough to fit my BX. Fimco brand seems to be the easiest to find but has bad reviews. Has to do with the attachments points on the tank stripping out and leaking. Anyone have any recommendation on one they own that is robust enough to last? Primary use will be for herbicide
This spring I bought a 55 gallon Agro-Chem three point mounted sprayer for use with my B3350. It has a 12' boom and a PTO driven pump. I bought the PTO pump because I plan to use it on my 20 acres of hay ground as well as my lawn. The dealer told me that the electric pump would not hold up for repetitive use on my hay ground. I bought the 12' boom rather than the available 16' boom to make it more manageable around obstacles on my lawn.

This is not a TSC outfit and costs considerably more than such but I hope to not buy another.

Due to weather related circumstances, I did not use it this year so can offer little more information at this time.

SDT

Last edited:

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
My 60 gallon fimco sprayer doesn't have bolts like that, it uses some sort of clamping system. I have really no complaints with mine.

The biggest thing is to always flush the pump out and store it with some sort of oil or rv antifreeze in it, and if you have the type that recirculates then when you use it the next time flush the oil out of the pump without recirculating it into the tank.

I did some modification to make the sprayer much easier to use With my PTO pump I used quick connect fittings to disconnect the pump from the tank so I can install it before hooking to the tank, and to allow me to actually drain the tank and flush the pump without recirculating back into the tank.

billmth

Equipment
L4701 HST, L2500, Landpride RCR 1860
Aug 21, 2018
Jacksonville, FL
I also have the 40 gal Fimco. Great sprayer but also leaked where the bolts enter the bottom of the tank from the frame. There was no user error. I hand tightened the bolts and lightly gave them another 1/4 turn with a wrench. After the second time I used it there was a drip from 2 of the bolts. After 3rd use all 4 bolts had a drip. Not good to drip roundup everywhere you go. Called Fimco and they sent replacement under warranty. By this time winter set in so I waited until spring to replace the tank. This time I only hand tightened bolts. By the time I got to the first food plot, roundup was pouring out of 3 of the bolts. Wish I thought of just using the bands like deerslayer. With warranty up I was screwed and frustrated. Went with the Fimco 60 because there are molded tabs that extend out of the bottom of tank and clamps hold it to frame. No penetrations into tank body. Fimco makes a great sprayer, just have a design flaw on the 40 gal tank.