3 Point Log Skidder

ditchpig

Equipment
L1511dt
Jun 12, 2014
beamsville
thanks i put the blade there to keep the logs from smashing in to the back of the tractor but its funny you say for winching i picked up a receiver from a guy at work today that im going to mount a winch on it an have it so i can put it on the front an back for those hard to reach places its a learning curve were i live in southern ont there's not to many spots i cant get right to to but my property up by sudbury on the other hand it might just come in hand all keep you guys posted cheers

ditchpig

Equipment
L1511dt
Jun 12, 2014
beamsville
mine nope i don't believe so i own 127 acres about two hrs south of sudbury Ontario was my great grand dads home farm just got it back in the name two yrs ago for moose hunting but this spring i got alot to get done like fire wood lots of fire wood it was cold for moose hunting :)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I thought maybe you were up around the nickel mine, outside of Sudbury. I don't even know if its still operating any more.

ditchpig

Equipment
L1511dt
Jun 12, 2014
beamsville
ohh there not to far from my place little bit more north that's: a good idea maybe i should get some core samples taken :D:D:D;)

Stitchit1

Jul 27, 2014
Cheboygan, Mi
Im confused,..... The Timber Tuff TMW-03SS 25-Inch Swivel Grab Skidding Tongs --- Could I use those with a 3-point hitch to pick up logs without getting off the tractor? Would I need to do some welding of some sort?

I understand the concern of rolling/tipping the tractor while skidding a log... However, the 3-point hitch makes the actual lift point of log so far behind the actual tractor, that it seems to have the height one would need without much extra altering, or fabricating. Your thoughts?

Thank You!

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Im confused,..... The Timber Tuff TMW-03SS 25-Inch Swivel Grab Skidding Tongs --- Could I use those with a 3-point hitch to pick up logs without getting off the tractor? Would I need to do some welding of some sort?

I understand the concern of rolling/tipping the tractor while skidding a log... However, the 3-point hitch makes the actual lift point of log so far behind the actual tractor, that it seems to have the height one would need without much extra altering, or fabricating. Your thoughts?

Thank You!
If it was that simple many would do it. It's not just the weight that may tip you... but the combination of the weight and the forces created when dragging that create a tug backward on the tractor. closer that tug gets to center line of rear axle and especially above it, the more it creates tippyness. That though does not even include increased traction on rear wheels while also reducing weight at front wheels which also increases tippy potential.

Stitchit1

Jul 27, 2014
Cheboygan, Mi
I think Im starting to understand now....

How about this ---> Would I be "crazy" (not safe), to use my rear blade and simply chain the log to it?

I'm assuming the answer would be I could, provided I didn't lift the log too high? I'm trying to figure out the safest but yet most efficient way to get logs out of the woods, while it's frozen over:)

Thanks Gang!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I maybe wrong too but that's how I have moved a bunch of logs drop the blade gut them on top in the center chain it down lift the blade and off, never seemed to have a problem ,,my reasoning is that you are lifting the front end and dragging the back end so its not more than lifting the blade cause the weight is distributed over the whole length of the log,, but I have been wrong before

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
This is how older lighter Unimogs skidded logs. This setup is a professional one. What I like is how close to rear of Mog (Mogs are tractor and truck combined) and the lifting unit has a lip the log sits on. If the Mog starts to tilt back the very thing lifting the log acts like wheelie bars on a Drag race car

Attachments

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Attaching anything to a mounted 3 point implement, and pulling asks for a wheelie. I have an older farmi winch skidder, you drop the skidder, winch in the log(s) and then attach the logs as high as you can get them, then lift the skidder. When pulling if the butt end of the log (at front) hits a root or tree stump in the skidder road, it will pick up the front of the tractor. With small tractors, the safest thing to do would be to drag the log, with a chain attached to the drawbar pull point, below the PTO, as low as possible...:D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Pulling wood is risky business under any circumstance. Been cutting wood most of my life,trucks tractors skidders and atv's. Snowmobile on occasion too.seems conditions are different every year. Havent tried kubota yet. But this year we pick wood up at the landing,trailer it home. Winters worth of wood in one trip.

Only need to lift butt of logs a few inches off the ground, if you snag a stump,it usually drags over top without issue. We do our best to keep the trail decent, thats half the job in my opinion.
If lifting it as high as you can,throttle up and pick a tall gear,you are asking for it.