3 point sprayer questions

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Originally posted in Projects, sorry...

Ive just about had it with my 25 gallon "put in the back of the cart and drive around leaking everywhere sprayer". Yesterday the screen got clogged with it full and I had to wrestle with the tank for about an hour trying to get to the screen. Then the pump died, again.

Anyway, I was looking around and got to wondering:

1. Any suggested brands?
2. PTO pump or electric
3. Boom or not? which leads me to....
4. Do they (anyone) make a tip for the boom that is designed for fence lines? Something that will spray maybe 2 feet wide that you can run next to the fence?

As always, any help would be appreciated.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
I don't have any suggestions on alternate sprayers/pump setups.....as I also use a small 25 gallon setup. I've had pretty good luck by thorough cleaning of the tank and flushing out the motor with straight water hooked into it with the garden hose after each and every herbicide spraying is done. I average 10 years out of the pumps.

Regarding the other part of your post: There are all kinds of different spray nozzles with different spray patterns available that will fit these sprayers. Usually any ag supply place like TSC, etc. will carry them. An online search for spray nozzles will get you all kinds of results. They also make caps/plugs so you can stop any nozzle position from spraying if you wanted to spray a narrow pattern using your existing full boom setup.

You could also buy the fittings and brackets to make your own custom boom for your fence spray pattern. Or mount them on your exisitng boom in the position to spray any direction you'd need. You could supply it by disconnecting the boom's supply hose and use that. Or get another length of tubing and the matching pump's quick coupler and it'd be a quick swap whenever needed.

At one time I had at least 3 different spray booms set up with different nozzles/patterns. One for lawn applications. One for band spraying sweet corn rows. And one for general wide coverage of the open areas.

David

edit: Keep in mind if you buy new nozzles......make sure the gallons per minute for each nozzle doesn't add up to more than your pump can supply at the pressure you use.

edit #2: Here is the new 3 point hitch setup I just fabbed together for the Fimco 25 gal. sprayer.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Ive just about had it with my 25 gallon "put in the back of the cart and drive around leaking everywhere sprayer". Yesterday the screen got clogged with it full and I had to wrestle with the tank for about an hour trying to get to the screen. Then the pump died, again.

1. Any suggested brands?
2. PTO pump or electric
4. Do they (anyone) make a tip for the boom that is designed for fence lines? Something that will spray maybe 2 feet wide that you can run next to the fence?

Good day. I am not really sure what the correct way to go is…I think most of the smaller units probably don’t have longevity in mind, but I could wrong…maybe check out a local orchard and see what they use…they most likely spray way more than a normal homeowner would.

beyond that, I have a fimco boomless sprayer and it has an electric pump, spray wand, and the nozzles which maybe do what you are asking related to driving along a fence. It does not have a boom though. It is intended I think for an atv or sxs. I use mainly on atv but it can be rigged up to set in a tail gate or a carry all. It works well, but I am not really sure how it will do over long term of ownership…at the price point I can’t imagine the pump will hold up long. The adjustment of the nozzles is pretty easy and it works really well (all nozzles are adjusted independently so it gives some options). I would not really consider it a commercial or ag use unit just based on the price point, but I really don’t know…I tend to think a production farmer has something better than what I’m using, but there is likely a price difference.

if I were buying again I’d probably consider something on a trailer…I only have open stations but I think when spraying a cab sure would be nice. 🥃

wendol

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST
Feb 5, 2014
North Tx

1. Any suggested brands?
2. PTO pump or electric

I have a 10 gallon tank mounted on the back of my riding mower with 12V pump (Nothern Tool) last about 3 years......however my go to is a 3 pt mounted 50 gallon (for the Kubota) with PTO pump and plumbed with choice of using 2 spray nozzles (8' swath) or a boom less nozzle, as well as a spray gun. This has proved to be the most dependable, versatile set up for my use.

The Hypro 21.8 GPM 6-roller cast iron sprayer below can be purchased at Tractor Supply for 159.99.

Also Teejet has an online catalog of spray tips, and a wealth of information.

Attachments

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

1. Any suggested brands?
2. PTO pump or electric

I have a 55 Gal Agri-Chem three point mounted sprayer with PTO driven pump and 12' boom that I use with my B3350. Works well and I've had no issues with it but the control to turn the boom on/off is very difficult to reach from the tractor seat and I have not modified it for easier use.

Be advised that one should specify the more expensive (stainless?) pump if one wishes to use caustic chemicals, e.g., Round Up and generic versions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
That guy Tractor Time with Tim did a video about 3 point sprayers a while back. I was just bored, so I can't comment on the information quality.

Upon further review, it appears that he has done 3 or 4 videos about sprayers.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I have a 10 gallon tank mounted on the back of my riding mower with 12V pump (Nothern Tool) last about 3 years......however my go to is a 3 pt mounted 50 gallon (for the Kubota) with PTO pump and plumbed with choice of using 2 spray nozzles (8' swath) or a boom less nozzle, as well as a spray gun. This has proved to be the most dependable, versatile set up for my use.

The Hypro 21.8 GPM 6-roller cast iron sprayer below can be purchased at Tractor Supply for 159.99.

I have that exact pump and a homebrew 3pt sprayer with 12' boom and handheld spray gun. I use it for spraying herbicides (glyphosate, 2-4-D, etc). In retrospect I saved very little by building it rather than buying a ready made unit. That said it works well on bigger jobs but is a bit of a pain for smsll stuff so I just bought a cheap ($99) 15 gallon 12v spot sprayer to go with it. If it lasts 2 seasons I will consider it a good investment. I also purchased a 12v electric sprayer valve for the 3pt unit - cant reach the manual valve from the seat on the new L3901.

Dan

1684926204653.jpeg

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: #4 fence lines....
one guy i know had just ONE boom, pivoted in the center, so he could JUST spray fence lines, either spray on driver's side or right side, depending on how the wind blew or the field he was in.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO

I have similar, and the last time I used it was about 3 or 4 years ago. Yesterday, I got it out again and hooked up, no joy. Long story short: though I had joggled it a bit to get any water out of the hose, before leaving it in my unheated pole barn all winter, enough water or at least dampness remained inside for it to rust up. It was basically seized up, so with nothing to lose I figured I took it apart. Simple enough, and with a sanding flapper wheel in my die grinder, I cleaned it all up, including the rollers, put it back together and ran 150 gallons thru it yesterday, all good. The lesson learned, is that mine has a little 1/8" pipe plug on the bottom, and NOW I know you're suppose to open that little plug to achieve full drainage of the unit before storing it, it also wouldn't hurt to spray WD-40, or light oil up in there and turn it a few times bevfore storage.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have similar, and the last time I used it was about 3 or 4 years ago. Yesterday, I got it out again and hooked up, no joy. Long story short: though I had joggled it a bit to get any water out of the hose, before leaving it in my unheated pole barn all winter, enough water or at least dampness remained inside for it to rust up. It was basically seized up, so with nothing to lose I figured I took it apart. Simple enough, and with a sanding flapper wheel in my die grinder, I cleaned it all up, including the rollers, put it back together and ran 150 gallons thru it yesterday, all good. The lesson learned, is that mine has a little 1/8" pipe plug on the bottom, and NOW I know you're suppose to open that little plug to achieve full drainage of the unit before storing it, it also wouldn't hurt to spray WD-40, or light oil up in there and turn it a few times bevfore storage.
I drain and flush mine each fall before pouring in a couple of gallons of RV antifreeze and operating until the antifreeze comes out of all nozzles including the wand. Never any problems.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I bought a 55 gallon FIMCO sprayer about seven years ago rebadged for General Implement. I made a number of posts about it recently here. It has a 10ft boom and Delavan rotary pump which seems to be a common model in these sprayers. Those pumps are overkill for these sprayers in terms of gpm so a lot of liquid goes back to the tank.

I don't know how many folks take the time to "calibrate" the sprayer but it's enlightening when you do. FIMCO had way too small of a return line back to the tank so pressure's (and flow rates) were ridiculously high. I now have the sprayer sorted out, but of course, like a complete moron I was was rushing to move the sprayer on a pallet before a recent trip and it fell over and broke off the control valve mounting flange. I ordered a new one from Amazon for around $45.

I might upgrade to the stainless steel pump one day, but for now it seems to be fine.

TheShadyKubota

Equipment
2021 BX2380 w/ a plethora of attachments
Apr 1, 2022
Manitoba, Canada
I picked up a 25 GAL sprayer (3PTH) from a coworker who was downsizing and it's to the naked eye a bit of a DIY special however it works ridiculously well (after I swapped out the fittings) with the 6-70 degree nozzles on the sprayer bar and then if I need to get up close and personal I turn the bar off and use the wand which I can adjust input via the turn screw and drive along my ditch line or tree line to spray. I use a 1.8 GPM pump on there powered by the 12volt battery and I can do about 3 acres going 3-5 MPH (slowest cruise control speed on my BX). The wand does have about 20' of hose on there so it's great to get into the corners or around hard to reach areas.

One day I'll do a complete overhaul but for now it works great (fingers crossed).

Attachments

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I use a 1.8 GPM pump on there powered by the 12volt battery and I can do about 3 acres going 3-5 MPH (slowest cruise control speed on my BX).
That 1.8 gpm is a lot more reasonable compared to the 8 gpm of the Delavan (@ 450 rpm) pump that I have. I could run a 20 ft boom, maybe bigger with that pump. It really is overkill.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
That 1.8 gpm is a lot more reasonable compared to the 8 gpm of the Delavan (@ 450 rpm) pump that I have. I could run a 20 ft boom, maybe bigger with that pump. It really is overkill.
I think my pump is also about the same size (1.8 gpm) and it's just barely adequate. Something in the 3 - 4 gpm range would be perfect for a couple of reasons. One, it would allow for more agitation when desired. And secondly, you could use a wider selection of nozzles that would put out some larger droplets at the same pressure when that was desired.

But that's asking for more than these little 25 gallon sprayers were designed for. :) The pump and nozzles are pretty much matched for spraying your grounds/lawn with weed killer and liquid fertilizer. They do a good job of that......and if you clean the pump/tank after each job, prevent any freezing of liquids within, etc. ........it'll earn its keep and last for quite a while, too.

David